Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > WISCONSIN > Wisconsin Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Wisconsin Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Wisconsin Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc

Old 10-04-2017, 07:31 PM

Default First visit to DCI

My husband called today to let me know I have been approved for his visiting list at Dodge. Any insights on what to expect for visitation? I am hoping to go on Saturday. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2017, 11:28 AM

Sorry I have no experience with this, but wonted to say congrats on getting the approval. Enjoy your time with your hubby.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by careyon View Post
Sorry I have no experience with this, but wonted to say congrats on getting the approval. Enjoy your time with your hubby.
Thank you!
Old 10-07-2017, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isthisreallife View Post
My husband called today to let me know I have been approved for his visiting list at Dodge. Any insights on what to expect for visitation? I am hoping to go on Saturday. Thanks!
How long did it take to get approved for his visitor list? I'll be completing a visitors form within the next week, as soon as I get it in the mail from my man.
Enjoy your visit, I hope all goes well!!
Old 10-07-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschmit0520 View Post
How long did it take to get approved for his visitor list? I'll be completing a visitors form within the next week, as soon as I get it in the mail from my man.
Enjoy your visit, I hope all goes well!!

I put it in the mail last week Friday and he called on Wednesday to let me know I was on his list! Sadly I can't find anyone to take my kids for me this weekend, so our first visit will have to wait until next week.

Last edited by isthisreallife; 10-07-2017 at 06:54 AM.. Reason: Quoted the wrong person for reply
Old 10-07-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
I put it in the mail last week Friday and he called on Wednesday to let me know I was on his list! Sadly I can't find anyone to take my kids for me this weekend, so our first visit will have to wait until next week.
Oh wow, that's really fast! That's encouraging to know. Thank you!
My bf is at Dodge right now, but since we are not married I haven't been able to visit him. He has been there for 15 weeks (much longer than average because his reconfinement hearing got delayed). His hearing is on Monday morning and he's thinking he will be transferred before the end of this coming week. He has been staffed to go to either Oshkosh or Redgranite for about 7 weeks, so they told him as soon as he has his hearing the hold on him will be lifted and he'll be moving to the next Institution very soon after.
I'm so sorry to hear you aren't able to go visit this weekend. I hope he's able to call you, at least. And hopefully you can get there next weekend!
Old 10-09-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
When you visit Dodge you will enter a building where you will register with the officer, pass through a metal detector and secure your keys and ID in a locker. You have three chances to make it through the metal detector - if you don't make it through, your visit will be denied.

A couple of tips for getting through quickly and easily:

1. Do NOT wear an underwire bra. (Get a sports bra - I'm personally not a fan of them, but it will save you a lot of hassle when visiting.)
2. No revealing clothes - no deep necklines - no spandex, etc...
3. No jeans with holes or rips - not even if you bought them that way!
4. No excessive jewelry - keep it simple. No watches are allowed.
5. Lock your bag and your cell phone in your car. Take in your car keys, your id and change for the vending machines. (The limit for change (no paper money allowed) used to be $20 per person - you can check their website to see if that is still the case.)

Once you clear through check-in you will pass through a couple of doors and will end up outside where you will walk outside to the visitor building. You will be buzzed in and will check-in with the officer for your table assignment. They will call your guy's unit once you arrive in the visitor's room. You will be able to exchange a brief hug and kiss when he arrives and when he leaves the room at the end of the visit.

There are vending machines for you to buy food and drink. I know vending machine food doesn't sound that great, but after what he has been eating - he will probably really look forward to it! There are also microwaves to heat the food.

The time will fly - especially the first time you visit.

Enjoy your visit!
Old 10-09-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Oh wow, that's really fast! That's encouraging to know. Thank you!
My bf is at Dodge right now, but since we are not married I haven't been able to visit him. He has been there for 15 weeks (much longer than average because his reconfinement hearing got delayed). His hearing is on Monday morning and he's thinking he will be transferred before the end of this coming week. He has been staffed to go to either Oshkosh or Redgranite for about 7 weeks, so they told him as soon as he has his hearing the hold on him will be lifted and he'll be moving to the next Institution very soon after.
I'm so sorry to hear you aren't able to go visit this weekend. I hope he's able to call you, at least. And hopefully you can get there next weekend!
Not to be a downer, but just a heads up that Dodge processes visitor requests much more quickly than other facilities. Each facility is different - I know it took much longer at Fox Lake to get visitor forms approved than it did at Dodge. During orientation at Fox Lake back in 2015 the guys were told the turnaround time for approval would be 8-12 weeks and it took about 9 weeks. It really depends on how many people they have to process the forms and what else that person is responsible for doing.

I'm just sharing so you aren't worried if it takes longer.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcloser View Post
Not to be a downer, but just a heads up that Dodge processes visitor requests much more quickly than other facilities. Each facility is different - I know it took much longer at Fox Lake to get visitor forms approved than it did at Dodge. During orientation at Fox Lake back in 2015 the guys were told the turnaround time for approval would be 8-12 weeks and it took about 9 weeks. It really depends on how many people they have to process the forms and what else that person is responsible for doing.

Thank you for sharing this insight. I'll keep my fingers crossed and keep praying the visitor approval process goes quickly. I miss him soooo much!
Old 10-10-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:

My boyfriend just got moved to Redgranite Correctional. Anyone know how long it's been currently taking for visitors to be approved and added to the list here??
Old 10-14-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:

I just mailed in my visitor forms today. In orientation he was told 1-2 weeks to be added to his list. Then at a meeting with his case worker, the case worker said it really should only take a week. I'm not getting my hopes up too high because nothing ever seems to go fast in prison or exactly how they say it will go. It's just exciting to think that our first visit will be very, very soon! It's now been 17 weeks since I've seen him, I miss my man so much!
Old 10-17-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
I just mailed in my visitor forms today. In orientation he was told 1-2 weeks to be added to his list. Then at a meeting with his case worker, the case worker said it really should only take a week. I'm not getting my hopes up too high because nothing ever seems to go fast in prison or exactly how they say it will go. It's just exciting to think that our first visit will be very, very soon! It's now been 17 weeks since I've seen him, I miss my man so much!
That's great if it only takes 1-2 weeks to process your approval! Fingers crossed for a quick approval!