Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEVADA > Nevada Prison & Legal News, Info & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Nevada Prison & Legal News, Info & Events Current news items and information on events related to the Nevada prison, criminal justice system, as well as discuss legal topics

Old 05-14-2011, 11:12 PM
in Nevada's Dept of HELL

Default Historical NV prison, work camp to close next year

Nevada lawmakers voted Saturday to close the state's oldest, most symbolic prison next spring, a decision that has been debated for years and promises to alter the community that has housed it since the mid-1800s.

READ MORE HERE
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2011, 11:14 PM
in Nevada's Dept of HELL

Default Door to clang shut on ancient state prison (NSP closing next year)

CARSON CITY – The ancient Nevada State Prison, initially opened when Abraham Lincoln was president, is finally going to close.

READ MORE HERE
Old 05-15-2011, 01:22 AM
Waiting for James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dointimetoo View Post
CARSON CITY – The ancient Nevada State Prison, initially opened when Abraham Lincoln was president, is finally going to close.

READ MORE HERE

This is not good news.......
More overcrowding at all the other already overcrowded prisons, jobs lost, longer more expensive travel times for family members....this is not good news at all....

Old 05-15-2011, 01:47 AM
in Nevada's Dept of HELL

Yeah it is really sad, for the families of the inmates being moved. From what I read it's not the only one closing.

"The committees also voted to shut down the 150-bed honor camp at Wells. Sandoval initially recommended its closure but then pumped more than $2 million to keep it open.

Inmates in the camp are used to battle range fires in northeast Nevada and they chop wood and clean snow on the sidewalks of senior citizens during the winter months.

The Wells camp will also be phased out, closing in June 2012."
Old 05-15-2011, 08:15 PM
Doin time on the outside

Default NSP closing

I just got word from my boyfriend yesterday who is an inmate at NSP that it is closing and most inmates will be transferred to High Desert within the next six months.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:18 AM
Waiting for James

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgolding View Post
I just got word from my boyfriend yesterday who is an inmate at NSP that it is closing and most inmates will be transferred to High Desert within the next six months.

So sorry.....does this cause a hardship? The article says some will be sent to NNCC in Carson. Maybe that will be the case for you. I understand the visiting at High Desert is terrible. The panel did not take into consideration the families if all these men.

The Following User Says Thank You to gvillemomx2 For This Useful Post:
kgolding (05-16-2011)
Old 05-16-2011, 08:45 AM

My husband is at NSP and word has it that they will start shipping them out as soon as next week. I came from the UK and we bought a house 2 miles from the prison. Now I, like many others, face a 6-7 hour drive (each way) for a 3 hour visit. My car only gets 7-8 miles to the gallon so you can imagine!!
We have been spoiled with visits with me living so close. Now we have to go through what others have been doing - visiting once a month and travelling a long way to do it. Luckily there is a motel close to High Desert. We are lucky in that we have no house or car payment to make but I feel for the people who do have these bills along with children.
I have also heard that there are no microwaves there and that they are still shipping drinking water in every day. Don't know how true this is as I have never had many dealings with HDSP but it doesn't sound too encouraging. My husband doesn't eat in the chow hall but allegedly, by the time you get your food it's stone cold anyway. I've also been told that visiting is sporadic at best because of the amount of inmates they warehouse. The guys from NSP are supposedly going into the newly built 'phase 5' part of the prison so at least they'll have air conditioned units.
The only people who will be going to NNCC will be the sick ones as that's where the Medical Unit is, and there isn't one down south. The last I heard is that culinary workers will go to Warm Springs and Ad Seg will go to Ely.
The Following User Says Thank You to brk103 For This Useful Post:
kgolding (05-16-2011)
Old 05-16-2011, 09:12 AM
in Nevada's Dept of HELL

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk103 View Post
My husband is at NSP and word has it that they will start shipping them out as soon as next week. I came from the UK and we bought a house 2 miles from the prison. Now I, like many others, face a 6-7 hour drive (each way) for a 3 hour visit. My car only gets 7-8 miles to the gallon so you can imagine!!
We have been spoiled with visits with me living so close. Now we have to go through what others have been doing - visiting once a month and traveling a long way to do it. Luckily there is a motel close to High Desert. We are lucky in that we have no house or car payment to make but I feel for the people who do have these bills along with children.
I have also heard that there are no microwaves there and that they are still shipping drinking water in every day. Don't know how true this is as I have never had many dealings with HDSP but it doesn't sound too encouraging. My husband doesn't eat in the chow hall but allegedly, by the time you get your food it's stone cold anyway. I've also been told that visiting is sporadic at best because of the amount of inmates they warehouse. The guys from NSP are supposedly going into the newly built 'phase 5' part of the prison so at least they'll have air conditioned units.
The only people who will be going to NNCC will be the sick ones as that's where the Medical Unit is, and there isn't one down south. The last I heard is that culinary workers will go to Warm Springs and Ad Seg will go to Ely.
Being as that you are traveling so far you can contact HDSP and see if you can get an all day visit. It goes on the amount of miles and time it takes to get there in order to qualify for this type of visit. You are allowed the special all day visit once a month. It will be a 6 hour visit instead of only 3 hours.

