Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Pennsylvania.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:18 AM

Default He was transferred to Sci-Coal Township, anyone have info on the facility?

Hello All!

My guy was transferred to SCI coal township yesterday. Does anyone in Philadelphia know what the travel is like by car? How are the visits and what is it like in that prison. I just got adjusted to the prison he was at and now they have moved him. Thankfully he is closer to home but it's the re-adjusting for me that I would have to get used to.

Is anyone from Philadelphia travelling there anytime soon?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2017, 02:22 PM

Hi! I'm not in Philly but my guy is also in Coal Township. If you ever wanted to talk I'm here.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:05 PM

Thank you! Much appreciated!

How long has your guy been there? What are the visits like? This will be my first time going. I got so used to SCI GREENE then he gets transferred. Im glad he is closer to home but....I hate having to get readjusted to a whole new prison and travel buddies. I feel as though I am going to be so uncomfortable.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohns913 View Post
Thank you! Much appreciated!

How long has your guy been there? What are the visits like? This will be my first time going. I got so used to SCI GREENE then he gets transferred. Im glad he is closer to home but....I hate having to get readjusted to a whole new prison and travel buddies. I feel as though I am going to be so uncomfortable.

He has been there since maybe the beginning of June. I actually don't live in PA right now so I can't say what the visits are like. I know it must be hard for you. Hopefully everything turns out ok!
Old 07-09-2017, 08:34 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,306 Times in 1,270 Posts

The travel time by car from Philadelphia is around two hours (about 100 miles) which should be a huge relief after driving out to Greene! (I toured Greene in 2015 and it was a real hike.)

Coal is a typical prison and I doubt you find any big differences from Greene.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:07 PM

Have you visited coal township yet? I have, they aren't too awfully strict. No worries about bras!
The Following User Says Thank You to InLuvWithALifer For This Useful Post:
KrissiMarie (09-28-2017)
Old 10-11-2017, 10:16 AM

Update coal township has changed its bra policy. Sports bras only!
Old 10-11-2017, 10:22 AM

Yes! They have become very strict about dress code policy it was enforced on the week I didnt visit. Luckily, I never have issues with entry or with my undergarments. However, one of my friends was denied a visit and had to sit outside for the majority of the time I was there. She was allowed a one hour no contact visit. I felt bad but....
Old 10-11-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobble60 View Post
The travel time by car from Philadelphia is around two hours (about 100 miles) which should be a huge relief after driving out to Greene! (I toured Greene in 2015 and it was a real hike.)

Coal is a typical prison and I doubt you find any big differences from Greene.
Greene was actually more relaxed than Coal Township and I hate their visiting room the layout is weird. Greene was only super strict with dress code. I love that he is closer because that is more visits and I can drive despite the wear and tear on my car
Old 10-11-2017, 10:30 AM

I was sooooo upset! They wouldn't allow me to change! I drove 4.5 hours to see him and ended up with a two hour no contact visit. I understood in the end and really never should've pushed it. Fortunately I was there for two days so we had a long visit on Monday. As I was walking out a girl asked if it was busy and if that was why I was leaving so early. I explained what happened. She said I should've fought it. Honestly, I am sure I could've but coal township is known for being petty and my guy is a juvenile lifer that will soon be re- sentenced. I would never risk causing him any undue stress.

Quote:
Yes! They have become very strict about dress code policy it was enforced on the week I didnt visit. Luckily, I never have issues with entry or with my undergarments. However, one of my friends was denied a visit and had to sit outside for the majority of the time I was there. She was allowed a one hour no contact visit. I felt bad but....
Old 10-11-2017, 12:39 PM

Yay! At least his sentence is getting ready to go back to court correct? I hope all goes with with that and you wont have to live this life for long!
Old 10-11-2017, 09:08 PM

He is hoping to be given a plea deal by next month if not within this year. He keeps telling me to keep my hopes very low but he will appeal until he is out of them. I'm praying basically 24/7.

Quote:
Yay! At least his sentence is getting ready to go back to court correct? I hope all goes with with that and you wont have to live this life for long!
Old 03-05-2018, 11:41 AM

Gees...i've not had any trouble with my bras, but after reading this, think i'll def invest in some wire-free ones! I'm always on pins and needles going through the detector- it might relieve my fears a lil knowing that my bra is kosher! lol The last time I went there, there was a lady ahead of me that couldn't make it through the detector, but at least she was given a non-contact visit. Would stink tho! I have been surprised sometimes, they'll let me take jewelry off so i can go through..other times they say if it doesn't make it through it can't be worn in... you just never know!