Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OREGON > Oregon Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Oregon Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Oregon.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:06 PM
Account Closed

Question Moving to Eastern Oregon Correctional Institution - what it's like there?

Hey to all,

So as I dropped the bomb in another post about TRCI moving inmates to Pendleton, I just heard the news that my man is part of that game and will be transferred to EOCI somewhen until next year. I'm totally stressing out right now, as it took me ages to get my visitations approved at TRCI.

I have a bunch of questions.
- Does the visitation approval will still be valid for EOCI?
- Is the communication system at EOCI the same as at TRCI (e. g. Telmate phone, messages & video visits, accesscorrections e-mails)?
- Are there different mailing rules (I know they allow shirts off pics from inmates, but also more than 10 items per envelopes etc.)?
- Does anybody know if there are rules if inmates were sent to cells or dorms?
- How is the climate? Lot of fights and lockdowns?

Would be good to read of you guys!
S.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2014, 05:15 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 8,234 Times in 3,218 Posts

Quote:
I have a bunch of questions.
- Does the visitation approval will still be valid for EOCI?
- Is the communication system at EOCI the same as at TRCI (e. g. Telmate phone, messages & video visits, accesscorrections e-mails)?
- Are there different mailing rules (I know they allow shirts off pics from inmates, but also more than 10 items per envelopes etc.)?
- Does anybody know if there are rules if inmates were sent to cells or dorms?
- How is the climate? Lot of fights and lockdowns?
1. Your visitation should still be valid. Once you're approved by DOC, you're approved for all DOC institutions.

2. DOC has contracts for the entirety of its institutions, so all communications should be the same, though the specifics may vary on his end (e.g. the kiosks may be located in a different place than he's accustomed to, but they will still have them)

3. The mailing rules also apply to the entirety of DOC - whatever you could or could not send through the mail from TRCI is the same for EOCI.

4. I don't believe there are rules about cells vs. dorms - I think that's more a matter of bed space, but I could very easily be wrong about that. Once he's there, he can always ask to move if he wants - no guarantee that they WILL move him, but he can ask.

5. Not sure on the climate. Just looking at how the numbers play out at EOCI vs. TRCI, they look about the same ( http://www.oregon.gov/doc/RESRCH/doc...ile_201406.pdf ) but that doesn't mean that they are. Lots of things can have an impact on the climate including the corporate culture of the guards etc. Hopefully someone else will come along who can answer your question from experience.

And I hope this is helpful to you.
Old 06-11-2017, 02:14 PM

Hi Mrs Tudor! My boyfriend is at EOCI too. I have never visited, but I am planning on doing so in the near future. I am an Austrian Citizen. Please could you let me know what I need in order to get my visitations approved? And how long does the whole process take, approximately?
Old 06-11-2017, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 8,234 Times in 3,218 Posts

First, you'll need to fill out this form: https://www.oregon.gov/doc/OPS/docs/...pplication.pdf

I believe you will be required to also submit a copy of your passport and a letter from the Austrian police saying that you have no criminal record. You can email the people who process visitor's applications here: DOC.Visitors@doc.state.or.us

They'll be able to answer your questions. For someone living inside the US, it can take 4 - 6 weeks for the application to be fully approved. First DOC has to approve you to visit him, then they send the form to him to sign saying he agrees to visit with you (it may get to EOCI and sit there for a few weeks - make sure to let him know that you submitted it and he should keep an eye out for it. By 4 weeks in, it *should* have gotten to his counselor for him to sign. The counselors don't always remember to have their charges sign the visitor's application.)

If it seems like it's getting too close to when your flight is set, you can call and try to speak directly to his counselor about it. DOC does try very hard to make it easy for people who have traveled long distances to visit.

If you want to visit more than the typically allowed number of sessions (usually 1 per weekend day, 2 per weekday day), you'll need to have his counselor put that in his notes and you'll need to tell the folks where you check in that you should be approved for more than the typical number of visits allowed on that day.

I would guess that an overseas application would take about 8 weeks total. But that's pure guessing on my part.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:49 AM

Thank you so much, Ginger! This was really helpful
The Following User Says Thank You to Mariana81 For This Useful Post:
GingerM (06-12-2017)
Old 06-16-2017, 10:09 AM

We have a son at EOCI. He has been there since the middle of March and only entered the system at the end of February. He is happy and content considering his situation. We have visited 3 times and each time has been without problem. I think the visiting area is quite nice and one need not wait outside in the weather while waiting admittance because there is a very nice lobby and waiting area inside. We belong to a support group and it seems as if we have more agreeable thoughts regarding EOCI versus those with loved ones in other institutions. Our son has learned to be persistent but not annoying in his requests. In all honesty I believe EOCI to be better than most in the state.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rosemary5293 For This Useful Post:
Mariana81 (06-17-2017)