Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > VIRGINIA > Virginia General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Virginia General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Virginia that do not fit into any other Virginia sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 06-22-2019, 04:17 PM

Default Social Security Card Scam in VA DOC

In the re-entry program at Coffeewood CC, an inmate with 6 months has to participate. Once entering the program, an inmate has to fill out paperwork for his social security card and for his birth certificate so he will have them upon release. They charge $18 for the set. This helps ex-felons get an ID,

Well, I moved to Michigan under an Interstate Compact agreement and when I was released I noticed I didn't have my SS card. I paid for it and they had ample time to get a copy for me. When I arrived at the Social Security Office in a nearby area, the man told me that it was illegal for them to charge us for the SS card AND that they are not supposed to get our cards for us per their policy at the SS office. I showed him documentation that I was charged and that they did not give it to me. They have been doing this for YEARS. The employee also told me that there was no cost for the SS card so why in the heck is the VA DOC charging inmates? And, I never received mine. Good luck getting an ID without the card. He let it slide because of my situation and he was kind enough to help and explain to me what the policy actually was and is.

I am calling down on Monday and I will make a formal complain to stop this scam. I have already advised others on the inside on what is going on. Just giving the heads up...
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2019, 04:34 PM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 23,171 Times in 8,182 Posts

Be aware that there is a fee for obtaining the birth certificate so that may be how they justify the expense.

I'm sorry you didn't get your card, I can imagine the headache it's caused. If you got the birth certificate or you already had one, that should help you navigate SS. If not, oh boy. We had to reach out to a family member who was willing to sign an affidavit that my husband was who he said he was because he had zero forms of ID when he was arrested.

Best of luck to you.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Be aware that there is a fee for obtaining the birth certificate so that may be how they justify the expense.

I'm sorry you didn't get your card, I can imagine the headache it's caused. If you got the birth certificate or you already had one, that should help you navigate SS. If not, oh boy. We had to reach out to a family member who was willing to sign an affidavit that my husband was who he said he was because he had zero forms of ID when he was arrested.

Best of luck to you.

There is a fee that goes to the department that issues the birth certificate. I found out that was true online. The DOC doesn't collect a fee on that. The employee told me that they cannot charge a fee for the SS card and that technically they cannot get the SS cards for inmates on the inside because there are some who are illegal in this country. I had all of the paperwork and I did receive my birth certificate and showed him my release paper with a photo...no dice. It was frustrating but he let it slide so I should get my card in a week or so.

I am going to call on Monday down at the prison I was at and see their stance. Thanks for your comment. I just wanted to let people know just in case they run into the same problem. Have a great weekend.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ex Con 5 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-23-2019), miamac (06-22-2019)