Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEVADA > Nevada Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Info
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Nevada Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Info This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Nevada.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:56 PM

Default Ely state prison~ please share your knowledge

Hello to all,

I am wanting to know all that I can about Ely State Prison.
so, if you, a loved one, friend or family member has been to Ely State prison, or if you still have someone there.
If you could tell me about this prison, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you for your time, and for sharing.

God Bless
The Following User Says Thank You to imamomtoo For This Useful Post:
bigbrownsadeyes (09-05-2009)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2009, 11:43 AM
Holding him down

What types of things would you like to know. What questions do you have? I will try to answer them to the best of my knowledge. My man is at Ely...

The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs.Official05 For This Useful Post:
imamomtoo (05-21-2009)
Old 05-21-2009, 07:28 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataly_05 View Post
What types of things would you like to know. What questions do you have? I will try to answer them to the best of my knowledge. My man is at Ely...
anything, what are they able to do and not able to do, such as, can they go into the "yard" and play basketball, baseball, workout, etc.
what if they do not have money on their books, and need personal items, such as tooth paste, deodarant, will the prison provid these type of items to the inmate?
what about their clothing, does the prison provide anythng more than when they arrived?
what about safety?
are the guards doing their job and protecting the inmates and stopping rapes, beatings and such?
do the inmate go to a dinning hall or is food delivered to their cell?
can they watch TV?
can a person avoid joinning a gang?
is there any refom ?
is there any educational classes?
is there any counseling provided?

Anything and everything!

thank you so very much for your reply and information.

how much time does your man have to at Ely? if you do not mind me asking.

Thank you for your help.

God bless you and yours

Mom
Old 05-22-2009, 01:09 PM
Holding him down

anything, what are they able to do and not able to do, such as, can they go into the "yard" and play basketball, baseball, workout, etc. It depends on what unit they are in. Units 1 & 2 are lockdown, They are doubled up cells. Unit 3-4 is death row, They have more priveleges than 1 &2.
what if they do not have money on their books, and need personal items, such as tooth paste, deodarant, will the prison provid these type of items to the inmate? They do provide some of these things, but they are cheap. My man is always letting me know when he needs soap, toothpaste, etc. so I just put money on his books when needed. The jpay schedule is pretty much it.
what about their clothing, does the prison provide anythng more than when they arrived? They wear the prison uniform for clothing.
This was in another facility.. my man was given 2 boxers briefs, 2 white shirts, 2 jeans, 2 long sleeve shirts, etc..
what about safety? safety of whom the inmates, the families, the employees?
are the guards doing their job and protecting the inmates and stopping rapes, beatings and such? I really don't know how to answer this. All I could say is "I sure hope so!". PM if you have any questions.
do the inmate go to a dinning hall or is food delivered to their cell? Food is delivered to their cell.
can they watch TV? Yes, they are allowed to watch televesion. From what I understand they only get about 8 channels. They have to purchase the TV through the inmate store system. I'm not sure about the price now, around 200.00
can a person avoid joinning a gang? Yes, it is a choice
is there any refom ? There are inmates who want to change and have changed but are not given the chance. I've heard Ely is on the worst prisons anyone can be at. There is corruption within the prison that the government ignores. I would have to pm regarding this subject.
is there any educational classes? Yes, they do offer educational classes. You have to be put on a waiting list and also have to be in a certain unit in order to be able to take classes. Well I guess they are not actual classes. They are just given a work packet on a subject (math, english, etc.) and they are given a deadline when to finish it.
is there any counseling provided? I am not sure about this. Their case worker should be there for them. (although some do not do their job)
how much time does your man have to at Ely? if you do not mind me asking. We are not sure yet. He just went up for re-classification this week. I am just waiting for his call. He put in for a transfer, but they say the only way they will transfer you is if you feel threatened by another inmate.

Extra Details
Some inmates are allowed one phone call a week and others are allowed two phone calls a week. Each call is 15 minutes long. In order for the inmate to be able to use the phone they have to put in a kite. Once in a while they will allow them to use it more.

