Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Straight Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Straight Talk The general Ex-Offender discussion forum. If you have done time, this forum is for you.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:39 PM

Default Mugshots

This is just a miniature rant. I made my bed, figuratively. Now, I must lie in it.
I've been what I would call a "model" probationer. It's been a touch over 3 years since my release, and the worst thing I've done is go about 5 miles over the speed limit to avoid an accident.

I don't go "out". I don't drink, dance or gamble. I don't date, either. With all the restitution I owe, student loans and other life expenses, I simply cannot afford it in the long run.

For kicks and grins, I decided that after 3 years, I think that I have enough saved up for a rainy day that I might treat myself to a little legal entertainment. Just a simple date. All I have to do now is meet whoever the girl should be.

However, I'm a bit intimidated. When I google my name, I see mugshots of myself in various different jurisdictions. What self-respecting woman is going to date someone whose face is on not one, but multiple mugshots.com websites for various jurisdictions?

I have thought about paying these rascals their heinous 65 dollar fee to remove the shot - but that's cost prohibitive - and it seems like a legal shake-down to me. I've taken steps to sort of "push" the bad news further down by using facebook, Twitter, myspace, klout, pinterest. So far, it's actually working okay. I've even got some positive press through volunteering. So, the news isn't ALL bad. And, I realize that there are a few folks left on the planet that don't own a computer and don't google everyone they meet - but I don't meet that many people in general, let alone folks that are technically oblivious.

Ok, pity party over.
Move along, nothing to see here.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bigpappy For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-26-2013), OffenderNoMore (06-12-2013), pj04 (05-26-2013), Real Checker (07-01-2014), SusanWayward (05-25-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2013, 05:17 PM

Good luck to you. I think that sounds nice. My guy has a couple out there and although they are not representative of his best day in looks or life achievements I have them saved to my computer and when I pull them up, I smile and say, "Yep he is all mine too." I love him even like that. He is handsome to me. Fear not, I have a feeling you will do just fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Miss_Olivia For This Useful Post:
bigpappy (05-25-2013)
Old 05-25-2013, 06:35 PM
WINNING! Admin

PTOQ Editorial Team Member 

Donation Award 

Thanked 37,877 Times in 10,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpappy View Post
What self-respecting woman is going to date someone whose face is on not one, but multiple mugshots.com websites for various jurisdictions?
Hey now bigpappy you are on a website surrounded by women who would and should take offense to that statement. It is entirely possible to meet genuine people who will want to spend time with you regardless of your past. Don't give up before you get started. If you have a particular hobby or interest, that is one way to meet like minded new friends and who knows could land you a date. Best of luck.

THIS CORRESPONDENCE
IS FROM A WOMAN IN LOVE
WITH A FORMER INMATE OF
THE ILLINOIS DEPARTMENT
OF CORRECTIONS

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Patty For This Useful Post:
choclgs (06-02-2013), OffenderNoMore (06-30-2014), sarbear831 (05-26-2013), SusanWayward (05-25-2013)
Old 05-26-2013, 08:34 AM
Lifecoach
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,209 Posts

Quote:
...For kicks and grins, I decided that after 3 years, I think that I have enough saved up for a rainy day that I might treat myself to a little legal entertainment. Just a simple date. All I have to do now is meet whoever the girl should be.

However, I'm a bit intimidated. When I google my name, I see mugshots of myself in various different jurisdictions. What self-respecting woman is going to date someone whose face is on not one, but multiple mugshots.com websites for various jurisdictions?
OK - some quick observations on your post.

1. You are witty.
2. You are fun.
3. You are responsible (or growing more so each day)
4. These are attractive traits.
5. You have reasonable expectations.
6. You are literate (something along the road to being "smart")

...I could go on.

Point being - we all screw up. Focus on the HUGE number of positives about you. Put yourself out there. Some "self-respecting woman" will find herself attracted to you, irrespective of your past. Maybe you'll get shot down by a few. So what?

Then maybe you won't. Stranger things have happened.
bigpappy (05-26-2013), choclgs (06-02-2013), esmarelda (07-07-2014), fbopnomore (05-26-2013), LBee (06-01-2013), NixsLadynTX (05-26-2013), OffenderNoMore (06-30-2014), Patty (06-29-2014), pj04 (05-26-2013), sarbear831 (05-26-2013), shadyz_gurl (06-01-2013), tds_9 (05-26-2013)
Old 05-26-2013, 08:57 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,958 Times in 2,167 Posts

I am pretty sure more than s few self respecting women on this site love a person who can be Googled and shown in a mug shot.
We love all the positive things about them.
Go focus on the good things and you will find someone who wants you,not the mythical perfect man.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:05 AM
i love him
Donation Award 

I met my man while he was out on parole. The first time we met he was still on the electronic monitoring. I made the decision to look past that and get to know him as a person, not him as a criminal. And the person that I met, the person that I fell in love with is the person I see. Not the one in any mug shot that you can find on the internet. Its all about the person you currently are and the person you want to be. If someone can't see past your past then they are not worthy of your love! So go ahead, take a leap, try to meet someone and just enjoy life!!!

