Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Parents with Children in Prison > The Parents Forum Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2019, 07:07 PM

Default Heartbreaking Christmas

Before my son was sent to prison he and his then girlfriend had a son. The relationship ended badly and they wound up in family court for visitation. Because my son was on house arrest he had limited time with his son. Since my son is now in prison we filed for grandparents rights. We get our grandson the first sunday of every month for 4 hours. Sucks that we get to see him so little. Now move to Christmas. My family has always gotten together for dinner at my brother's for years and at this time we do a family pic. Since my grandson has been born we have tried to work with his mother to have him there for this picture. My mother is now 94 years old and it would have meant everything to her to have her great grandson there for the picture but again his mother refused. I even offered to pick him up and bring him back home but that offer was denied. Our grandson lives about 10 to 15 minutes away and we can only get him one day for 4 hours every month. He is only 2½ years old and I get angry that she is trying to keep him from us like she does. My son has not seen him since last Feb. He can try and talk to him on the phone but like I said my grandson is only 2½ and doesn't talk much. We can also only send him 2 pics a quarter and those have to be approved. My son has a court order to see his son once in 2020, once in 2021 and twice in 2022. This child will not know his father by the time he gets out.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2019, 07:39 PM

Thanked 1,144 Times in 521 Posts

I can totally sympathize with your situation. Our son has been in prison for 6+ years now since his son was 7. We too went to court for supervised visitation for our son with us as the supervisors. Our grandson visits at least monthly. We provided the following evidence to the judge:
1 Our son/grandson had a pre-existing relationship
2. Our grandson wanted to see his Dad
3. We (grandparents) provide a very stable environment for our grandson

We definitely do a lot for our grandson: clothes, electronics, we keep up with all his school work and as he has gotten older he wants to spend more time with his Dad and us.

Our son gets out in approx 13 months and unsure what the arrangement will be but for sure he will stay in his son's life.

So - some other things I do:

1. Keep all texts with our grandson's Mother as evidence that we continue to express concern and love for him.
2. Keep track of all the school events and conferences we attend for our grandson
3. I go thru a family lawyer for advice and I see him when needed.