Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Georgia Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information & questions relating to parole, probation, work release and community service in Georgia should be posted here.

Old 04-08-2019, 03:28 PM

Talking TPM changed to May 2019! What is next? Or what are the next steps?

My boyfriends TPM was May 2020. All 12 of his PIC points were applied per his counselor and his TPM changed to May 2019. It has been 4 years and I am ecstatic. I can't believe he is finally coming home soon. What is next? Or what are the next steps? Does the parole officer have to verify his address before he can be released? Why would they deny an address? Also when will we know the final date of his release? As of now we just know it's May.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2019, 06:08 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,831 Times in 3,080 Posts

Congrats!!

Yes, the parole office will need to come do a home visit - will make sure the home fits all of his release requirements. Do not lie, do not try to hide things from the home visit. Get everything in writing, including if they say the home is suitable.

He should find out his exact release date 1 - 2 weeks before he's released. Then it's up to him to notify you. The prison will not notify you directly.

Reasons they would deny an address: 1) Items are present that he's not allowed to be around (alcohol, drugs, computers, firearms... the PO will know what he is and is not allowed to have in the household). 2) If he's got residency restrictions like "can't live closer than 2,000 feet from a school" and the home is within that boundary. 3) If people are present or likely to be present who have a no contact order or who are a restricted category for him (such as children or a domestic violence victim).

Congratulations!! Please come back and update us with what happened - we get so few pieces of happy news, and we all want to sing with joy when we hear some.
The Following User Says Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
Gigi805 (04-11-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 04:10 PM

Thank you. I have contacted the parole office and his parole officer said she was coming by on Sunday but never did. I'm going to try calling her tomorrow.
Ok there should be no issues but what do you mean by computers? We have one and I have a laptop as well? Why would that be an issue? I will post an update as soon as I get one and when he get released. Thanks
Old 04-10-2019, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

Some people are not allowed computers or internet access as part of their parole/release supervision requirements. This is a common ban for sex offenders, but other computer related crimes (fraud, identity theft etc.) where computers played a major role in the commission of the crime can also have this ban attached. It's just something to be aware of. "No alcohol" is also a pretty common one, whether the crime had anything to do with alcohol or not.
Gigi805 (04-11-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 09:39 AM

Thanked 1,754 Times in 700 Posts

If your loved one has no computer ban restriction then having a computer in the home is not an issue. Any special restrictions should be recorded in the judge's sentencing order filed with the clerk of court. Here is a link to the usual conditions of supervision in GA.https://dcs.georgia.gov/standard-conditions-supervision There are a few other conditions listed here. https://dcs.georgia.gov/special-cond...-supervision-0
Basically, they want him to get a job, stay sober, follow the rules & don't mess up. They'll explain all of it to him when he meets with his PO upon release.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
Gigi805 (04-11-2019), GingerM (04-11-2019), patchouli (04-13-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 12:20 PM

Ok got it. The parole officer was supposed to come over this passed Sunday to verify the address. She never came and hasn't answered any calls since. I've only left her one voicemail because I don't want to annoy her. Should I keep trying to contact her or wait for her to call me? Will there be issues if the verification of address delays? It's still early April so im not that worried. His TPM finally updated online as well on the tpm page. It was taking a while for that to update but its finally on there. Is there anyone else i can call about his address verification/parole process updates beside his parole officer? Thanks.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:05 AM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

Unfortunately, no, just his parole officer. Sometimes they can end up in court, eating up time. I'd give it a week, then call again - in case you slipped her mind, and recognizing that they usually have a large caseload.
Gigi805 (04-12-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 11:59 AM

The parole officer called. She just needed verbal permission for him to live at the address and said she did not have to come out in this case. She said when he was out she would know if she would be coming by monthly or every 3 months. She submitted the address approval and that was that. Now we are just waiting on a release date.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gigi805 For This Useful Post:
GingerM (04-13-2019), patchouli (04-13-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

How exciting! Only a month and a bit to go!
Gigi805 (04-16-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 08:46 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,048 Times in 16,166 Posts

Whooo Hoooo!! That is wonderful news. I just love a Homecoming

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Gigi805 (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerM View Post
How exciting! Only a month and a bit to go!

