Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Parents with Children in Prison > PWCIP - Introductions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

PWCIP - Introductions Welcome to the Parents With Children in Prison Forum. Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself!

Old 02-24-2019, 11:01 AM

Default Hello, son turning himself in this week.

Hello,

My son will be turning himself in this week. How do I get rid of this sick to my stomach feeling? Why do I feel like I'm being punished? I can't stop crying. I have several years of nar-anon program behind me. He is a mentally ill drug addict who has been in self-destruct mode for years.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Buttercup For This Useful Post:
maytayah (03-24-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Buttercup View Post
Hello,

My son will be turning himself in this week. How do I get rid of this sick to my stomach feeling? Why do I feel like I'm being punished? I can't stop crying. I have several years of nar-anon program behind me. He is a mentally ill drug addict who has been in self-destruct mode for years.
Mama Buttercup I understand my son is also mentally ill and has used drugs off and on for years. It gets better with time write him talk to him encourage him to take what ever groups are available to him so he will be prepared when he gets out. Just remember this is not your fault he is an adult he makes his own decision.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to glider1950 For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (02-24-2019), lizlizzie2 (03-24-2019), Mama Buttercup (03-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 12:33 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,035 Times in 12,727 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. I'm sorry for what you are facing and I hope your Son is one who comes out of prison better than he went in.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:37 PM

Thanked 1,451 Times in 597 Posts

Sorry for what you are experiencing now. You don't get rid of the feelings, you do learn to live with and manage them. Many people on this forum have walked in your shoes. You've found a good place for help and we do understand how difficult what you are going through is.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
lizlizzie2 (03-24-2019), Mama Buttercup (03-24-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glider1950 View Post
Mama Buttercup I understand my son is also mentally ill and has used drugs off and on for years. It gets better with time write him talk to him encourage him to take what ever groups are available to him so he will be prepared when he gets out. Just remember this is not your fault he is an adult he makes his own decision.
Thank you for reaching out to me. I do understand that it was his own decision, however, this is so painful. I have been through so much with him.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Welcome to Prison Talk. I'm sorry for what you are facing and I hope your Son is one who comes out of prison better than he went in.
That is the only little bit of hope I have for this whole thing. I am hoping he will get rid of his addiction during his time in prison and I am thankful that he is alive.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Buttercup For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-25-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvalliant View Post
Sorry for what you are experiencing now. You don't get rid of the feelings, you do learn to live with and manage them. Many people on this forum have walked in your shoes. You've found a good place for help and we do understand how difficult what you are going through is.

Thank you for reaching out to me. The warmth and understanding here is very comforting.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:34 AM
Liz

Thanked 1,624 Times in 622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Buttercup View Post
That is the only little bit of hope I have for this whole thing. I am hoping he will get rid of his addiction during his time in prison and I am thankful that he is alive.
My son too - mental health issues as a teen, self-medicating, drug addiction, prison. Many of us in this forum have children who have gone down this same path and understand how you feel. My son did get clean in prison, eventually, and has been sober for over 5 years now. He has an 8 year sentence (85% to be served in prison) and will be out in two months.

The tears continue for a while and can occur at unexpected times. It will get better, it's just hard to believe that now. Sharing your journey, asking questions, being able to express your emotional in this forum, helps a lot and there are supportive people in here who have shared the same experience.
The Following User Says Thank You to lizlizzie2 For This Useful Post:
Mama Buttercup (03-24-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 11:00 AM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 10,951 Times in 4,555 Posts

I understand where you are coming from .I watched my son sent to prison although for him it wasnt a bad thing he learnt to read and write and he came out with qualifications in catering and construction.
He has been out two years and found his dream job as an auto mechanic.
I remember at the time losing all hope and feeling sick with loss.
Its hard to think that having your son in prison will be your new normal. You will adapt and you will be ok and so will he.
Just breathe and make time to care for yourself.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
lizlizzie2 (03-24-2019), Mama Buttercup (03-24-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 03:29 AM

Mama Buttercup, My son too has mental issues, Prison. I am so sorry you are going through this. Yes it is gut wrenching, constant worry, but each day passes, you will cry you have every right to feel the way your feeling, I’m not going to say it gets better, but somehow you will manage. This site will be your saving grace, these people do not judge you, they are very kind hearted and will do their best to help you and they will answer your questions. Most people don’t understand in the real world how it is to have a loved one in Prison, some have been in prison themselves and I honestly feel that they are the ones I look to when I’m down, I wouldn’t have ever been able to get through this without them, and the personal relationships I have gained since I’ve been on this site, have comforted many more days and nights than anyone of you might realize. Talk to the people on here, they can and will help you, I am here if you need something I can help with. Again I’m sorry your going through this also, it’s a personal hell no one should ever hav ego experience.

OWL
The Following User Says Thank You to Itshardtowait For This Useful Post:
lizlizzie2 (03-25-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 07:10 PM

Hugs to you!