Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!






Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OREGON > Oregon Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Oregon Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Oregon.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-22-2011, 11:45 PM
My3Boyz's Avatar
My3Boyz My3Boyz is offline
My Family is my LIFE!
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 257
Thanks: 1,722
Thanked 942 Times in 220 Posts
Default Questions about AIP at Powder River

My son was just transferred to Powder River for the AIP program. I have a few questions and am hoping someone might have the answers.

1. How soon after transfer can he start calling home?
2. Can he have visits right away or is there a waiting period?
3. What does the program consist of, i.e., what do they do all day?
4. Is this a good program? Do most people make it the whole six months?
5. What can I do to help him while he is in the program other than visits and letters?
6. Does he still get commissary? Can he still order his guitar or are those not allowed?

I am sure there is more I should ask but this will at least get me some idea of what to expect. Like I said he just got there today and I haven't heard from him yet. I am sure he is getting settled in and I will hear from him but wanted to see if anyone here had some answers. Thanks in advance for the help.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 06-23-2011, 11:22 PM
Scott's Avatar
Scott Scott is offline
Lifecoach
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,390
Thanks: 3,288
Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,209 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by My3Boyz View Post
My son was just transferred to Powder River for the AIP program. I have a few questions and am hoping someone might have the answers.

1. How soon after transfer can he start calling home?
2. Can he have visits right away or is there a waiting period?
3. What does the program consist of, i.e., what do they do all day?
4. Is this a good program? Do most people make it the whole six months?
5. What can I do to help him while he is in the program other than visits and letters?
6. Does he still get commissary? Can he still order his guitar or are those not allowed?

I am sure there is more I should ask but this will at least get me some idea of what to expect. Like I said he just got there today and I haven't heard from him yet. I am sure he is getting settled in and I will hear from him but wanted to see if anyone here had some answers. Thanks in advance for the help.
1. 24 Hours.
2. Check the web page to make sure you know when the visiting days/hours are. AS long as it falls into those guidelines he can have visits.
3. Right now he's probably not in the program, but on the waiting list. The usual thing is to transfer people to observe them for a little bit, before actually entering the AIP program. They do want him to succeed.
4. This program, like every program - can be a GREAT program if you take it seriously. So, as long as he works it to the best of his ability it can be helpful.
5. Let him focus on the program. That's his "Job #1" right now. Letters and visits are more than enough. In fact, too much and it will distract him from the work he needs to do.
6. Not sure about that, but in AIP he wouldn't have much time for guitar practice or lessons.
__________________
Trying God's Patience since 1955
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scott For This Useful Post:
My3Boyz (07-07-2011), victors1girl (04-13-2013)
  #3  
Old 06-24-2011, 02:36 AM
kat39 kat39 is offline
JEFFS LADY
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Riddle Or
Posts: 139
Thanks: 22
Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by My3Boyz View Post
My son was just transferred to Powder River for the AIP program. I have a few questions and am hoping someone might have the answers.

1. How soon after transfer can he start calling home?
2. Can he have visits right away or is there a waiting period?
3. What does the program consist of, i.e., what do they do all day?
4. Is this a good program? Do most people make it the whole six months?
5. What can I do to help him while he is in the program other than visits and letters?
6. Does he still get commissary? Can he still order his guitar or are those not allowed?

I am sure there is more I should ask but this will at least get me some idea of what to expect. Like I said he just got there today and I haven't heard from him yet. I am sure he is getting settled in and I will hear from him but wanted to see if anyone here had some answers. Thanks in advance for the help.




