Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Criminal Legal Help!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Criminal Legal Help! Ask questions, get opinions, and find resources on dealing with criminal justice legal issues, appeals, and more..

Old 09-17-2007, 03:07 PM
Account Closed

My Man is in Florida we have the soon to be x's address and info, however the lovely people he's spoken 2 have given him the run around. I had to call today to speak with the Chaplin (who he was referred to) only to have him tell me, they only deal with the marriage end of it, not the divorce and referred us back to the law clerks on the compound. SO, any ideas? should i just go the the county court house and get the papers and mail them to him? will he need to file in the county in which he is incarcerated or the county in which we are from? i know they will grant full custody of thier child to her, but is there anyway to petition the court to have the mother allow the child to be able to visit him with either her step parent or his family? any idea would be appreciated..
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2007, 04:18 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,275 Times in 1,021 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8
My Man is in Florida we have the soon to be x's address and info, however the lovely people he's spoken 2 have given him the run around. I had to call today to speak with the Chaplin (who he was referred to) only to have him tell me, they only deal with the marriage end of it, not the divorce and referred us back to the law clerks on the compound. SO, any ideas? should i just go the the county court house and get the papers and mail them to him? will he need to file in the county in which he is incarcerated or the county in which we are from? i know they will grant full custody of thier child to her, but is there anyway to petition the court to have the mother allow the child to be able to visit him with either her step parent or his family? any idea would be appreciated..
Here is a link to the Florida family law forms and other self help information. I am going to attach GENERAL INFORMATION FOR SELF-REPRESENTED LITIGANTS. Here is the link
http://www.flcourts.org/gen_public/f...es/index.shtml
If you have questions just ask, I will do what I can to assist you. I can not give you legal advice, just guide you in the right direction
Attached Files
File Type: pdf geninfo.pdf (136.8 KB, 54 views)
MicrowaveMassacre (01-04-2011)
Old 09-28-2007, 06:09 PM

My finacee is incarcerated in Beeville, Texas the Garza East unit. Today we had our 2nd contact visit. Yeah! And it was an excellent visit.

He comes up for parole in November 2007. We are planning to get married February 23, 2008. But one problem, like so many others out there in love with their incarcerated soulmate. He is married and not yet divorced.

I found some papers to send to him and he forward them to the soon-to-be-ex, but of course, she hasn't responded. Today in our visit, he stated he sent the forms to her again, with no avail. She still hasn't answered.

So my man, asked me to obtain a divorce attorney in the free world and just pay the price so he will be divorced hopefully by the time he comes home in November 2007. I have searched high and low online for a low cost attorney or low cost divorce that wouldn't take long with no success.

Can someone please assist me? What are the steps for him getting the process rolling?

FYI- (a little history of them)
They were married in 1998 and have been separated since 2000. They have one child together and he is 17 years old. He is willing to pay whatever in child support. They have no property, no bank accounts, no vehicles or anything else together.

Help!!!

JOES4ever
Old 10-16-2007, 05:14 PM

Default OK-Appearance in Divorce Court

I am following up on the pro se divorce process for an incarcerated friend. The district court has received the paperwork and filing fee; it's sitting in the supervisors desk waiting for her return on Friday cause no one else knows what to do. While I was on the phone I overheard some of the clerks saying that "how is he going to appear in court?" Has anyone had any experience with once the an inmate files? He's trying to get his ex to sign a waiver of appearance. Do you think this help?
Old 10-18-2007, 10:26 AM

does anyone know of the filing process and costs in Noth Carolina?
Old 10-22-2007, 06:55 AM

Default divorce procedure

Hi there I'm trying to find out about getting a divorce for someone in a fci in the state of pa. but he ws married in ohio. how does that work?
Old 10-25-2007, 05:48 PM

Default Update on OKlahoma divorce

I am following up on the pro se divorce process for an incarcerated friend. The district court has received the paperwork and filing fee; it's sitting in the supervisors desk waiting for her return on Friday cause no one else knows what to do. While I was on the phone I overheard some of the clerks saying that "how is he going to appear in court?" Has anyone had any experience with once the an inmate files? He's trying to get his ex to sign a waiver of appearance. Do you think this help?09-28-2007 06:09 PM

When he mailed the papers the first time he mailed the divorce decree but forgot to put in the petition of divorce. They sent it back to him.

I had given him the heads up on it coming back to him and what was needed so he was ready to mail it back the same day.

The divorce paper work was received from the prison yesterday and the clerks office entered it in the system, it's on the judges docket, now we just wait for the wife to file the waiver of appearance if she doesn't he'll have her summon and then she'll have 30 days to respond . I'm going to suggest to him to have her summoned any ways.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:23 PM

Hey there. I heard from a guy i like in prison (he's also married) that it only costs $1 for a divorce since he's incarcerated. Maybe that's only if she files though.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:28 PM

Default divorce laws in NC

Does anyone know the divorce laws in NC? I am very short on funds, so the cheaper the better! Thanks!
Old 10-26-2007, 12:55 PM

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalinka
Hey there. I heard from a guy i like in prison (he's also married) that it only costs $1 for a divorce since he's incarcerated. Maybe that's only if she files though.

