Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MISSOURI > Missouri Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Missouri Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Missouri

Old 02-03-2018, 11:39 AM

Default No Education at Farmington Correctional Center in Missouri?

Hello. I am new here. My husband is in the Farmington Correctional Center in Farmington Missouri. I was told that other than GED classes and religious education they do not allow inmates to acquire any other education even if the family pays for it and is sent to them by a university. I tried to find information online about this but have not been able to. I know other facilities in Missouri allow this and was confused when told that this facility does not. I work 10 hour days and can not make a lot of phone calls during the week which makes it hard for me to find out anything on my own. If anyone can find out something or have any information it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Fidelity
The Following User Says Thank You to Fidelity For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-03-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2018, 02:21 PM

Default Call JC

Fidelity Sounds like you should call Constituent Services in Jeff City 573 751 2389 and ask them the regulations on furthering the education of your loved one. They actually have been helpful with my issues, but at times I've had to keep calling them (persistence is often needed). Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to krakatoakt For This Useful Post:
Fidelity (03-28-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelity View Post
Hello. I am new here. My husband is in the Farmington Correctional Center in Farmington Missouri. I was told that other than GED classes and religious education they do not allow inmates to acquire any other education even if the family pays for it and is sent to them by a university. I tried to find information online about this but have not been able to. I know other facilities in Missouri allow this and was confused when told that this facility does not. I work 10 hour days and can not make a lot of phone calls during the week which makes it hard for me to find out anything on my own. If anyone can find out something or have any information it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Fidelity
Farmington Correctional Center is a treatment only center and sex offender re-entry program. There is no general population wing on that camp. So other than basic GED and religious based courses, they would have no reason to offer continued education. GED is part of TAP-Transitional Accountability Plan that offenders plan and set with their Case Manager. If you don't have a High School Diploma or HSE you are required to participate in classes to obtain your GED while incarcerated.

Other than that, Treatment is to address behavior/personality/substance abuse issues.

MOSOP is targeted and designed for offenders to change thinking and behavior patterns in regard to the offender's ability to not commit sexual based crimes.

Continued education really has no place nor is there time for offenders to work on it as your stay at Farmington would be very short, usually less than 1 year left or less remaining on your sentence or projected outdate.