Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation > Drug & Alcohol Testimonies and Success Stories
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Drug & Alcohol Testimonies and Success Stories Information, inspiration, and resources for addiction.

Old 09-22-2007, 05:02 PM
replanted cheesehead

Default Think I told off a pastor yesterday

Yesterday was the day I came the closest to having a full-blown slip and had more cigerettes than I've had the entire month I went sober.

It all started Thursday night. Here's some background: My BF had been in jail for 2 months and got home a week ago. He started AA while in jail (I was "starting" to quit then, but took the leap - see the ticker) and also started in on Bible studies with a local pastor who ministered at the jail. I thought it was an excellent thing. After all, I was raised with a strong faith in Jesus thanks to my mother and was looking forward to building on my BF & I's sprirtual connection. He attended the pastor's church last Sunday, a Bible study Tuesday and a 1-on-1 study with the pastor Thursday. Meanwhile, I went to by best AA meeting to date that Thursday night, followed by a good workout. I came home to him looking a little distaught.
"So, what's up," I ask?
Since this pastor was having discussions on the evils of alcoholism as he interpretes the Bible, I asked my BF if I could get in on these as well. So, he goes and asks him.
The pastor then asks my BF "Do you live with your girlfriend?"
"Yes," he responds.
Apparently, this pastor suddenly changes the course and tells him that we're "living in sin" because we're not married and obviously having sex (the pastor used the word "fornication"). I also learned that this pastor started feeding his head of this from when he was in jail, and told my BF that if he were ever on the street to give him a call.
I WAS LIVID!!!

Immediately, I went outside & had a cig. We discussed this a bit and he reassurred my that he didn't see things that way (hope not!). The next day, I'm still bothered by the whole thing and have 2 morning cigs (I didn't even do that when I was drinking!). My BF did suggest that if I so choose to talk to the pastor about this. I was just too pissed to let this one go. I believe this pastor crossed the line from counseling on alcohol recovery to interferring with our personal relationship and attemping to convert an already vunerable guy in recovery into a God-fearing Bible thumper.

I called the pastor Friday morning and gave then a non-derrogotory earfull for about 20 minutes. Personally, I thought that instead of making me feel welcome to his church (BTW, I haven't been to church in YEARS!!), he instead chose to judge me. The only arguement he gave in response to about everything I was throwing at him was, "All I've been doing is teaching him to live by the principle of Bible scripture," or something like that.

So, what did I tell the guy? I was not nice and said some pretty harsh stuff.
Women have been persecuted all over the world in the name of religion for thousands of years and it continues today. I was raised to be an independent thinking women, that we are living in the year 2007 - not 1897, that I was so sorry for not finding the man of my dreams, and married w/ kids by age 18. I even asked him to what extent women were involved in his church and the number of single mothers of that involvement. He couldn't give me a straight answer so my response was, "Maybe they don't feel that they're welcome in your church." I even asked the pastor if he had kids of his own and how old was his oldest daughter. He has 5 and the oldest girl is 30. I asked him, "Did she have sex before marriage?" and at first, he didnt give me a straight answer. "You didn't answer the question," I demanded!"Yes, yes she was a virgin when she married," he said.
I was going to buy a mini bottle of wine, go down to the river, cry this one out and "calm my nerves."
BUT I DIDN"T DO IT!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2007, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,556 Times in 11,005 Posts

So, your strength is greater than you knew - Congratulations!!
I know the whole thing about women and religion - there's' a long thread about that somewhere that I cut loose on a couple of years ago.

If your boyfriend can keep a clear line between the alcohol counseling and the relationship counseling then he's a good man, but that's a pretty tough thing to have to do. Would he consider finding another source of strength? That's a very hard thing to ask of him, so it really can't be a deal-breaker, because without his sobriety your relationship won't make it very far.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:59 PM
Donation Award 

That Pastor did cross the line. If he had anything to say about your "fornication" he should have spoken to the two of you in private. Before that pastor had anything to say to you and your bf he should have questioned, "What would have God done?" God would not have humiliated you and made you feel bad. God is a God of unconditional love and compassion. He is a God so full of grace and mercy. It's people like that pastor who make Christians and other pastors have a bad reputation. You and your bf are adults. You know right from wrong. Just trust that God is always by your side.