MY Husband is there in the second stage of the program. The program is what you make it. It is hard work and about changing the way a person thinks and helping them to learn how to make better decisons. It does take focus and hardwork. They go through an entry stage and like scott said its to see if they are ready. I am really impressed with my husbands progress and the want for change. He gets to play his guitar. He signed up to play in the chapel band so he has a great excuse to play. As scott also said letters and visits should suffice.He will be very busy all day. But this is good it helps their time go a bit faster . Trust me if he is dedicated and takes the program seriously he will be better for it. He will be doing classes all day and learning and memorizing lots of steps to positive change . He will have alot of homwework. This program also helps guys understand accountability and makes them look inward. Sometimes it can be tough for some to do that. Despite rumors its not about telling on someone. When I went to visit Jeff recited the steps to change and how a negative action can be replaced by a positive. I was very impressed. He will finish if he does what he is asked to and dose not get caught up in any drama. Any other questions just ask, Im no expert by any means but I do have a little insight . Kelly Mccarter

Last edited by kat39; 06-24-2011 at 02:42 AM..
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kat39 For This Useful Post:
My3Boyz (07-07-2011), Scott (06-24-2011), victors1girl (04-13-2013)
  #4  
Old 06-28-2011, 01:33 PM
HisRockerGirl's Avatar
HisRockerGirl HisRockerGirl is offline
He's the arrow thru my <3
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 529
Thanks: 368
Thanked 281 Times in 179 Posts
Default

Scott.. you are a wealth of information. Do you happen to know if there is anything like this on the outside? My fiance'e was denied AIP because (before he was in) he had enrolled himself in a treatment program over a year ago and graduated, but then blew it, so because it was within 2 years he was not eligible for AIP. I was really hoping for him to go through something like this while he is at DRCI, but doesn't seem like anything like that is possible.
__________________





If I ever had a sweet dream, baby it's you.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HisRockerGirl For This Useful Post:
My3Boyz (07-07-2011)
  #5  
Old 06-28-2011, 01:35 PM
orelectric orelectric is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lake Oswego, OR USA
Posts: 71
Thanks: 4
Thanked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Default

My son is at Powder River now, in the 'transition' group. when he arrived, they put him in general population. after a couple of weeks, he moved to transition. There are two groups in gen pop, one transition group, and two groups in the program. they are identified by the color of the lanyard that holds their ID badge. transition is black. i think the program is yellow or blue(or green), and the gen pop is red or purple. by and large, the gen pop guys are negative about the program...likely because they aren't in it. the guys in transition are more positive, but stressed because they all worry about getting in. there is no communication...you find out you're in the day they move you in. you have no idea when you might make it in, or if you'll make it in at all....frustrating. my son keeps hearing rumors that there will be no slots open for a couple of months.

if you go to truthought.com and look at their materials, it is part of what they use in the program. the idea is to get the guys to stop giving themselves permission to do wrong things, and start thinking right. identify thinking barriers, and the alternative responsible thinking steps. you're busy 14 - 16 hrs per day, and they do limit how much per week you can spend in commissary. my son is loading up on his coffee now, so he won't feel deprived if and when he gets in. they also dedicate 30% of your 'books' to a savings acct to accumulate money for you to use when you get out.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to orelectric For This Useful Post:
BearClaws (11-04-2014), My3Boyz (07-07-2011), victors1girl (04-13-2013)
  #6  
Old 06-28-2011, 04:27 PM
Scott's Avatar
Scott Scott is offline
Lifecoach
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,390
Thanks: 3,288
Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,209 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisRockerGirl View Post
Scott.. you are a wealth of information. Do you happen to know if there is anything like this on the outside? My fiance'e was denied AIP because (before he was in) he had enrolled himself in a treatment program over a year ago and graduated, but then blew it, so because it was within 2 years he was not eligible for AIP. I was really hoping for him to go through something like this while he is at DRCI, but doesn't seem like anything like that is possible.
If someone is an addict (alcohol, drugs, whatever) recovery is really challenging without a structured program to address the thinking that we use to create our daily reality. In everyone's world thoughts become things, and "stinkin thinking" is at the root of all addictive issues.

The jury is out as to whether that change in thinking processes can be best achieved through a program, or through self-study and support. My professional opinion is that it requires a combination of both.