Last edited by Mrs.Official05; 05-22-2009 at 01:20 PM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mrs.Official05 For This Useful Post:
Audrey0628 (11-29-2015), bigbrownsadeyes (08-31-2009), Edsgurl (01-19-2016), imamomtoo (05-27-2009)
Old 05-24-2009, 03:42 AM

Unit 3 and 4 are just as bad as far as I know. The entire prison except for one unit is on permanent lockdown. Death row inmates are housed with non death row inmates.
There is no doctor in the prison, only a nurse.
The budget is being cut for summer school/library.
Books have to be put on a list in advance and can only be ordered when they are "approved".
Only one phonecall per week, IF they hand them the telephone.
The Following User Says Thank You to Truth Seeker For This Useful Post:
imamomtoo (05-27-2009)
Old 05-25-2009, 11:39 PM

unit 8 gets one call a day.
imamomtoo (05-27-2009)
Old 05-26-2009, 04:47 AM

I think 8 is the only unit not on lockdown
imamomtoo (05-27-2009)
Old 08-31-2009, 09:31 PM

My son was just sent to Ely. He called me tonight and now I'm all torn up. My heart breaks for him, but at the same time I am so damn mad at him for doing this to himself and to his family. Reading what has been said about Ely doesn't help. My son has a drug program. He was at Casa Grande and escaped and now they've sent him to Ely. He picked up another charge too. He was saying the tv's are around $275. Thanks for the info.
The Following User Says Thank You to bigbrownsadeyes For This Useful Post:
Edsgurl (01-19-2016)
Old 09-05-2009, 04:49 AM

Sending you much strength, I hope your son is well. I have heard mostly bad things about Ely, hopefully it can only get better. Check the websites out, they give info too about esp. Much best wishes, hopefully he can go back to his program soon, elsewhere.
bigbrownsadeyes (09-05-2009)
Old 09-05-2009, 05:54 PM

I got a letter from my son a couple days ago and it says he's in unit 4. From what I've read that's death row. My son shouldn't be on death row. He's no angel by no means, but he has a drug problem and his charges are gta, escape, and poss stun gun. All charges are consecutive so we're looking at a minimum of 3 years, but since he's in the hole he's not getting any good time and I just noticed his exp date has been extended by a month because of it. When he escaped and they caught him within a week they got rid of all his stuff. So it's not just him suffering, it's the family too. WHo do they think buys this stuff for them? What the hell? A guy kills my step-dad, and a stolen vehicle and a gun and got 6 years and was a transient. I'm just sick over this.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrownsadeyes View Post
I got a letter from my son a couple days ago and it says he's in unit 4. From what I've read that's death row. My son shouldn't be on death row.
Death row is only units 3 & 3a. Unit 3 is the main unit for housing death row inmates and unit 3a houses the death row overflow and is the hole for death row & max inmates.
I hope this eases your fears.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to *~Kenya~* For This Useful Post:
bigbrownsadeyes (09-13-2009), Edsgurl (01-19-2016)
Old 09-21-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *~Kenya~* View Post
Death row is only units 3 & 3a. Unit 3 is the main unit for housing death row inmates and unit 3a houses the death row overflow and is the hole for death row & max inmates.
I hope this eases your fears.
There are two sides to unit 3 and 3A is the housing unit for death row, it's 3B that is the overflow for death row and the "the hole". Some max inmates are there because the prison is so overcrowded. You don't have to be on death row to be placed in unit 3B.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fable For This Useful Post:
Edsgurl (01-19-2016)
Old 07-17-2010, 04:53 PM
Against all odds

Aww this is scary to me. My x is getting transferred there from NSP. Can anyone tell me about visitation?
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs.Carebear For This Useful Post:
Edsgurl (01-19-2016)
Old 07-18-2010, 11:45 AM