They do have microwaves in the visiting room. There use to be two in there but one broke a couple of weeks ago and it has to be replaced. It has never been an issue and they are pretty quick in getting that done. I don't know what you're talking about with shipping drinking water in as my husband hasn't said anything about this. I will ask, because I didn't even know they got drinking water and just got the water that came out of the sink. LOL

I have never had an issue with getting appointments for visit. You can call 10 days in advance for the appointments. When you call in, if you are trying for an all day visit, you will have to speak with the AWO's secretary. About the only time people have had serious issues getting appointments are around major holidays.

Visiting isn't that bad at HDSP. You go in, sign in at 8 AM. You go into another section and wait for them to come get you to search you, turn in your ID, and then you are sent to the visiting room right up the hill. You walk in, go to the CO's desk, give your name and who you are visiting and they tell you what table you will be sitting. He is not allowed to go to the vending machines but you can get what he wants, warm it and sit at the table. It's very relaxed in there, I feel. I have been in worse places visiting in Nevada and HDSP isn't that bad.

My only advice is to make sure you make your appointments, get your conformation number, and get there before 8 AM. If you can make an all day visit. Call into the gatehouse and ask to speak the person that does the all day visiting scheduling.

I feel badly for everyone that now has to drive a good distance to visit their loved ones. HDSP has a lot of inmates housed there but visiting isn't as bad as some people say it is, or I don't think so anyway. I always say it could be worse as I have seen it worse. LOL I use to drive to Ely to visit my husband, and I was happy when he got moved here. I can only imagine the loved ones living in the area of NSP and now having to drive down south. I know it's one hell of a drive especially in the winter months due the snow on the ground.

I hope the move goes smoothly for all the guys and there are no issues. If you have any questions about HDSP I can try to answer them as best as I can. If I can't I will find the place, or person for you to contact to get the answers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dointimetoo For This Useful Post:
brk103 (05-16-2011), kgolding (05-16-2011)
Old 05-16-2011, 09:46 AM
in Nevada's Dept of HELL

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillemomx2 View Post
So sorry.....does this cause a hardship? The article says some will be sent to NNCC in Carson. Maybe that will be the case for you. I understand the visiting at High Desert is terrible. The panel did not take into consideration the families if all these men.
Ha! I have never heard of the "panel" ever taking anyone into consideration other than the guards and the administration that works there. I have to say these people have to be the most self centered people I have ever seen in my life. They are giving the people that work there an extra six months to find other work or move down south. They sure didn't take into consideration the loved ones that have to drive miles upon miles to get to their loved ones. I'm not trying to sound callous but I learned a long time ago that the NDOC could careless about the inmates and their families. They are the last on the list with any decision they are trying to make.

I'm sure it's going to cause hardship for a good many of families and I hate knowing that for them. With the gas prices and also the amount of time and with visiting being on weekdays for some, it's going to be very hard for them to get there often to visit their loved one. Then the phone calls are going to cost more and all kinds of things. I feel sorry for all of them having to move and leave their loved ones. I feel sorry for the families that have loved ones moving so far away from them, too. Prison is hard enough and knowing that you are going hundred of miles away from your home, your family and friends has to be a hard thing to handle for them.

I just hope and pray it all goes smoothly and nothing serious happens in the process of the moving of all the men.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dointimetoo For This Useful Post:
kgolding (05-16-2011)
Old 05-16-2011, 08:07 PM
Doin time on the outside

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillemomx2 View Post
Yes, it will be a longer drive for me as well. I live in Mammoth Lakes, Ca and spoiled to driving 2 hours to Carson City. Now I will be driving about 4 hours. My boyfriend was transfered to NSP from High Desert a year ago and now he has to go back. He says it's a terrible place. The food is bad, the visiting sucks and the guards harrass the inmates. He works in the kitchen as a dishwasher so I don't think he would be concidered one of the culinary staff that get to go to Warm Springs unfortunatly. He is a lifer and has already done 31 years so he just does his own thing and wants to be left alone. He is trying to get them to send him to Lovelock instead so we are praying for that but you know how that goes. Maybe those of us up here in the north can carpool to High Desert ? Just a thought.

Last edited by kgolding; 05-16-2011 at 08:09 PM..
Old 08-07-2011, 03:28 AM
in Nevada's Dept of HELL

Default NSP is closing is ahead of schedule

NSP spokesman says inmates are being moved as space becomes available --- By Geoff Dornan - Nevada Appeal

Union members are objecting to what they say are plans to shutter the old Nevada State Prison months ahead of the deadline set by the 2011 Legislature.

Prison spokesman Steve Suwe denied that, saying the prison will remain open until March 31, 2012. But he said corrections officials are moving inmates and staff to other prisons as bed space and jobs become available.

In a letter to Cox, the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees objected not only to the accelerated closure schedule but the statements by Warden E.K. McDaniel that it wouldn't be possible to assign transferring officers to the prison of their choice based on seniority.

READ MORE HERE
The Following User Says Thank You to Dointimetoo For This Useful Post:
Britrdazahead13 (08-31-2011)