I was involved for a number of years as an instructor with the DePaul Treatment Program in Portland DePaul Treatment Centers - Adult Residential and rate it very highly. There are others in the Portland area as well. I'm just most familiar (and comfortable with) DePaul.

The most important thing to remember is that the treatment center's don't cure people, the treatment centers give people the skills to manage addictive thinking and behavior. Some people need ten programs before they "get it", and what there is to get, is that recovery is a personal choice of the individual. You decide to live a clean and sober life - day to day, or you don't. At some level, it's that simple. That said, no question that the tools do help.

Can I also recommend you read through this: The Principle of Threshold - as it gives some slightly alternative insight into the management of addiction recovery.

Hope you find it interesting.
__________________
Trying God's Patience since 1955
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scott For This Useful Post:
My3Boyz (07-08-2011)
  #7  
Old 06-28-2011, 11:20 PM
HisRockerGirl's Avatar
HisRockerGirl HisRockerGirl is offline
He's the arrow thru my <3
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 529
Thanks: 368
Thanked 281 Times in 179 Posts
Default

Thank you for the information. He has decided that he wants to stay sober. While he is in there, I am learning as much as I can to help him when he comes home.
__________________





If I ever had a sweet dream, baby it's you.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HisRockerGirl For This Useful Post:
My3Boyz (07-08-2011)
  #8  
Old 07-07-2011, 03:24 PM
My3Boyz's Avatar
My3Boyz My3Boyz is offline
My Family is my LIFE!
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 257
Thanks: 1,722
Thanked 942 Times in 220 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat39 View Post
MY Husband is there in the second stage of the program. The program is what you make it. It is hard work and about changing the way a person thinks and helping them to learn how to make better decisons. It does take focus and hardwork. They go through an entry stage and like scott said its to see if they are ready. I am really impressed with my husbands progress and the want for change. He gets to play his guitar. He signed up to play in the chapel band so he has a great excuse to play. As scott also said letters and visits should suffice.He will be very busy all day. But this is good it helps their time go a bit faster . Trust me if he is dedicated and takes the program seriously he will be better for it. He will be doing classes all day and learning and memorizing lots of steps to positive change . He will have alot of homwework. This program also helps guys understand accountability and makes them look inward. Sometimes it can be tough for some to do that. Despite rumors its not about telling on someone. When I went to visit Jeff recited the steps to change and how a negative action can be replaced by a positive. I was very impressed. He will finish if he does what he is asked to and dose not get caught up in any drama. Any other questions just ask, Im no expert by any means but I do have a little insight . Kelly Mccarter
Thank you for the information..I have been gone and just got back to read this..He called today for his birthday to let me know he was moved from gen pop to transition or staging as he called it..so he is at least in the ready stage to start the program..I appreciate the information so that I can pass this onto him..It's good to get the info from people that are going through it instead of the info he is getting..I know he can do this program..hes been through military school so if he can do that he can do anything as long as he is willing to take a good hard look at himself..I am looking forward to his completing this program and coming home soon..Thanks again and best wishes for your husband..
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-07-2011, 03:30 PM
My3Boyz's Avatar
My3Boyz My3Boyz is offline
My Family is my LIFE!
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 257
Thanks: 1,722
Thanked 942 Times in 220 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orelectric View Post
My son is at Powder River now, in the 'transition' group. when he arrived, they put him in general population. after a couple of weeks, he moved to transition. There are two groups in gen pop, one transition group, and two groups in the program. they are identified by the color of the lanyard that holds their ID badge. transition is black. i think the program is yellow or blue(or green), and the gen pop is red or purple. by and large, the gen pop guys are negative about the program...likely because they aren't in it. the guys in transition are more positive, but stressed because they all worry about getting in. there is no communication...you find out you're in the day they move you in. you have no idea when you might make it in, or if you'll make it in at all....frustrating. my son keeps hearing rumors that there will be no slots open for a couple of months.

