Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events + 3 Strikes
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events + 3 Strikes Do you have news relating to California's Prison or Ciminal Justice System and related efforts? Post them here! Also discuss 3 Strike laws.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:12 PM
Donation Award 

Default Strike follows change in CSP, Solano yard scheduling

Here is one of the few reports I've seen on the sit-down.

Inmates exercising rights
Strike follows change in CSP, Solano yard scheduling
http://thereporter.com/news/ci_7921401

An estimated 2,200 inmates at California State Prison, Solano are exercising their right to peaceful protest and sitting out work-related and other duties, prison officials said Tuesday.

The strike, initiated Monday by Level 3 inmates who are classified as having a high potential for violence, reportedly is linked to a recent change in yard scheduling.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2008, 08:10 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,999 Times in 801 Posts

I am glad to hear that staff is being reasonable and they are talking. That must be an interesting conversation.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:25 PM
Donation Award 

I think they are being careful. With that many guys involved it could get real ugly real fast and a lot of people could get hurt. So far it's been peaceful and from what I hear for the guys that don't have jobs or programs anyway, it hasn't made a lot of difference in their days. Kind of sad when you think about it...

Old 01-09-2008, 10:51 PM
Donation Award 

I have heard that this is the first time all races are united in this protest. A new captain to Solano, from a level prison ordered this new program. He feels it is easier to control these level 3 inmates on a level 4 program. Over $100,000 has been lost in work orders from factories. Each day that passes more money is being lost. Apparently the CO's are upset because now they have to do all the work the inmates did. I hope they all can work things out.

My Love Bug is HOME as of 2/12/13
Old 01-09-2008, 11:03 PM

Talking Whoooohooooo

This is a major milestone in history.....to have prisoners unite in a peaceful way to protest is a major shift in thinking. In a world where violence and acting out behavior is the status quo, this is showing the world they have potential, intellect and power in numbers but without the element of violence...... ~Cat aka Old Hippie

Never be bullied into silence
Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself..
Old 01-10-2008, 02:31 AM

I am not sure about that prison but it definitely not the first time all races have protested together. Most sit downs include all races and are agreed upon ahead of time by the shot callers on the yards. This is pretty common. We have had 3 sit downs like this in the last year just at my prison.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:20 AM
Donation Award 

Have you noticed that something relatively peaceful like this gets very little or no news coverage? If even a few of them decided to riot and really act out, it would be blasted all over the news to "show" everyone that all of the inmates are vicious and insane. But when you have over a 1000 peacefully protesting, it isn't news.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:29 AM
-----------------------
Donation Award 

Thanked 18,160 Times in 7,204 Posts

Sit ins and work stoppages are not new. And riots aren't always covered by the media. KVSP has had 3 riots in as many months - one involving over 300 inmates - and nothing was reported. Also, I read that the population of Solano is over 6,000 - so if half of the yards are involved in this work stoppage, then we're talking more like 3,000 inmates involved. Pretty intense!

The PIA jobs are not being done by the prison staff. Kitchen work is being covered for these yards by other inmates on the other yards.

Did you wonder why the inmates are upset over having the yard program changed so that fewer inmates are out on the yard at the same time? I have. Why should they care as long as they are still getting yard? Maybe someone here has the answer for me, because I honestly don't see why they care if only 600 go out at a time instead of 1000.

I'm not arguing their point of protesting. As long as it's peaceful, then it's their decision. I just wanted to say this is by no means the first time entire yards have banded together. It may however be the largest in a long time.

Last edited by Terry; 01-10-2008 at 09:31 AM..
Old 01-10-2008, 02:05 PM
Donation Award 

[quote=aliferzwife]
Did you wonder why the inmates are upset over having the yard program changed so that fewer inmates are out on the yard at the same time? I have. Why should they care as long as they are still getting yard? Maybe someone here has the answer for me, because I honestly don't see why they care if only 600 go out at a time instead of 1000.

It's much more than just having their yard program changed. There are many other reasons. I think it would be difficult to be in a cell for many hours where you can't even flush the toilet for a long time. Or being locked out of your building for hours; make sure they take toilet paper so they can use the ONE toilet in the yard for hundreds of men. That is grounds for the spread of diseases. It's a lot more than a yard program.

Tricksie2645Have you noticed that something relatively peaceful like this gets very little or no news coverage? If even a few of them decided to riot and really act out, it would be blasted all over the news to "show" everyone that all of the inmates are vicious and insane. But when you have over a 1000 peacefully protesting, it isn't news.

You're so right. They media loves drama. Certainly a peaceful protest at a prison is not interesting enough to make it on the news.

My Love Bug is HOME as of 2/12/13

Last edited by jmbaby; 01-10-2008 at 02:14 PM..