Last edited by sarbear831; 05-26-2013 at 09:07 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarbear831 For This Useful Post:
NixsLadynTX (05-26-2013), OffenderNoMore (06-30-2014)
Old 05-26-2013, 10:32 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 31,580 Times in 15,764 Posts

bigpappy, you would do fine.

as an aside........DONT PAY to have your *mug shot removed*
sure they might remove it, but the others wont.
its a scam

That's my dog's nose art

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
LBee (06-01-2013), OffenderNoMore (06-30-2014), SusanWayward (06-01-2013)
Old 05-26-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
This is just a miniature rant. I made my bed, figuratively. Now, I must lie in it.
I've been what I would call a "model" probationer. It's been a touch over 3 years since my release, and the worst thing I've done is go about 5 miles over the speed limit to avoid an accident.

I don't go "out". I don't drink, dance or gamble. I don't date, either. With all the restitution I owe, student loans and other life expenses, I simply cannot afford it in the long run.

For kicks and grins, I decided that after 3 years, I think that I have enough saved up for a rainy day that I might treat myself to a little legal entertainment. Just a simple date. All I have to do now is meet whoever the girl should be.

I have thought about paying these rascals their heinous 65 dollar fee to remove the shot - but that's cost prohibitive - and it seems like a legal shake-down to me. I've taken steps to sort of "push" the bad news further down by using facebook, Twitter, myspace, klout, pinterest. So far, it's actually working okay. I've even got some positive press through volunteering. So, the news isn't ALL bad. And, I realize that there are a few folks left on the planet that don't own a computer and don't google everyone they meet - but I don't meet that many people in general, let alone folks that are technically oblivious.

Ok, pity party over.
In reality it doesn't matter about your past to the woman who is willing to accept you for who you are TODAY and not the person you WERE.

Your soul mate is out there waiting for you...you just have to be willing to find her.

As My Love would say... "You are too beautiful of a person not to be happy. You DESERVE to be happy."

Cheers
I can not change
COURAGE
To change the
Things I can and
WISDOM
To know the difference.
The Following User Says Thank You to NixsLadynTX For This Useful Post:
OffenderNoMore (06-30-2014)
Old 05-26-2013, 06:48 PM

Don't forget the fact that there are also women out there with their mugshots easily found. (such as myself) There just may be a woman out there who will appreciate having someone who can fully understand the difficulties and emotions that go along with such an unpleasant situation. Whatever you do, don't sell yourself short. You have far more to offer than you realize.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pj04 For This Useful Post:
Frankie96 (07-03-2014), OffenderNoMore (06-30-2014), SusanWayward (06-01-2013)
Old 05-26-2013, 07:20 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,111 Times in 1,200 Posts

I consider myself so lucky, the last time I was arrested was back in early 2007 just before the whole Mugshots.com craze really caught on. So I never made it on their radar.

It's really extortion, plain and simple. These slimy operators make all their money off of people's misery, taking advantage of a public service (sheriff's web-sites) and making a spectacle out of you unless you pay them money. "Shake-down" is right.

I don't see why law enforcement needs to release arrest info to the public anyway. It only opens the door to harassment and scams like these.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2013, 07:35 AM
Unrepentant Mule-Wearer
Donation Award 

Yeah, I wouldn't trust paying them to remove the mugshot, I have a feeling it would wind up right back up six months later. Plus, there are so many new mugshot sites springing up, it would be like playing whack-a-mole.

There are women out there who will accept you. Some will even think "bad boy" status makes you more attractive.

I am close to someone who dated while wearing an ankle bracelet and was totally open about it. He had no shortage of positive female attention, believe me.

