Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OREGON > Oregon Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Oregon Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Oregon.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:49 PM

Angry Heaters out at Snake River Correctional & won't be fixed until summer?!

Hello I am new to this whole prison stuff. However my son is currently incarcerated at Snake River Correctional institution and the heaters aren't working in there and they are telling the inmates they won't be fixed until summer time. Wondering if anyone knows anything I could do about this or who to contact about this. Cause I believe it's mistreatment of inmates.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2016, 09:59 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 34,817 Times in 16,053 Posts

Brrrr....isn't is awfully cold in Oregon for no heat? I'm sorry your son -- and you by extension -- have to deal with this

I found the following on Oregon's DOC page:

Inspector General HOTLINE

This number may be used to report:
  • Abuse
  • Extortion
  • Fraud
  • Inmate prohibited conduct
  • Staff misconduct
  • Waste

This number should not be used to complain about routine institution operations.

Hotline information will be reviewed each business day; an investigation may result. If inmates provide false information, they may receive a misconduct report.

Hotline calls will not be charged to inmate phone accounts.

All messages left on the hotline are reviewed each business day. If the information is credible, follow-up action will occur. These actions may range from a referral to the appropriate superintendent or functional unit manager to an investigation conducted by the Special Investigations Unit. While callers are not required to identify themselves, if they do so then investigators can discreetly contact them. The Inspector General requests callers leave as much information as possible to aid the investigators.

There are two hotline numbers; one for inmates and one for public/staff. The phone number for inmates is restricted to direct dialing only from the inmate phone system. The public and staff will be unable to access the inmate number from any DOC staff phone or community phone.

The number for the public or staff is accessible from any DOC staff phone or community phone.

Public and Staff toll-free number: (877) 678-4222

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 12-31-2016, 10:01 PM

Awesome thank you so much. And yes it's too cold for them not to have heat and this momma is worried sick.
The Following User Says Thank You to Thekidzmom For This Useful Post:
patchouli (12-31-2016)
Old 12-31-2016, 10:04 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 34,817 Times in 16,053 Posts

I looked for an Ombudsman's number.....perhaps Oregon DOC doesn't have one. But I'd sure call the number above and if they can't help (or investigate) I'd ask them who to call Good Luck!

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 12-31-2016, 10:13 PM

Default Thank you

Thank you so much for your time and I also searched for the ombudsman's number and had no luck I did call that number and left a message and I will call back until I can actually talk to someone.
The Following User Says Thank You to Thekidzmom For This Useful Post:
patchouli (01-01-2017)
Old 01-01-2017, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,742 Times in 3,043 Posts

Do you have any corroborating info? I'll see if I can get info from my friend there.

I've sent him a message - now to wait until he can get his email and reply to it.

Last edited by GingerM; 01-01-2017 at 08:29 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
nimuay (01-08-2017), patchouli (01-01-2017)
Old 01-01-2017, 10:14 AM

The only info I have is that my son is on 2 side the STM unit and the heat hasn't been working and isn't working I am trying to get ahold of someone to get this issue investigated I did call a number and reported it but its just a hotline. Thank you for trying to help
Old 01-07-2017, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,742 Times in 3,043 Posts

Here's what my friend told me (sorry for the delay, not all the kiosks are working properly - nothing new there - so it took a while for him to get my email and more for him to reply):

They have heat, just not much of it. One of the boilers is out and a company back east has to make a part or parts for it. Some people are ok with the amount of heat. However, others are not. My friend is still wearing a t-shirt and shorts, while his cellie has on a thermal shirt, a t-shirt, a long sleeve shirt, pants, a coat, gloves and usually a blanket on and is still cold.

If you can afford it, you might want to put some money on his books and encourage him to buy long underwear and a knitted cap. The cap will help a lot. As will moving (as much as he can) to generate body heat.

It sounds like DOC is doing all they can, but if they need a part that is not available and must be manufactured, there's not much DOC can do to speed that up.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
nimuay (01-08-2017), patchouli (01-07-2017)