Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Criminal Legal Help!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Criminal Legal Help! Ask questions, get opinions, and find resources on dealing with criminal justice legal issues, appeals, and more..

Old 05-28-2019, 12:06 PM

Default Will I be considered a snitch?

Iím in a strange situation, Iíll try to keep it short and sweet as I can. 3 years ago I allowed my friend to move in with me and my parents. He eventually stole $500 from my father. My father calls the police and tells me if I donít make a statement about what my friend stole then he wonít pay my college tuition. I make a statement that my friend did in fact steal from my father. Fast forward 3 years and my friend is finally in jail and awaiting his hearing for the case. About one week ago I was jumped and robbed by his friends, because they said they found paperwork of my statement against my friend. Iíve received a subpoena to go to my friends court case as a witness, and there I plan to recant my statement. I might be heading to jail soon as the same people that jumped me put drugs in my backpack when we got pulled over for a routine traffic stop and the cops searched the car because they smelled weed. The cops found the drugs in my backpack, and now Iím being charged for it. They told me if I snitch on them I can avoid any punishment, I donít plant to do this... So if/when I go to jail, will I be considered a snitch for being on my friends paperwork? Will I receive any leniency for not snitching in this most recent scenario? Thank you for any feed back as all this is really causing me a lot of stress. Oh and yes, I definitely need new friends lol.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2019, 12:39 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 5,927 Times in 2,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDaKoTa1 View Post
I’m in a strange situation, I’ll try to keep it short and sweet as I can. 3 years ago I allowed my friend to move in with me and my parents. He eventually stole $500 from my father. My father calls the police and tells me if I don’t make a statement about what my friend stole then he won’t pay my college tuition. I make a statement that my friend did in fact steal from my father. Fast forward 3 years and my friend is finally in jail and awaiting his hearing for the case. About one week ago I was jumped and robbed by his friends, because they said they found paperwork of my statement against my friend. I’ve received a subpoena to go to my friends court case as a witness, and there I plan to recant my statement. I might be heading to jail soon as the same people that jumped me put drugs in my backpack when we got pulled over for a routine traffic stop and the cops searched the car because they smelled weed. The cops found the drugs in my backpack, and now I’m being charged for it. They told me if I snitch on them I can avoid any punishment, I don’t plant to do this... So if/when I go to jail, will I be considered a snitch for being on my friends paperwork? Will I receive any leniency for not snitching in this most recent scenario? Thank you for any feed back as all this is really causing me a lot of stress. Oh and yes, I definitely need new friends lol.

Let me un-strange this for you.

Tell them what happened and why. Not only will the people who jumped you face punishment, but chances are your "friend" who this all started with will also face witness tampering charges.

"But won't this subject me to possible further issues?" Dude. (Yes, I'm from California, so DUDE.) It's a drug charge on the dumb asses and what probably equates to a petty theft charge. Your "friend" basically is subjecting himself to a potential felony charge for witness intimidation (and they're all accessories.) If you don't stand up for yourself now, you can expect them to keep pushing you around, and to be a target in jail. Not to mention it sends a message to those idiots that all they have to do is intimidate and they'll get away with it. This is a theft and an assault/tampering situation, not some big murder charge or something someone's going to do life for. These guys are knuckleheads. Seriously. Let the police and the District Attorney put them in their place.

Tell the truth and separate yourself from these people now. Unless you like this sort of b.s. happening and plan to stay involved with folks like this, in which case please, go ahead, keep your mouth shut.

-Eric

"I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
-Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by missingdee; 05-28-2019 at 12:43 PM..
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to missingdee For This Useful Post:
DailyLimitReach (05-30-2019), jessesgirl1111 (05-30-2019), jordan321 (05-28-2019), joybubby (05-28-2019), marie8899 (06-11-2019), MizzyMuffling (05-28-2019), Ms Sunny (05-28-2019), sidewalker (05-29-2019), Sunnielg (05-29-2019), trauma4us (05-28-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 12:43 PM

So your telling me if i snitch Iíll be a target in jail? I already plan to never speak to these individuals again, but I feel like if I snitch now Iíll have a hard time in wherever jail I go...
Old 05-28-2019, 01:03 PM

R u planning on going to jail or something lol.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:09 PM

No I donít plan to but if I ever do go to like from protecting my family or something, I wanna know if my Rep is tarnished forever because I made a statement
Old 05-28-2019, 01:10 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDaKoTa1 View Post
So your telling me if i snitch I’ll be a target in jail? I already plan to never speak to these individuals again, but I feel like if I snitch now I’ll have a hard time in wherever jail I go...

I'm telling you that you're probably going to be a target in jail either way if you're setting yourself up to be a patsy like some of these folks apparently are already doing to you. Your sentence is not likely to be that long. And while, granted, you should speak to your attorney, the reality is, if you're being intimidated, you should probably make these folks get their due if you're done being around them.

If you DO go to jail, because of the circumstances, you're likely to serve the time in Protective Custody if you speak.

If you don't speak, you'll probably be more vulnerable and exposed than if you do.

As to your "rep," that doesn't really matter if you stop hanging around with knuckleheads.

Also your chances of going to jail lessen significantly in this situation if you tell the truth. Consider this: recant your statement? Add a perjury charge.

The only "win" here is to minimize your jail time and get away from these people.