if you go to truthought.com and look at their materials, it is part of what they use in the program. the idea is to get the guys to stop giving themselves permission to do wrong things, and start thinking right. identify thinking barriers, and the alternative responsible thinking steps. you're busy 14 - 16 hrs per day, and they do limit how much per week you can spend in commissary. my son is loading up on his coffee now, so he won't feel deprived if and when he gets in. they also dedicate 30% of your 'books' to a savings acct to accumulate money for you to use when you get out.
Thank you also for the information..Like I said to Kat in my reply my son just moved to transition yesterday and is waiting to get into the program..He is not worried about doing the work or anything like that he is just worried about getting kicked out for something trivial or for not doing something right..I tell him the all he can do is give it his all and do his best and everything should be fine..He has also started stocking up on commissary for when he does get into the program..he is eager to get in so that he can come home and start his life..I wish the best for you son as well and hope that all our loved ones in the program can complete it and come home where they belong..Thanks again
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-07-2011, 03:45 PM
JustBeingMe67's Avatar
JustBeingMe67 JustBeingMe67 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Oregon
Posts: 5,377
Thanks: 866
Thanked 1,865 Times in 892 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by My3Boyz View Post
My son was just transferred to Powder River for the AIP program. I have a few questions and am hoping someone might have the answers.

1. How soon after transfer can he start calling home?
2. Can he have visits right away or is there a waiting period?
3. What does the program consist of, i.e., what do they do all day?
4. Is this a good program? Do most people make it the whole six months?
5. What can I do to help him while he is in the program other than visits and letters?
6. Does he still get commissary? Can he still order his guitar or are those not allowed?

I am sure there is more I should ask but this will at least get me some idea of what to expect. Like I said he just got there today and I haven't heard from him yet. I am sure he is getting settled in and I will hear from him but wanted to see if anyone here had some answers. Thanks in advance for the help.
My fiance completed the program at Powder River.

If he has a phone account set up, he should be able to call right away. I made sure that I got a local number to baker City, so that way our calls were 1.75.

He can have visits as soon as he gets there, as long as they are approved by Powder River and DOC.

The program is excellent, IF the person wants to seek recovery. They do not mess around in there. He will be given a workbook to work through while he is there. He will have group sessions, peer reviews, and tests that he has to take at the end of each section (I believe there are 3 or 4 phases in the program) to make sure he is understanding what he is learning. They are VERY strict there, more so than the other state prisons (because it is a drug/alcohol program). They can work in different areas of the prison, (fiance worked in the kitchen).

Some people make it the whole six months and others do not, it depends on the individual. They can tell when someone is BSing them, the counselors there are REALLY good at detecting BSer's. If your loved one is serious about recovery, then I do not see them having any problems with the program. It has an 85% success rate. I actually ordered the book that my fiance worked out of, so I could see what he was being advised to do.
DEEP stuff!

The best you can do is visit as much as you can, keep the letters coming and be a strong support system for your loved one. It will be stressful for them, but like I said, if they are sincere, they will get a great education.

Yes, they can still get commissary, as it is still a prison, it is just one that only has inmates that are getting treatment.

I hope I was able to offer you some information, if you have anymore questions, do not hesitate to ask me, either here or in a PM.

I hope your son is sincere about his recovery, because Powder River has an excellent program. They have to be willing to look deep within themselves to really get the benefits of the program.

One other thing, they may try to keep him from coming home to you, once he is released. The counselor will make sure that he has a stable home to go to. My home has no alcohol/drugs in it, but she (his counselor) still made him go to a transition house.

Peace~
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JustBeingMe67 For This Useful Post:
BearClaws (11-04-2014), My3Boyz (07-07-2011), Scott (07-07-2011), victors1girl (04-13-2013)
  #11  
Old 07-07-2011, 08:45 PM
My3Boyz's Avatar
My3Boyz My3Boyz is offline
My Family is my LIFE!
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 257
Thanks: 1,722
Thanked 942 Times in 220 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by InmateLover67 View Post
My fiance completed the program at Powder River.