I am so excited and anxious now. Does it take a month or more to be released after everything is approved? His counselor told him that we should know the date towards the end of April but I'm not sure if that's right because I thought the final review is on the TPM month
Old 04-17-2019, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

They should give him his release date a couple of weeks in advance of his release. So if he's releasing, say, May 5th, they'd have to tell him his release date in April. So what you were told sounds about right to me.

So close!! Everyone gets anxious about release. Just remember to breathe. I won't be worse than the front end was, I promise!
Gigi805 (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
They should give him his release date a couple of weeks in advance of his release. So if he's releasing, say, May 5th, they'd have to tell him his release date in April. So what you were told sounds about right to me.

So close!! Everyone gets anxious about release. Just remember to breathe. I won't be worse than the front end was, I promise!

Thank you! I've been trying to keep my mind off of it. As of now there is still no update. I do have a question though. My boyfriends address has already been approved by his po which is my mothers address. I have been staying there because i was cosigner on the house and i have been trying to get out of debt and save up so that we can find something else. Also my name finally got removed from the mortgage last month, so O am able to apply elsewhere. My moms partner has a house that he owns and is going to rent it. It would be perfect for us since its close to everywhere we have to go and the price is right. Is it possible for my bf to request a change of address soon after my boyfriend is released? I am still at my mothers house and wouldn't be able to rent the other house until June/July. So we can't update the address now because its not certain yet.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:11 PM

Thanked 1,754 Times in 700 Posts

If he is going to change addresses, check it out with his PO. They will tell him what he can do & how to do it. If he's being released in May & the new place won't be ready til after his release, his PO is the one who will need to ok the new address. Glad you have found a place to stay. That's one of the hardest things to do. Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
Gigi805 (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaReform View Post
If he is going to change addresses, check it out with his PO. They will tell him what he can do & how to do it. If he's being released in May & the new place won't be ready til after his release, his PO is the one who will need to ok the new address. Glad you have found a place to stay. That's one of the hardest things to do. Good luck!

Thanks I was just a little worried avour changing his address so quickly. But he will talk to his po once he's released.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:25 PM

Hey does anyone know about how long until a release date is given? Just to summarize,

April 3rd - counselor told my bf that he would be released in May.
April 8th- his tpm changed from May 2020 to May 2019.
April 11th- his PO called and approved his address.

It will be a month since I talked to his PO this weekend. The counselor told my bf that he should hear something the last week of April or first week of May. I have called the parole board a few days ago and they told me that he was being reviewed but that's all. I know we're only a few days into May but I would really like to know an average timeframe if anyone knows. Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to Gigi805 For This Useful Post:
SBJOHNSON (05-07-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 04:46 PM

I wrote too soon. He's getting out the 10th!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gigi805 For This Useful Post:
GingerM (05-07-2019), SBJOHNSON (05-06-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 10:51 PM

Thatís great. Do you know how long they had him apply for his birth certificate and social security card. I am wondering is that a sign they are getting out early?
Old 05-07-2019, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

Quote:
I wrote too soon. He's getting out the 10th!!!
Congrats! Wow, that doesn't leave much time to get ready! Homecomings are joyous, but can also be stressful.

(ProTip: make sure you bring stuff in the car in case he gets car sick)
Old 05-07-2019, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBJOHNSON View Post
Thatís great. Do you know how long they had him apply for his birth certificate and social security card. I am wondering is that a sign they are getting out early?
I've never heard of any prison doing that before. Then again, I don't know the Georgia system very well, so maybe it's a GA thing.
SBJOHNSON (05-07-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBJOHNSON View Post

Yes that's a sign they're getting out early. They're putting together their parole plan I believe when they start doing that. My bf did that about 2-3 months ago.
SBJOHNSON (05-07-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Congrats! Wow, that doesn't leave much time to get ready! Homecomings are joyous, but can also be stressful.

(ProTip: make sure you bring stuff in the car in case he gets car sick)

Yea it really doesn't. I am so unprepared, this was really sudden. But it's ok I'm just happy its sooner than later
GingerM (05-08-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi805 View Post
Yes that's a sign they're getting out early. They're putting together their parole plan I believe when they start doing that. My bf did that about 2-3 months ago.
Has your BF gotten out yet? Mineís TPM is September.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:46 PM

Sorry Gigi...just saw..itís you that said your honey was coming home...duh..I wasnít following the chain closely! Congrats!!!