Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Criminal Legal Help!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Criminal Legal Help! Ask questions, get opinions, and find resources on dealing with criminal justice legal issues, appeals, and more..

View Poll Results: Why is it so hard for me to get medical information on my husband?
I don't think the system works well when it comes to important information 10 66.67%
It's hard when you have a loved one incarcerated it takes a toll on you. 9 60.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-2019, 09:45 AM

Default My rights as a wife to my husbands mental status

Hello 30 days ago I was able to talk to my husband everything was fine. When I didn't talk to him for a couple of days I searched inmate locator and found out he was in the Mens Colonial facility in San Luis Obispo in a Crisis bed. I've talked to the counselor finally after I requested to have him emailed because there is no voicemail. He called and told me my husband is safe and not to worry. And that due to HIPPA he can't really tell me anything. And that he will see if the team will let him place a call which he never did. Me and my hisband talk eveyday or everyother now its like no letter, no phone call l don't even know his mental state. This is driving me crazy because l feel like I'm a stranger to my husband and I'm in the dark even though I'm his wife. I also reached out to OMBUDSMAN for a couple of others thinks that was happening and they sent me a link for a ROI but what good is that if my husband isn't capable of even signing. Not sure what's going on but I really want to hear my husband's voice and see him. All this is new to me and I'm not the type of person to sit around and not know what's going on with my husband's. Stressed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Offrictor For This Useful Post:
missingdee (05-13-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2019, 10:08 AM

This sounds terribly heart wrenching and I'm so sorry you're going through this. Are you able to visit at all?
Old 05-12-2019, 05:16 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 34,619 Times in 15,971 Posts

Oh how I wish everyone going to prison would sign a HIPPA and POA Its terribly hard to get info even with a HIPPA, without one....... I'm sorry this is happening to you and your husband and hope someone will come along with a couple of ideas that will help you. Sending wishes and positive energy that your husband's health improves quickly and he calls you soon. Welcome to PTO

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
miamac (05-12-2019), sidewalker (05-13-2019), yourself (05-12-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
Oh how I wish everyone going to prison would sign a HIPPA and POA Its terribly hard to get info even with a HIPPA, without one....... I'm sorry this is happening to you and your husband and hope someone will come along with a couple of ideas that will help you. Sending wishes and positive energy that your husband's health improves quickly and he calls you soon. Welcome to PTO
Thank you I hope so to...
patchouli (05-12-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyLimitReach View Post
This sounds terribly heart wrenching and I'm so sorry you're going through this. Are you able to visit at all?
No not at the moment so sad..
Old 05-12-2019, 05:55 PM

I wish I had more answers I feel so helpless..
Old 05-12-2019, 07:28 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 34,619 Times in 15,971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offrictor View Post
I wish I had more answers I feel so helpless..

Breathe!! And be patient, all members are not online everyday

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
jessesgirl1111 (05-13-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 09:55 PM

It's definitely a very, very frustrating situation. My suggestion would be to send your husband a generic HIPAA form and ask him to complete and sign it, then return it to you as soon as possible. Someone on this forum used to work as a PA in a prison system and suggested to send a spouse about 4-6 blank HIPAA forms, have them complete and sign two, and sign the others while leaving the facility blank (for future use in case of treatment with potential outside providers, like hospitals, in the event of a medical emergency).

Here is a link to a generic HIPAA form that covers all the bases: https://www.athenaeum.edu/pdf/free-h...lease-form.pdf

For an expiration date, your spouse can complete it in many different ways -- it doesn't have to end on a specific date within, say, a year. He can choose to have it expire ten years from now, or upon his death, or even two years after his death, etc.

Good luck to you, and keep us posted.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Taliba00 For This Useful Post:
missingdee (05-13-2019), patchouli (05-13-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 04:28 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 5,693 Times in 2,153 Posts

I wish there was a good straight-forward answer to this, but even as a spouse your access to information is limited :\ And while you may be able to gain POA if he's incapacitated longer-term, the prison is not going to be able to give you information shorter-term to explain why he is on a crisis bed (although it may not be a situation that requires it.)

CMC is near San Luis Obispo and actually one of the more pleasant settings for a prison in the state. I drove past it on my way to Hearst Castle a couple of weekends ago and said "actually, if God forbid I ever do state time, I think I'd manage okay if I wound up here...beautiful valley, within 10 miles of the coast meaning the occasional sea breeze will come through and cool things down, temperatures are mild...."

Knock on wood that I never wind up in that situation, but from that standpoint CMC is not a bad prison to be at.

You could always call the prison visiting Sargent and see if he's able to receive visitors right now or if his situation precludes it. Even if it's non-contact visitation, it might be worth the trip for peace of mind. (Plus, I don't know about you, but for me, if I can ever find an excuse to visit the central coast, I take it! SLO and Morro Bay are within 10 minutes of the prison, and Pismo Beach is about 25 minutes. Hearst Castle is about 30 minutes north.....just saying, if you do have to visit, turn it into a long weekend and see the sights, it's incredibly refreshing!)

All that said, I hope that he is okay and that you'll have more answers soon. I'm sorry that dealing with CDCr can be so difficult and that marriage doesn't particularly increase the rights you have to access your husband's information in this case. Dee and I weren't married, but there were a few times over the years where she wound up on suicide watch or a crisis bed, and the lulls in communication always made me a bit worried. While "crisis bed" can be worrisome, it also means they are aware of whatever his situation is and paying attention to him, so hopefully this is a good sign.

-Eric

"I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
-Thomas Jefferson
The Following User Says Thank You to missingdee For This Useful Post:
patchouli (05-13-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 09:44 PM

Thanks everyone for your encouraging words. After looking trough the San Luis Obispo website I was able to email one of the Lt. and they informed me that my husband in the meantime was transferred back to the bay for further observation. I was able to calll and get a couple of non- contact visits scheduled until they decide to move him again. At least I get to see him and make sure he's ok. I'll keep you posted. And yes I will be filing out a HIPPA form so that I can always be in the loop.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Offrictor For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-16-2019), missingdee (05-16-2019), Taliba00 (05-16-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 09:49 PM

@Eric I know how it is to miss someone. Sometimes it can be hard but I just keep my head up and just do what I can. @Taliba00 thanks for the link to the HIPPA form I'm hoping to look into that and the ROI for my husband.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Offrictor For This Useful Post:
missingdee (05-16-2019), Taliba00 (05-16-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 02:55 AM

I always thought that being my husbands' POA meant that applied to medical issues as well but after calling about some issues about him not receiving proper medical care the people in medical at the prison loved to use that it was a HIPPA violation for them to speak to me about anything regarding his medical issues so they didn't have to deal with me. My husband quickly asked around and filled out the proper forms (that the infirmary had on hand in his case) that gives me the right to discuss and hear about all of his medical problems/issues. He made sure a copy was put in his medical file as well as sending me a copy and keeping one in his cell. It's so frustrating to know your husband is having a medical issue and they try to keep you in the dark :-( For any people who haven't had their loved one sign a POA and HIPPA release form I would try to get that done soon because you never know when it will come in handy.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:34 AM

Thank you so much I will get that done right away.
SusanR610 (Yesterday)