My Love Bug is HOME as of 2/12/13
Old 09-22-2007, 06:20 PM

And people wonder why I can't / won't buy into the whole mythology business, christ myths or otherwise...
"[T]hough the attorney for the sovereign must prosecute with earnestness and vigor, he must always be faithful to his client's overriding interest that 'justice shall be done.'" United States v. Agurs, 427 U.S. 97, 110-111 (1976).
Old 09-22-2007, 07:22 PM
replanted cheesehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbaby
That Pastor did cross the line. If he had anything to say about your "fornication" he should have spoken to the two of you in private. Before that pastor had anything to say to you and your bf he should have questioned, "What would have God done?" God would not have humiliated you and made you feel bad. God is a God of unconditional love and compassion. He is a God so full of grace and mercy. It's people like that pastor who make Christians and other pastors have a bad reputation. You and your bf are adults. You know right from wrong. Just trust that God is always by your side.
I agree w/ you 100%. He blatently asked me if I was sinning by living with and sleeping w/ my BF outside of marriage (which, by the way, I asked, "define marriage?" How the government defines marriage and how God may define marriage is different. ). My response: "NO! I don't think we're 'sinning', that's up to God to decide."
Nimaway, my BF & I will be attending another church this Sunday. My own mother was proud of me for speaking my mind. I never thought in all of my 36 years of life would I ever do something like this. I even screemed, "What do you want me to do?!!? Kick my BF out so YOU can be at peace?!!? I've always struggled, pay my own rent, car payments, started and run a business from scratch, and if he was so hell bent (no pun intended) on helping my BF then why doesn't he kick down $2,000 so I can do some catch-up on some bills, etc..."

And, yeah, it's folks like this pastor who give a bad rap towards organized religion.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:18 AM

This is an issue that I struggle with also. PO lives with me when he's not in jail. I love him and I plan on being his wife. My parents want me to wait to be married to make sure that rehab works and that he is clean cause his addiction has already cost me a fortune in legal fees, rehab, etc and they want to protect me from financial destruction. The bible says what we are doing is wrong and sinful and I want to do everything right by God. PO would marry me today if that is what makes me happy...I know that without a shadow of doubt. I feel that pastors sometimes come across being rather harsh and judgemental by the way they do and say things but if you read the book yourself they aren't saying anything God hasn't said himself.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:17 AM
replanted cheesehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by POsOldlady
This is an issue that I struggle with also. PO lives with me when he's not in jail. I love him and I plan on being his wife. My parents want me to wait to be married to make sure that rehab works and that he is clean cause his addiction has already cost me a fortune in legal fees, rehab, etc and they want to protect me from financial destruction. The bible says what we are doing is wrong and sinful and I want to do everything right by God. PO would marry me today if that is what makes me happy...I know that without a shadow of doubt. I feel that pastors sometimes come across being rather harsh and judgemental by the way they do and say things but if you read the book yourself they aren't saying anything God hasn't said himself.
You are absolutely right. My mother & I (BTW, I was raised Born-Again Christian, and I'm a strong believe in Jesus Christ) have been praying lots and now, my boyfriend & I had a very unexpected turn of events in the last 48 hours. On Monday, he made the decision to buy a bottle of Vodka, drank it, got caught by the police (see my thread "he's only been out 2 weeks), was kicking, screaming, hitting, spitting, ect. all the way into jail and beyond. He doesn't remember ANY of it!!! I now feel some remorse that had I not have said anything to this pastor, would this have happened?

Old 10-11-2007, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicosgrrlinCO
I now feel some remorse that had I not have said anything to this pastor, would this have happened?
No, what happened has nothing to do with telling off the pastor. You did the right thing to tell him off.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:15 AM

q

Last edited by Logan1492; 10-11-2007 at 04:16 AM.. Reason: Duplicate
Old 10-11-2007, 06:30 AM
THE DRAGON LADY

Thanked 2,165 Times in 860 Posts

Has this pastor never heard of Mary Magdalene?

For someone newly out of prison, the support system is so very important so that they won't go back. And support at home is more important than AA even in my opinion.

Next time you see or talk to this pastor - quote this to him:

Judge not - lest YE be judged.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:43 AM
Reggie's Girl

I just wanted to stop by and let you know that it was not by any of your actions that this took place. The pastor was very much out of line with the way that he handled the situation and that is something that he has to be accountable for but God is not so unforgiving that he would inflict punishment on you like that. God is a forgiving God, if you want to look at this in a spiritual light you need to be angry with the prince of the earth (the devil) because he was right there in your BF's ear edging him on to take that drink. The devil knows that God is pulling your husband away from him and he doesn't want to let go. In fact we can take it a step further and say he won't let go without a fight. Stay strong and keep praying for your BF's full recovery. Do not entertain those thoughts of you speaking wrong to the Pastor any longer because before you know it the pressure will be so great that you will slip also. I think you are a very strong woman so keep the faith and don't give up, sometimes God will allow us to be placed in certain situations to get our attention.

Matthew 6:34 says Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. One day at a time okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicosgrrlinCO
I now feel some remorse that had I not have said anything to this pastor, would this have happened?

Deuteronomy 32:4