Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Criminal Legal Help!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Criminal Legal Help! Ask questions, get opinions, and find resources on dealing with criminal justice legal issues, appeals, and more..

Old 01-18-2007, 12:58 AM

Exclamation Parole after Spousal Abuse

My father (now 78 yrs old) was convicted of Spousal Abuse and Attempted Murder of a Police officer while under the influence of alcohol. Without going into the details of the trial, these were plea bargained convictions.
He spent the last 7 years in prison and was released on Jan. 14, 2007. For the past 7 years, my mother (now 74 yrs old/victom) and I have been visiting him on a regular basis with the approval of the Calif. Department of Corrections. My father was also allowed to communicate with her by phone on a regular basis. My mother and my family were all present at his release and took him home. They spent 2 full days together at their home as he was getting settled in.
They went together to visit his parole officer for the first time and after a 4 hour wait, they were told that they could not have any contact with each other and could not leave together. According to the parole officer, since the crime was for spousal abuse, he was not allowed to have contact for a minimum of 1 year and up to 3 years, not even by phone.
In the past 7 years, nobody ever mentioned that this would be the case. They just dropped the bomb on both of them. My mother had a stroke a couple of years ago and couldn't wait for him to come home so that she would no longer have to depend on me or her neighbors.
This just does not seem right, I know that they are trying to protect my mother but at this point the are punishing her.
Does anyone have any experience with this or any advice on this matter?

Thank you all
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2007, 01:53 PM

You can ask the probation officer for the lawfully enacted rule that says what he claims.

Assuming there is one, your mother can file a motion in court asking for the condition to be rescinded. She may need to have her doctor and/or a psychologist also write their opinion supporting it (assuming they would support it).

Your state may have elder affairs people who can also provide support and guidance.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:47 PM

In California, there is an automatic " no contact" condition of parole in any domestic violence case. This has been every since the OJ Simpson case. The Judge has no authority when it comes to conditions of parole, they are totally under the authority of CDCR.