Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OREGON > Oregon Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Oregon Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Oregon.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:48 PM

Question Commissary list from SRCI?

Does anyone have the most recent commissary list from SRCI by chance? I have looked literally everywhere online and cannot locate it.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2018, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,747 Times in 3,047 Posts

Unfortunately, they're really difficult to get a hold of because the guys have to use them and they're only given one sheet per week of ordering.

Is there something specific you want to know the cost on? I have a friend there I can ask and he could tell me. I also have a fairly good idea of what's on the lists, though I can't tell you every single item and what it costs.
The Following User Says Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
milesofmemories (01-08-2018)
Old 01-08-2018, 07:11 PM

Do you think if I called the prison I could get someone in HR to send me one?

Monthly cost for creature comforts is what I was trying to factor. I have a friend at SRCI and am going to ask him about getting me copy.

What types of shoes are available, guitars, drawing materials...things like that.

Any information at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much!
Old 01-09-2018, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

Shoes (reasonable ones) run around $100 - $150.
Guitars at the low end run around $300
Drawing materials: paper runs $10 - $30 depending on variety
Colored pencils run around $15 - $20 (not so sure on that one)
Blank cardstock is available, but I don't remember how much.
TV's run around $300
mp4 players run around $250

Most pharmaceuticals can be bought at about the same prices/quantities that you'd pay at an airport mini-mart (e.g. $5 for 10 pills). Same holds for most personal hygiene products. Small amount, ridiculous price.

Some items are only available as "incentive" items (like guitars and TV's) - this means that they have to have 6 months of clean behavior before they can buy the items, and the items tend not to be stocked very well, so if he wants a guitar, expect 3 months to get it from the time he orders it.

Good luck trying to get a copy! DOC doesn't want copies to be out where the media can get a hold of them - the last copy I got was several years ago, sent by someone who wasn't ordering anything that week.

The way it works is they place the order on week 1 and pick everything up on week 2 assuming it's in stock. So it can be a couple of weeks from the time they realize they need something to the time they actually have it.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerM View Post
Shoes (reasonable ones) run around $100 - $150.
Guitars at the low end run around $300
Drawing materials: paper runs $10 - $30 depending on variety
Colored pencils run around $15 - $20 (not so sure on that one)
Blank cardstock is available, but I don't remember how much.
TV's run around $300
mp4 players run around $250

Most pharmaceuticals can be bought at about the same prices/quantities that you'd pay at an airport mini-mart (e.g. $5 for 10 pills). Same holds for most personal hygiene products. Small amount, ridiculous price.

Some items are only available as "incentive" items (like guitars and TV's) - this means that they have to have 6 months of clean behavior before they can buy the items, and the items tend not to be stocked very well, so if he wants a guitar, expect 3 months to get it from the time he orders it.

Good luck trying to get a copy! DOC doesn't want copies to be out where the media can get a hold of them - the last copy I got was several years ago, sent by someone who wasn't ordering anything that week.

The way it works is they place the order on week 1 and pick everything up on week 2 assuming it's in stock. So it can be a couple of weeks from the time they realize they need something to the time they actually have it.
Good lord, I can go to a sports store and get a pair of Nike or Under Armour shoes for $70 bucks. No wonder ODOC doesn't allow "care packages", they're making money off what the inmates order on commissary.

I'll ask D if there is going to be a week where he doesn't need to order anything and have him send me the form (I'll post it here if I can get ahold of one so everyone with someone in SRCI will have access to it). He's in honors housing right now, but I don't think commissary differs because of that?

That aggravates the #&^* out of me to know stuff is that high, but thanks for the help.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

Quote:
they're making money off what the inmates order on commissary.
The overhead for running the commissary is much higher than it would be for a 'civilian' store. The bureaucracy in just stocking the items is insane. Selling the items also has it's own bureaucracy. The price reflects that bureaucracy. I don't think they make much, if any, profit off of it, but the middle men steps involved cost money at each step.

There are two commissary lists, a West Side list and an East side list. Other than that, the lists are all the same. The West Side list has items for the women's prison, so it's got a few extra items on it that the East Side list has (I shudder to think of what use men would find for feminine hygiene supplies!). Being in the honors unit won't matter, he'll get he same list as everyone else.
The Following User Says Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
milesofmemories (01-10-2018)