If he has a phone account set up, he should be able to call right away. I made sure that I got a local number to baker City, so that way our calls were 1.75.

He can have visits as soon as he gets there, as long as they are approved by Powder River and DOC.

The program is excellent, IF the person wants to seek recovery. They do not mess around in there. He will be given a workbook to work through while he is there. He will have group sessions, peer reviews, and tests that he has to take at the end of each section (I believe there are 3 or 4 phases in the program) to make sure he is understanding what he is learning. They are VERY strict there, more so than the other state prisons (because it is a drug/alcohol program). They can work in different areas of the prison, (fiance worked in the kitchen).

Some people make it the whole six months and others do not, it depends on the individual. They can tell when someone is BSing them, the counselors there are REALLY good at detecting BSer's. If your loved one is serious about recovery, then I do not see them having any problems with the program. It has an 85% success rate. I actually ordered the book that my fiance worked out of, so I could see what he was being advised to do.
DEEP stuff!

The best you can do is visit as much as you can, keep the letters coming and be a strong support system for your loved one. It will be stressful for them, but like I said, if they are sincere, they will get a great education.

Yes, they can still get commissary, as it is still a prison, it is just one that only has inmates that are getting treatment.

I hope I was able to offer you some information, if you have anymore questions, do not hesitate to ask me, either here or in a PM.

I hope your son is sincere about his recovery, because Powder River has an excellent program. They have to be willing to look deep within themselves to really get the benefits of the program.

One other thing, they may try to keep him from coming home to you, once he is released. The counselor will make sure that he has a stable home to go to. My home has no alcohol/drugs in it, but she (his counselor) still made him go to a transition house.

Peace~
Thank you for the response and the information. Right now he is in the transition portion. Is there anything he should be doing to show them he is ready to enter the program? Or is it just a first come first into the program basis kind of thing?


My son already told me that his counselor said he would probably have to go to the Oxford house before coming home. Which I guess if that's what has to happen so be it..There are no drugs or alcohol in our home anymore and haven't been for awhile. But I have no problem with whatever they have him do as long as it means he comes home sooner rather than later anyways. I know that he is ready to do whatever it takes to follow through with this program. I have already told him to be 100% honest with himself first and the program as well. Even if it means saying things that he doesn't like about us as parents. My husband and I know that we have made tons of mistakes throughout his life and have never professed to be perfect so we told him to get it all out and make the program work for him. Take advantage of what is being offered and do it 100%. I know he can do it. We visit often and I write daily and we support him 100% no matter what!

Again thanks for responding. The more information I have the more I can pass onto my son so that he can try and prepare himself and know what lays ahead and then he can be prepared to work hard to get out. But also work hard to make himself a better person as well.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-07-2011, 09:11 PM
JustBeingMe67's Avatar
JustBeingMe67 JustBeingMe67 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Oregon
Posts: 5,377
Thanks: 866
Thanked 1,865 Times in 892 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by My3Boyz View Post
Thank you for the response and the information. Right now he is in the transition portion. Is there anything he should be doing to show them he is ready to enter the program? Or is it just a first come first into the program basis kind of thing?


My son already told me that his counselor said he would probably have to go to the Oxford house before coming home. Which I guess if that's what has to happen so be it..There are no drugs or alcohol in our home anymore and haven't been for awhile. But I have no problem with whatever they have him do as long as it means he comes home sooner rather than later anyways. I know that he is ready to do whatever it takes to follow through with this program. I have already told him to be 100% honest with himself first and the program as well. Even if it means saying things that he doesn't like about us as parents. My husband and I know that we have made tons of mistakes throughout his life and have never professed to be perfect so we told him to get it all out and make the program work for him. Take advantage of what is being offered and do it 100%. I know he can do it. We visit often and I write daily and we support him 100% no matter what!

