Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MARYLAND > Maryland Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Maryland Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service All information & questions relating to parole, probation, half-way houses or release in Maryland should be posted here.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:59 AM

Default Private Home Detention eligibility: Any insight on how that process works?

I have a loved one who may be eligible for private home detention in Maryland. Can someone give any insight on how that process works? I'd rather my LO be at home than in jail.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2018, 03:37 PM

Where is your LO now? My boyfriend was at Baltimore County Detention Center and his public defender had to put in a sentence modification for home detention for him to be eligible. Luckily the judge granted the request. If he’s never been on home detention before talk to his attorney and have them put on a request to the judge.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:47 PM

Kelcey thanks for your response. My LO is currently at home but he got in trouble for stealing percs from a pharmacy. This is the first time he’s ever been in trouble so his public defender is requesting home detention so that he can keep his job. He would have to pay for this. I never heard of paying for home detention but I guess it’s better than being in jail. Are they are trying to rip him and his mom off? I thought home detention was free!!
Old 01-13-2018, 09:55 PM

No. It’s kind of like probation. He had to pay I think $55-$75 a week? Not sure though and you still had to report to the jail every week as well to do a drug/alcohol test. If you failed/didn’t show up they’d lock you up on the spot, which is why you had to report directly at the jail. But just like everything else, it definitely isn’t free ��
Old 01-13-2018, 10:52 PM

Wow! I thought it was some type of scam and couldnít believe that the PD would recommend this. We are in Prince Georgeís County and one company wants $18 per day for the ankle bracelet. I always thought the state covered the fees. You are basically paying to keep from going to prison. Like you said Kelcey, nothing is free.

Iím pretty ignorant about the system and need to do more research. I have several friends who have done time in Hagerstown and Jessup for drug related stuff and home detention was never offered as an option.

Thanks Kelcey!
Old 01-14-2018, 01:15 AM

I don’t think if you’re sent to prison you can be eligible for home detention lol my boyfriend violated while in HD, they violated him but still released him despite postponing his hearing (he technically served his sentence) but now is in prison thanks to his pyscho ex wife. My ex got a year sentence for leaving a rehab. Yet there’s murderers and child/rapist who get >5 years? I HATE Maryland’s justice system. It makes no sense!!!!!
Old 01-14-2018, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelcey1282 View Post
I donít think if youíre sent to prison you can be eligible for home detention lol my boyfriend violated while in HD, they violated him but still released him despite postponing his hearing (he technically served his sentence) but now is in prison thanks to his pyscho ex wife. My ex got a year sentence for leaving a rehab. Yet thereís murderers and child/rapist who get >5 years? I HATE Marylandís justice system. It makes no sense!!!!!
OMG!!! Your bf violated why he was on HD and you were paying for it??? Were you using a private HD company or did the state hook him up? Where is your bf now?? How are you making out??...they say that we do the time along with our bfís and Iím sure itís not easy.

You are absolutely correct about the prison system, itís not fair. I know someone who got 10 years for distributing narcotics (he was deemed a kingpin) and I also know someone who did 10 years for murder but he pleaded it down to manslaughter. Go figure!!!
Old 01-14-2018, 01:28 PM

No! I wasn’t paying for it lol this was around the time we met. And I guess it was through the state. I don’t know if there are private HD programs lol because it’s bascialky up to the judge. My BF just got transferred to BrockBridge. I didn’t even know he was being transferred until I went to go see him. I haven’t even spoken to him since Thursday. I’m doing okay. Unfortunately my ex was in and out of jail our whole 5 year relationship I’m used to this. But my bf now will be out this year so I’m okay. It just sucks cause I was literally a mile away from the jail he was at previously now he’s over 30 min away and I don’t have a car so I don’t know when I’ll get to see him. I just hope he calls soon.

The court system and jails and everything.... it just doesn’t make sense. Did you know that if a judge issued a FTA warrant, and they catch the guy, the commissioner of the jail has the authority over the judge and police to release him? A friend and I have been trying to get this guy to court for a stolen vehicle and he keeps not showing up yet they’ve arrested him 4 times since the very first hearing (to which he was a no show) and they keep on releasing him!! And my friend has to drive down from upstate New York for NOTHING every time!!!! I sickens me.

Does your LO have a hearing yet?
Old 12-30-2018, 07:07 PM

My nephew got in some trouble and we got him out on private home detention in Prince George’s County. I know how it works now. We used Ace Monitoring Private Home Detention for his pre-trial release and hope the judge keeps him on for his sentence. He needs to keep his job. Thank god we didn’t have to wait months for county approval.