But the mugshot thing does suck. And some of the companies are getting mugshots from state websites that do not permit the re-use of the photos. I am actually going to try to have something done about that in my state.
OffenderNoMore (06-30-2014), Wendy1918 (07-04-2014)
Old 06-29-2014, 05:54 PM

Just need to vent. I hate these sites, even more than I hate these Lockup Raw TV shows. Who consumes this stuff? If they really knew what it is like to be in Sheriff Joe's concentration camp or behind the walls of state prison, I wager they'd be on sites supporting reform in sentencing.
The Following User Says Thank You to NeverTooLateToG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2014, 06:14 PM

Thanked 5,993 Times in 3,116 Posts

Oh I'd venture to say if your open and honest about your past, there will be plenty of women who'd want to date you. I do get what your saying about the mugshot stuff though!! Besides the fact that nobody looks that good in a mugshot!!! LOL
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2014, 09:39 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,778 Times in 636 Posts

Considering my husband and I BOTH have several mugshots available; I would say that being who you are will make all the difference. We just had the honor of being googled by my daughter in law (who almost died) but she decided that we were good people in spite of our past. The funny part is that my son warned her to google us before she married him...guess it's too late now, she already knows us.

My point is this, yes, we made some seriously poor decisions but we learned from those and it's the lessons we learned that now define us. Any self respecting person, be it man or woman, is going to think about it. If they don't, then at the end of the day, they were not the one for you.

Be blessed!

Waiting, I have been in perpetual waiting. At the end of the waiting, my family will be reunited and complete. Until then, I will keep waiting, praying, and loving each one with patience and strength. I love you all, I miss you all....until that day comes.
The Following User Says Thank You to OffenderNoMore For This Useful Post:
Patty (06-30-2014)
Old 06-30-2014, 01:18 PM
Banned

I wish there was some way of shutting down those for-profit mugshot websites, or at least make them pay through some sort of class action lawsuit. I'm not a lawyer but I always thought you couldn't attempt to profit by using a photograph that someone else took without first obtaining the permission of the person or organization that took that picture. I wish some enterprising lawyer would look into suing these guys.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
OK - some quick observations on your post.

1. You are witty.
2. You are fun.
3. You are responsible (or growing more so each day)
4. These are attractive traits.
5. You have reasonable expectations.
6. You are literate (something along the road to being "smart")

...I could go on.

Point being - we all screw up. Focus on the HUGE number of positives about you. Put yourself out there. Some "self-respecting woman" will find herself attracted to you, irrespective of your past. Maybe you'll get shot down by a few. So what?

Then maybe you won't. Stranger things have happened.

This was my exact thought process right here! I would say go out have fun and be honest! I mean if your just on the dance floor or whatever hanging out, no need to tell them your life story but if your going to date them then yes, tell them! The two most amazing people I have ever met had a very dark past, felt they weren't "good enough" but they told me upfront they had a past and I told them that we all do!!!!! What matters is the now! And to tell her upfront is like a huge brownie point of TRUST! But DONT sell yourself short! And go have some fun! Life is WAY to short not to live it up, your responsibilities aren't going anywhere but your life IS passing by! Good luck, although from the looks of it I don't think you are going to have a problem! I mean look at all of is self respecting women..... We love men that aren't even free to go have fun with is yet!
The Following User Says Thank You to jennlee For This Useful Post:
xolady (07-01-2014)
Old 07-01-2014, 10:49 AM
attorney

Thanked 22,042 Times in 7,672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfGalway View Post
I wish there was some way of shutting down those for-profit mugshot websites, or at least make them pay through some sort of class action lawsuit. I'm not a lawyer but I always thought you couldn't attempt to profit by using a photograph that someone else took without first obtaining the permission of the person or organization that took that picture. I wish some enterprising lawyer would look into suing these guys.
You're talking copyright. Mugshots are taken by the government and are in the public domain. As the subject of the mugshot, you do not have a right to the content, nor remuneration for that content, nor can you assert the rights of the government for the government since, hey, they are specifically barred from making a profit from those mugshots and those mugshots are public record.

Voyeruistic sites like mugshot.com feed the same needs as posting mugshots and wanted posters in the post office back in the day.
The Following User Says Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
xolady (07-01-2014)
Old 07-01-2014, 02:35 PM

Thanked 1,628 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
If someone wanted to, they could run a mugshot business site out of the Ukraine, or China, or where ever they wanted to. It's the Internet.

It becomes far more than a trivial matter to impose U.S. laws on foreign businesses.

And as Yourself pointed out, you don't need the permission of people in a public setting to allow a picture to be printed, and mugshots are as public as pictures taken at baseball games.