Ehi there...you can find any info on the prison web site, for visiting days, but better if you call the visiting room to be sure of the days.
For visits, your love one has to send you a paper that you have to fill and send back to the prison. I was approved after a couple months.
Every time you go visiting, you have to calling 24 hours in advance to book them.
Special visits are allowed for those coming very far; you have to call for permission.
Pay attention to the clothing rules because they pay sooo much attention to it and the risk is that you have to come back to the hotel to change...visitors must arrive from 8 30 to 10 am.
The visiting room is not that bad, visits are from 9 am( for real the almost bring prisoners inside from 9 30 to 10...)to 2.45 pm; visits behind glass are so bad....you can hardly hearing...
Guards are not that bad, and honeslty some (in the visiting room) are so nice that you'll thank God they are there...
Vendors are inside the room and you can buy food and drinks...if the prison fills them up...you can bring 20 $ per visitor in quarters and the money must be inside a transparent bag.
you can't bring anything inside, and if you're wearing a jacket you'll have to wear it all the time.
Sadly to say death row is the most secure place to stay in...about gangs, there is one that is predominating now and it's very powerful...pm for more infos..
For books, once the title is approved by the prison you have to buy them on amazon, only paperback edition, not used ones.
pm me if you all have more questions...my loved one is is being there for 22 years...death row most of the time and now damned lockdown unit...i'm here if you need something...came back from my last visits just a couple weeks ago...:-(
The Following User Says Thank You to cecy79 For This Useful Post:
Edsgurl (01-19-2016)
Old 07-19-2010, 01:44 AM

Oh, I was forgetting...yes, there are councelors.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:47 AM
Against all odds

cecy79 where are you from do you live in las vegas?
Old 07-29-2010, 10:37 AM

Is there always a window pane between oneself and the inmate if one is visiting someone at ESP? And if so, don't they have anything prepared to have a better acoustic?
Old 07-29-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunka View Post
Is there always a window pane between oneself and the inmate if one is visiting someone at ESP? And if so, don't they have anything prepared to have a better acoustic?
Most Ely visits are not conducted with glass separations, it depends on the custody level of the inmate and the circumstances of the visitor. These factors are all determined beforehand so you will know what to expect when you get there.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:06 AM

Sorry for being late in the answer...nope, I'm italian,unfortunately living in Italy :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Carebear View Post
cecy79 where are you from do you live in las vegas?
The Following User Says Thank You to cecy79 For This Useful Post:
Edsgurl (01-19-2016)
Old 11-28-2015, 04:50 PM

Hello, I have question about Education in Ely.

Just for my own curiosity :
Do they study another languages than English? like Spanish, Italian ect...?
Are there any language courses?

Thank you.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:52 PM

To the best of my knowledge, Ely State Prison does not offer any classes to the inmates.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:24 AM

Alright, but I don't understand because in the post above "Mrs.Official.05" says :
is there any educational classes? Yes, they do offer educational classes. You have to be put on a waiting list and also have to be in a certain unit in order to be able to take classes. Well I guess they are not actual classes. They are just given a work packet on a subject (math, english, etc.) and they are given a deadline when to finish it.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:13 PM
#joseforlife

Default ESP

Quote:
Originally Posted by imamomtoo View Post
Hello to all,

I am wanting to know all that I can about Ely State Prison.
so, if you, a loved one, friend or family member has been to Ely State prison, or if you still have someone there.
If you could tell me about this prison, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you for your time, and for sharing.

God Bless
My hubby is going to ESP after sentencing this Spring 2016. I will follow him to Ely.

#joseforlife
Old 07-31-2017, 08:36 AM

My boyfriend has been at Ely for quite a few years. They're on permanent lock down. Just a few months ago they started opening up the units and letting the guys come out of the cells twice a day for yard, phone, etc. They're only allowed 1-15 minute phone call a day and have finally put phones on the wall instead of using portables. The mail room is a joke. I've had to file complaints with the Inspector General and the Warden because the mail room does what it wants. My man has gone over 30+ days at a time without getting mail from me. They'll cut phone calls off short for no other reason than they can. Visiting is treacherous, always take a change of clothes with you and a copy of the clothing rules with you. Never show fear and stand your ground because they love to make you feel sub-human and less than. If you've followed all the rules and they still won't let you in for a visit, ask to speak to a warden or an associate warden (there are 4). Be firm and never let them see you sweat. I've seen them turn people away who have driven for hours and who've spent 100's of $'s on trips to see their loved ones. They just don't care.
Be informed, Be aware, Be diligent... Good luck!
Old 08-02-2017, 09:01 PM

I agree that Ely is a tough place to be but I visited for 10 years and never had any trouble getting in to visit or with the COs. I followed the simple dress rules and we observed the conduct rules in the visiting room and every visit went smooth for us and also for a few friends I made who also visited during this time. Perhaps things are different in 2017, my last visit was 5 years ago but my friend still visits and has not encountered any problems. Hope this helps.