-Eric

"I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
-Thomas Jefferson
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to missingdee For This Useful Post:
MizzyMuffling (05-28-2019), safran (05-28-2019), sidewalker (05-29-2019), Sunnielg (05-29-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 04:24 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,035 Times in 12,727 Posts

The same folks who assaulted you are the same ones you are afraid to testify against? They already know you gave a statement in the old theft case, so recanting your statement to the police could subject you to criminal charges, perjury if you do it in court while under oath. These "friends" are toxic, so the best thing you can do is find a way to get away from them permanently.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:50 PM
attorney

Thanked 21,765 Times in 7,600 Posts

Recant your statement. Guaranteed the prosecution is going to at least threaten you with perjury charges. Worst case scenario, you ass goes directly from court to jail while your erstwhile friend is eating home cooking, sleeping in his own bed.

Come on - you made a statement under oath. Stick to the truth. Don't commit a crime by recanting.

You need to talk with the Prosecutor about getting jumped, etc.

Btw, snitch or not, if you do go to prison, how do you think all those friends of your friend are going to treat you knowing that you would rather let their boy steal $500 from your granddad than stand up to him? How to you think they are going to treat you knowing that you intimidate and protect the felons so easily? Yeah, if you think, “snitches get stitches” is bad, go in as a known punk.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-29-2019), maytayah (05-29-2019), MizzyMuffling (05-28-2019), Ms Sunny (05-28-2019), sidewalker (05-29-2019), Sunnielg (05-29-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingdee View Post
Let me un-strange this for you.

Tell them what happened and why. Not only will the people who jumped you face punishment, but chances are your "friend" who this all started with will also face witness tampering charges.

"But won't this subject me to possible further issues?" Dude. (Yes, I'm from California, so DUDE.) It's a drug charge on the dumb asses and what probably equates to a petty theft charge. Your "friend" basically is subjecting himself to a potential felony charge for witness intimidation (and they're all accessories.) If you don't stand up for yourself now, you can expect them to keep pushing you around, and to be a target in jail. Not to mention it sends a message to those idiots that all they have to do is intimidate and they'll get away with it. This is a theft and an assault/tampering situation, not some big murder charge or something someone's going to do life for. These guys are knuckleheads. Seriously. Let the police and the District Attorney put them in their place.

Tell the truth and separate yourself from these people now. Unless you like this sort of b.s. happening and plan to stay involved with folks like this, in which case please, go ahead, keep your mouth shut.

-Eric

If you do go to prison you aren't supposed to tell anyone why you are there anyway, if you don't want to have a charge that would piss anyone off in prison.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:14 PM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 21,900 Times in 7,765 Posts

You already gave a statement so the cops have nothing to bargain with, if I read that correctly.

This all seems a bit blown out of proportion. $500 isn't exactly a shocking amount of money when it comes to theft and unless it was enough weed in your bag to add intent to distribute, you're not going to prison.
The butt-kicking you already got is likely the worst thing you'll see out of this. No, do not recant. Yes, tell the truth. If the drugs were planted, tell them that. Take whatever probation or petty charge they give you, get new friends and move on with your life.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
maytayah (05-29-2019), missingdee (05-29-2019), Sarianna (05-29-2019), sidewalker (05-29-2019), Sunnielg (05-29-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 08:06 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,669 Times in 15,311 Posts

I'd have to agree with Mia.
I think that even if you risked recanting, you would still be regarded as a *snitch*
Since you mentioned the smell of weed is why everyone got searched and they found drugs in your backpack.......Assuming it was pot?
From the little Ive read re: PA laws in some counties small amounts have been decrimininalized. (sp?) So Im guessing this was more than a small amount.

Still agree with mia. Dont recant.

Tho unless someone from the group of *friends* fesses up as to who's pot it was.....you may be on the hook for that.
For sure talk with your attny.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-29-2019), jessesgirl1111 (05-30-2019), missingdee (05-29-2019), Sarianna (05-29-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 03:57 PM

I agree with everyone. You should say the truth and stay safe
Old 05-29-2019, 07:12 PM

I am torn by this situation but some of it sounds stupid. Like getting caught with weed in her back pack. I would have thought that she would know all about hiding it somewhere else because her dad is a ball of fire.

I hope that she pays better attention to what goes on around her
Old 05-30-2019, 02:29 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignbeau View Post
I am torn by this situation but some of it sounds stupid. Like getting caught with weed in her back pack. I would have thought that she would know all about hiding it somewhere else because her dad is a ball of fire.

I hope that she pays better attention to what goes on around her

While I am not 100% certain of this, my impression is that OP is male...

-Eric

-Thomas Jefferson
The Following User Says Thank You to missingdee For This Useful Post:
jessesgirl1111 (05-30-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 11:46 AM

Is this the same one where the friend” sent someone to beat you up?
Old 06-11-2019, 12:45 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

3 months in "prison"?

What state is this?

3 months is County Time most places. Out in 45 days in most jurisdictions. Less than that in Los Angeles these days. Nobody's going to care. Literally NOBODY is going to care. It's not like you snitched on some mob boss or a murder case. Nobody is going to want to lose their date over you "snitching" over $700 and your buddy getting probation 5 years ago. Either you're over-paranoid, or you are vastly understating what happened.

Again, stay away from these people. And maybe consider staying away from drugs since this is apparently a "repeat" offense. Sounds like they're not doing you any favors.

-Thomas Jefferson
The Following User Says Thank You to missingdee For This Useful Post:
jessesgirl1111 (06-13-2019)