All that said, the practice certainly borders on extortion - for whatever good that would do against a company running the sites out of some place like China.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:59 PM

"mugshots" aside........am I the only one reading this thread that wants to know if he ever met the "right one"????????? I'm curious about that...........I'd like to know how he's doing over a year later! (that's what I thought this was going to be about.....the follow-up) Or am I just being a hopeless romantic and looking for the fairy tale ending?????
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to D's baby For This Useful Post:
OffenderNoMore (07-03-2014), RedWoman76 (07-01-2014), xolady (07-07-2014), yourself (07-04-2014)
Old 07-03-2014, 09:47 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,778 Times in 636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's baby View Post
"mugshots" aside........am I the only one reading this thread that wants to know if he ever met the "right one"????????? I'm curious about that...........I'd like to know how he's doing over a year later! (that's what I thought this was going to be about.....the follow-up) Or am I just being a hopeless romantic and looking for the fairy tale ending?????
I am not too sure about the fairy tale ending (although my marriage would count as one of those) but I think for many of our singles out there, it is good to know that they are still fantastic, loveable people in spite of the choices they have made in the past. I, personally, would love to know how he is doing but more importantly, I want every one to know that there is someone out there for them. Be blessed in all that you do!

Waiting, I have been in perpetual waiting. At the end of the waiting, my family will be reunited and complete. Until then, I will keep waiting, praying, and loving each one with patience and strength. I love you all, I miss you all....until that day comes.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OffenderNoMore For This Useful Post:
D's baby (07-04-2014), Patty (07-03-2014)
Old 07-05-2014, 11:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post
You're talking copyright. Mugshots are taken by the government and are in the public domain. As the subject of the mugshot, you do not have a right to the content, nor remuneration for that content, nor can you assert the rights of the government for the government since, hey, they are specifically barred from making a profit from those mugshots and those mugshots are public record.

Voyeruistic sites like mugshot.com feed the same needs as posting mugshots and wanted posters in the post office back in the day.
A lawyer in Ohio by the name of Scott Ciolek has filed a class action lawsuit against a few of these for-profit, privately-run mugshot websites. Mr. Ciolek claims in his lawsuit that when these websites profit by using someone else's image, those websites are violating the publicity rights of those featured in the mugshots.

Last edited by SonOfGalway; 07-05-2014 at 11:46 AM..
Old 07-05-2014, 09:33 PM
attorney

Quote:
A lawyer in Ohio by the name of Scott Ciolek has filed a class action lawsuit against a few of these for-profit, privately-run mugshot websites. Mr. Ciolek claims in his lawsuit that when these websites profit by using someone else's image, those websites are violating the publicity rights of those featured in the mugshots.
Interesting - is that merely for mugshots of people who are considered public figures, like former Gov. Ryan and actor Nick Nolte? Or is he maintaining that those who are otherwise private citizens should be allowed to profit from their images, or at least be required to sign a waiver?

Publicity rights usually only extend to public and quasi public figures. Everybody else has privacy rights. If not limited to the famous, this would be a huge extension of publicity rights, as well as a different interpretation of "profit" since most of these websites are paid by advertisements, not by membership fees for views.

I highly doubt such a suit will work, but it would be interesting. Maybe there's a twist to Ohio law that allows such things.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post
Interesting - is that merely for mugshots of people who are considered public figures, like former Gov. Ryan and actor Nick Nolte? Or is he maintaining that those who are otherwise private citizens should be allowed to profit from their images, or at least be required to sign a waiver?

Publicity rights usually only extend to public and quasi public figures. Everybody else has privacy rights. If not limited to the famous, this would be a huge extension of publicity rights, as well as a different interpretation of "profit" since most of these websites are paid by advertisements, not by membership fees for views.
So public figures are entitled to legal rights that the non-famous are not? I don't believe that for a minute. That said, I don't believe any of the plaintiffs in the lawsuit are public figures.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:44 AM
attorney

Quote:
So public figures are entitled to legal rights that the non-famous are not? I don't believe that for a minute. That said, I don't believe any of the plaintiffs in the lawsuit are public figures.
Yes and no. Public figures are different, and have a different expectation of privacy than others (hence all the suits dealing with periodicals like "The Enquirer"). Further, since they routinely profit from their image, there can be another consideration. However, you still find Nick Nolte's and Bill Gate's mugshots on these sites without a problem with publicity rights (note, publicity rights are very different than privacy rights). Private people have different expectations of privacy than public people.

I still don't think that the Ohio case has much merit unless there's an irregularity in Ohio law that allows the suit a foothold.

Btw, this is a specialized area of first amendment rights that crosses over with intellectual property, in as much as a person's public profile is intellectual property.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:

Ok, pity party over.
I am sorry in advance, and I know it's not funny most of the time, but when I was arrested (no charge filed) I still had a mug shot and it's still online.

I had just buzzed my hair and that mug shot is one of my best pics.

I actually use it online (the identifying numbers or whatever they used must be computerized because it's just a pic in a jump suit) dating apps.

I've had a few of the people I unlock it for tell me "hmmm...that looks like a mugshot". And I just say "that's because it is".

It hasn't stopped anyone.