Again thanks for responding. The more information I have the more I can pass onto my son so that he can try and prepare himself and know what lays ahead and then he can be prepared to work hard to get out. But also work hard to make himself a better person as well.
There is nothing he can do to make it go any faster. Once there is a spot in one of the pods, and they feel he is going to progress to the next stage, then they will start his program.

If he is 100% truthful with the program, he will be a success. My fiance's book was filled with some really deep stuff, but that is what it is all about. Learning about why they use alcohol and drugs, and to learn what "triggers" their using.

He will do great and I wish you ALL the best.

One other thing, I am not trying to stress you out, but if he is scheduled to complete the program say the 26th of December (just a date I picked) and there is not a space available at an Oxford house, they will NOT release him. My fiance was told the same thing, but luckily he was able to get a bed at the local transition center.

Best to you and your son
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JustBeingMe67 For This Useful Post:
My3Boyz (07-07-2011), Scott (07-08-2011)
  #13  
Old 07-07-2011, 09:30 PM
Scott's Avatar
Scott Scott is offline
Lifecoach
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,390
Thanks: 3,288
Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,209 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by My3Boyz View Post
...Is there anything he should be doing to show them he is ready to enter the program? Or is it just a first come first into the program basis kind of thing? ...The more information I have the more I can pass onto my son so that he can try and prepare himself and know what lays ahead and then he can be prepared to work hard to get out.
Please, Please PLEASE let him do this himself. What he doesn't need is coaching from Mom...

Information is fine for you, in terms of helping you understand the program. Trying to give him an "inside track" so he "knows what to expect" isn't helpful in any recovery program. EVER!!

I understand that you care, and I've said this before - let go! To make his recovery work he has to do this on his own. Let him find out about the program in an organic way, not filtered through your filters.

I've taught in the Recovery Community since 1982 and have never seen any good come out of loved ones trying to "help" outside of just being supportive and hands off. Each success, each learning, each new insight, each new day - has to be his success, his learnings - and that may or may not include you.

I don't doubt for a minute that, as you say in your avatar; "my family is my life" - but heard through the ears of a 21 year old, that's a lot of pressure to deal with family dynamics, the complexities you've outlined in other posts, and undergo a serious therapeutic recovery program - all simultaneously.

The same goes for getting information from him - let him share as he NEEDS and wants to - much of the stuff he may start to process isn't "Mom stuff".

A GREAT suggestion from InmateLover67 is to find out what books he's reading, such as this: Relapse Prevention Workbook for $15 and cruise through it so you are really clear on the process he's going through. Do an Amazon search for Terrance Gorski for some others. Here's another one I like:

The Gorski-Cenaps Model for Recovery. This is the system most widely used in the Oregon State DOC at this point - and it's really good.

BTW - The Oxford Houses are excellent choices for release housing.
__________________
Trying God's Patience since 1955

Last edited by Scott; 07-07-2011 at 09:32 PM..
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scott For This Useful Post:
BearClaws (11-04-2014), My3Boyz (07-08-2011)
  #14  
Old 07-08-2011, 03:57 PM
orelectric orelectric is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lake Oswego, OR USA
Posts: 71
Thanks: 4
Thanked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Default baker city local phone

<<If he has a phone account set up, he should be able to call right away. I made sure that I got a local number to baker City, so that way our calls were 1.75.>>

How did you determine a local phone number? i've been trying to figure out what exchanges are actually local calls from powder river with little success.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-08-2011, 04:30 PM
Scott's Avatar
Scott Scott is offline
Lifecoach
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,390
Thanks: 3,288
Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,209 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orelectric View Post
<<If he has a phone account set up, he should be able to call right away. I made sure that I got a local number to baker City, so that way our calls were 1.75.>>

