Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEVADA > Nevada Prison & Legal News, Info & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Nevada Prison & Legal News, Info & Events Current news items and information on events related to the Nevada prison, criminal justice system, as well as discuss legal topics

Old 03-11-2011, 11:10 PM
in Nevada's Dept of HELL

Default Bill advances to allow early parole; 517 current inmates eligible

CARSON CITY – A bill that would allow hundreds of prison inmates to apply for parole earlier has been approved by the Assembly Judiciary Committee with only two dissenting votes. Read more here
The Following User Says Thank You to Dointimetoo For This Useful Post:
Snowwolf (06-04-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2011, 10:16 AM

Just wanted to say thanks for this. I have been tracking this bill through that state gov website but it didn't say that it was going for a vote so now I know. Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alpine For This Useful Post:
Dointimetoo (04-18-2011)
Old 05-17-2011, 08:49 AM

Which inmates will be eligible though? I can't find out!
Old 05-17-2011, 09:06 AM
Waiting for James

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissEngland View Post
Which inmates will be eligible though? I can't find out!

Here is the link to the bill. Hope this helps.

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/7...s/AB/AB136.pdf

The Following User Says Thank You to gvillemomx2 For This Useful Post:
Snowwolf (06-04-2011)
Old 05-17-2011, 10:53 AM

I just read AB136 and it is the same as AB510 passed in July 2007, the only difference I can tell is that AB136 applies to the max AND the min sentence, where as AB510 only applies to min sentence.
The Following User Says Thank You to mclayton For This Useful Post:
Snowwolf (06-04-2011)
Old 05-28-2011, 10:22 AM

Default As far as I know this bill did infact pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dointimetoo View Post
CARSON CITY – A bill that would allow hundreds of prison inmates to apply for parole earlier has been approved by the Assembly Judiciary Committee with only two dissenting votes. Read more here
I believe it did totally pass now and will go into effect 2012 is what I am hearing, but my question is, who does it apply too for sure?
My finance is on on 2nd felony dui no bodily harm this time, the first time years ago there was.
but not this time.
he got 4-10 and of course they are saying no time can come off the front,
that our only real hope is this bill/new law and we have asked everyone we could think of and all he is getting is a zillion different answers

its so confusing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nirvanagurl For This Useful Post:
Snowwolf (06-04-2011)
Old 05-30-2011, 07:32 PM
Waiting for James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvanagurl View Post
I believe it did totally pass now and will go into effect 2012 is what I am hearing, but my question is, who does it apply too for sure?
My finance is on on 2nd felony dui no bodily harm this time, the first time years ago there was.
but not this time.
he got 4-10 and of course they are saying no time can come off the front,
that our only real hope is this bill/new law and we have asked everyone we could think of and all he is getting is a zillion different answers

its so confusing.
I have heard that it excludes all DUI offenders. But I am not 100%, good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to gvillemomx2 For This Useful Post:
Snowwolf (06-04-2011)
Old 05-31-2011, 03:30 PM

This is the 2007 Bill that is in effect now. And sorry it does not apply to DUI

New prison rules won't mean immediate release of inmates

July, 2 2007
Geoff dornan
Appeal Capitol Bureau
Prison officials say the changes in good-time credits for inmates won't immediately release large numbers of inmates into Nevada cities and towns.

Deputy Director for Offender Management Fritz Schlottman said the immediate impact of the new rules will be to make more inmates eligible for parole hearings. In order to get out, they will still have to convince the parole board they aren't a danger to society.

He made the statements in response to inmates and family members thinking they would get immediately released and concerned residents and law enforcement worried that would be the result.

Schlottman said, however, the new law will expire the sentences of a number of inmates currently on parole, freeing them from supervision.

The rule changes for awarding good-time credits were contained in AB510, which was approved by the 2007 Legislature as one means of reducing prison overcrowding. The new law doubles the amount of good-time credits an inmate can earn to 20 days per month. It also doubles the credits earned for such things as completing a drug rehabilitation programs or earning a general education diploma.

But there are two key provisions that officials say will reduce the prison population over the coming year. First, the new rules apply retroactively to July 2000 for inmates who meet the criteria and to July 2006 for those inmates already on parole. So an inmate who completed a degree or program in the past seven years and who has had good conduct through that time will get the added credits.

Second, for nonviolent offenders the credits apply to the minimum sentence the inmate has to serve before becoming eligible for parole.

For those convicted of felony violence, sex offenses, driving under the influence or any Category A or B felony - the most serious crimes - the credits don't reduce minimum sentences, so those inmates won't be able to get out any earlier. But they do apply the credits to maximum sentences for those inmates.

Schlottman testified during legislative hearings on the changes the idea is to get nonviolent inmates who are no longer considered a danger to society out of the prison system faster and to divert more inmates to alternative programs such as drug court and residential confinement.

He said over time, the changes should have a significant impact on the prison population.

As of this week, there were more than 13,000 inmates in Nevada's prison system, well above what prison officials expected when the Legislature began in February.

As a result, some program areas, including gymnasiums, at Nevada's institutions have been converted into inmate living quarters.

The worst overcrowding is in the women's institutions, which are at their maximum capacity, forcing prison officials to house some of them in a wing of a Southern Nevada men's prison.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mclayton For This Useful Post:
Dointimetoo (05-31-2011), Snowwolf (06-04-2011)