Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > WISCONSIN > Wisconsin Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Wisconsin Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Wisconsin Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc

Old 10-23-2017, 06:30 PM

Default Is it possible he will get an early release?

Hi there I'm brand new. My man was just sentenced to 3 years in Wisconsin prison. He is now at Dodge Correctional Institute awaiting placement. His sentence was 7 years 3 in 4 on paper. It also said he was eligible for a treatment program which we believe would give him early release. However he has one charge among his others which is a section 940.32 or stalking his ex. Which he didn't do but whatever. Is there any possible chance he will get that early release
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tresa58 View Post
Hi there I'm brand new. My man was just sentenced to 3 years in Wisconsin prison. He is now at Dodge Correctional Institute awaiting placement. His sentence was 7 years 3 in 4 on paper. It also said he was eligible for a treatment program which we believe would give him early release. However he has one charge among his others which is a section 940.32 or stalking his ex. Which he didn't do but whatever. Is there any possible chance he will get that early release
At his sentencing the judge should have told him if he was eligible for early release. It should have also been noted on the sentencing papers he received. You can check if he is eligible by looking up his case on the Wisconsin Circuit Court Access (CCAP) website. The sentencing details are all listed and it should note if he is eligible for the ERP (Earned Release Program.)
The Following User Says Thank You to onestepcloser For This Useful Post:
Tresa58 (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 01:23 PM

Default Early release program

It says once on "ES" I'm assuming extended stay? Then cooperate with AODA/eligible for early release program. Not eligible for boot camp
Thank you for clarification! Would you think that's a yes?
Old 10-24-2017, 01:26 PM

Default Early release

Actually it says "eligible for treatment program/substance abuse program. Do you think that's the same thing?
Old 10-26-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Actually it says "eligible for treatment program/substance abuse program. Do you think that's the same thing?

The substance abuse program is something that the judge determines whether or not the defendant is eligible at the time of sentencing. So, yes, your LO is eligible to participate and upon successful completion he would be granted early release. One thing to understand is that this does not guarantee him a spot in the program. Also, just a heads up that things often move very slowly with the DOC - paperwork can take forever to process, things get delayed, caseworkers can be out of the office with no one covering for them, etc... I hope that your LO is able to participate and shorten his incarceration time.
Tresa58 (10-26-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 08:47 PM

Default Early release

Thank you again for the info and sorry to be a "pain in the butt newbie". Here is what disturbs me. He had this stalking charge which he had to plead guilty to from 4-5 years before which is a 940.32 but somehow his Lawyer tells him it is considedered but not directly related to his current prison sentence I hope I wasn't misleading ther. He was in prison at 18 years but is now 43 and no prison but a bunch of jail for drugs and felony bail jumping. This time he has a burglary charge plus the stalking from a few years ago. His attorney who is a paid lawyer but assigned pro bono says that somehow he is eligible for the ERP. Everything I've read says no because of the 940 even being on his record. However I do have some faith in the process as a whole and in the sent entente papers the urge says he is eligible for"treatment program. He does not specifically say ERP but what else could he be referring to? His sentence is concurrent but now some dude at dodge telling him he should write the judge and ask for them to be separate. I do absolutely understand that things probably move slowly here. What I think is he will be shipped to some place from dodge where he will then have to apply for assessment and ultimately be accepted into a program and if graduates out within 30 days. Maybe a year and a half from now instead of 2.1/2. What do you thin k ?
Old 10-31-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Thank you again for the info and sorry to be a "pain in the butt newbie". Here is what disturbs me. He had this stalking charge which he had to plead guilty to from 4-5 years before which is a 940.32 but somehow his Lawyer tells him it is considedered but not directly related to his current prison sentence I hope I wasn't misleading ther. He was in prison at 18 years but is now 43 and no prison but a bunch of jail for drugs and felony bail jumping. This time he has a burglary charge plus the stalking from a few years ago. His attorney who is a paid lawyer but assigned pro bono says that somehow he is eligible for the ERP. Everything I've read says no because of the 940 even being on his record. However I do have some faith in the process as a whole and in the sent entente papers the urge says he is eligible for"treatment program. He does not specifically say ERP but what else could he be referring to? His sentence is concurrent but now some dude at dodge telling him he should write the judge and ask for them to be separate. I do absolutely understand that things probably move slowly here. What I think is he will be shipped to some place from dodge where he will then have to apply for assessment and ultimately be accepted into a program and if graduates out within 30 days. Maybe a year and a half from now instead of 2.1/2. What do you thin k ?
It is my understanding that the sentencing judge has to specifically state that he is eligible for ERP. Treatment programs can be things like Anger Management, Substance Abuse, Domestic Violence, etc... these programs are all independent of the Early Release Program.

Even for those that are eligible for ERP there are long waiting lists. Some guys actually serve their full time before ever getting into the program. I don't know what the wait time is currently.

Has your guy spoken with a case worker at DCI to confirm whether or not he is eligible for ERP? They have all of the sentencing specifics and can confirm for him whether or not he is eligible. If there is any confusion on the paperwork they will request clarification from the sentencing court/judge.

I'm not sure I completely understand why someone is suggesting that he write the judge and ask for his sentences to be separate. I would caution him from taking advice from another inmate as to how to handle his case, etc.. This would be something better asked of his attorney.

And, no apologies necessary for asking questions. Everyone is a "newbie" at some point! We are all here to help each other!
Tresa58 (11-01-2017)