How did you determine a local phone number? i've been trying to figure out what exchanges are actually local calls from powder river with little success.
I'm on the road right now but will answer this when I get home tonight and give you a list of all the relevant exchanges.
__________________
Trying God's Patience since 1955
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-09-2011, 12:46 AM
Scott's Avatar
Scott Scott is offline
Lifecoach
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,390
Thanks: 3,288
Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,209 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orelectric View Post
<<If he has a phone account set up, he should be able to call right away. I made sure that I got a local number to baker City, so that way our calls were 1.75.>>

How did you determine a local phone number? i've been trying to figure out what exchanges are actually local calls from powder river with little success.
Sorry - just got home. Here are all the local exchanges for Powder River Correctional Facility: so, Any of the numbers below: 541-239-XXXX, etc., would be LOCAL to Powder River.

541;239;Baker;OR
541;249;Baker;OR
541;403;Baker;OR
541;406;Baker;OR
541;518;Baker;OR
541;519;Baker;OR
541;523;Baker;OR
541;524;Baker;OR
541;320;Sumpter;OR
541;446;Hereford-Unity;OR
541;470;Durkee;OR
541;794;North Powder;OR
541;853;Medical Springs;OR
541;856;Haines;OR
541;877;Durkee;OR
541;894;Sumpter;OR
541;898;North Powder;OR
__________________
Trying God's Patience since 1955
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-09-2011, 11:45 PM
Ms.Mom Ms.Mom is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Willamette Valley, OR, USA
Posts: 44
Thanks: 69
Thanked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Default

My son graduated from this program last year, and they used this workbook: "Criminal Conduct and Substance Abuse Treatment: Strategies For Self-Improvement and Change, Pathways to Responsible Living: The Participant's Workbook"
Dr. Kenneth W. Wanberg, Dr. Harvey B. Milkman

He was supposed to go to an Oxford House, but since there wasn't a room available, he went to a local halfway house. Although we have an alcohol and drug free home, it was really best that he went there to establish his independence.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ms.Mom For This Useful Post:
My3Boyz (07-12-2011), Scott (07-09-2011)
  #18  
Old 07-10-2011, 08:42 AM
Donna B Donna B is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lane County Oregon
Posts: 40
Thanks: 26
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

I just wanted to say thank you Scott for all the wisdom you bring to this forum. My brother recently went to Shutter Creek so i thought i'd give him some information as to what to expect from them, until i read your post here. I had it all written out and just about ready to send to him...but i took it out of my letter thanks to you. Sometimes when helping our loved ones we don't think (immediately) about the fact that they need to do this on their own . It's all done out of love so we just want to help in any way we can. So thank you for posting what you did about them doing this on their own. I hope you know how much you are appreciated in this forum.

[quote=Scott;6228984]Please, Please PLEASE let him do this himself. What he doesn't need is coaching from Mom...

Information is fine for you, in terms of helping you understand the program. Trying to give him an "inside track" so he "knows what to expect" isn't helpful in any recovery program. EVER!!
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Donna B For This Useful Post:
My3Boyz (07-12-2011), Scott (07-10-2011)
  #19  
Old 05-31-2016, 02:39 PM
myxbtoy myxbtoy is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: May 2016
Location: salem oregon
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile thank you all

I just want to thank you all for your questions and replies.
about powder river AIP . and you are right, they need to do this on their own or they won't get anything out of it. they need this. I know my grandson can do this, he has a great positive attitude.

again thank you all
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-02-2017, 11:10 AM
tslittlesister's Avatar
tslittlesister tslittlesister is offline
Registered User
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 180
Thanks: 6
Thanked 86 Times in 50 Posts
Default

This is such a great thread and I'm glad I stumbled upon it today. My brother was just moved to Powder River for AIP. He is sober and intends to stay sober but has been a real baby about accepting that he has to do AIP. Which annoys the hell out of me because I think he should use every resource he has to get help for his addiction problem.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tslittlesister For This Useful Post:
GingerM (06-02-2017)
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:55 PM.
Copyright © 2001- 2017 Prison Talk Online
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website Design & Custom vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media
Message Board Statistics