Most state have fee waivers that may be applyed for and/or filed for anyone. Most people that ar incacerated quilify due to their fininacl conditions. On the other had if this person has means(money on his/her books could be different) Look at you local ourt leval for fee waivers, sometimes they are also avilable at the Appeallate court leval also.
Read and follow all instructions to the letter. A judge will grant or deny you application for fee waiver. If the person is filing from in custody fopr fee waiver. The institution of residency will have to provide a copy of whatfunds the inmate has on his/her books . Attach this to your fee waiver application.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:02 PM

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjel2
Does anyone know the divorce laws in NC? I am very short on funds, so the cheaper the better! Thanks!

Here is a link to the laws of North Carolina, Chapters 48- 52c deal with family law matters. http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascripts/Statutes/StatutesTOC.pl

I have been looking for other information on North Carolina, haven't had much luck as of yet. Also check with the clerk of the court in your county and see if there are any forms aviliable for divorce and any fee waiver applications or forms. I will keep looking also
Old 10-31-2007, 12:23 PM
"I'd still pick you"

I would like some info for SC laws on Divorce from prison if anyone can help. Where do I start?
Old 11-02-2007, 10:15 AM

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biznack28
I would like some info for SC laws on Divorce from prison if anyone can help. Where do I start?

Here is a link to the laws(codes) pertaining to divorce for S.C.
http://www.scstatehouse.net/code/titl20.htm I haven't read all of this as of yet, I will see if I can find you some forms also
Old 11-02-2007, 10:52 AM

"While I was on the phone I overheard some of the clerks saying that "how is he going to appear in court?" Has anyone had any experience with once the an inmate files? He's trying to get his ex to sign a waiver of appearance. Do you think this help?"

In a lot of states they can appoint a stand-in or proxy for when they have to appear in court for their divorce proceedings.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro3480
"While I was on the phone I overheard some of the clerks saying that "how is he going to appear in court?" Has anyone had any experience with once the an inmate files? He's trying to get his ex to sign a waiver of appearance. Do you think this help?"

In a lot of states they can appoint a stand-in or proxy for when they have to appear in court for their divorce proceedings.
I had the same question on my 9-26 posting; I've yet to get an answer.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:05 AM
Donation Award 

In SC, they will transport him to court and back in the same day.

He's Home!
Old 11-06-2007, 06:23 PM
Donation Award 

In Texas, you sign Power of Attorney for someone to stand in for you during divorce prceedings. Any questions, feel free to PM me, we are going through it right now.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:18 PM
lucky1960

Default cost for divorce in prison

does anyone know how much it would cost for an inmate to get a divorce while incarcerated? Any help will be of concern.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:12 PM

how about an inmate in fort madison iowa, trying to figure out how to divorce... no kids and she abandoned him....

Last edited by bearnjoy; 12-24-2007 at 11:18 PM..
Old 12-25-2007, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearnjoy
how about an inmate in fort madison iowa, trying to figure out how to divorce... no kids and she abandoned him....

Not sure about iowa but my man is in Ca and is in the same position and he has gone for a missing spouse divorce as long as he can prove he has tried all attempts to find her the court will grant the divorce and an attempt has only to be an ad in the classified in her local paper.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:08 AM

Default Missouri Prison Divorce

Please send me any information on how my brother can get a divorce from prison. He and his wife were both incarcerated at the time they got married. She since has been released and is now screwing everyone but him because he is still in prison. He would like to file for divorce and rid her before she is entitled to his property.
She doesn't live in his house and doesn't live anywhere with his family. Actually we have no clue where she is living.
If anyone cal help me be my broskeeper and get his divorce rolling then please send me anything that you can.
you may email me directly at heatherewalker@yahoo.com
I so appreciate any support that comes my way.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:48 AM

Thanked 1,060 Times in 510 Posts

Divorce laws can vary by each state. For our state you can get and download a divorce papers from the state forum to file. I checked briefly in Mo and did not see them but if you type in Missouri do it yourself divorce you get several links with forms that come up. The one thing that I did note was the Missouri appears to be a no fault state which is probably good. You can get one just based on irreconcilable differences and don't have to prove adultery.

Your first step should probably be to call the clerk at divorce court and ask him/her the proceedures. It's what I did and I got a lot of good infomation from them.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:56 AM

now my hunny has ahad a letter form the courts asking for a fee of $320.00 and if he cant pay they want her to.he's filled out the fee waiver form but can this be denied.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:02 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,945 Times in 1,338 Posts
Default Divorce question for my fiance's Bunkie

Ok, my fiance wanted me to ask this question for his bunkie, since we have not been through a divorce, so him & I don't know the answer.

The question is:

His bunkie filed for divorce through the local courts sometime in May 2007. He said he also filed a separate piece of paper something about the final judgement. Something about pushing it through ASAP???? I looked up info for him on the California courts website, and it basically gave the typical info. However, he has not heard back from the courts yet, with his final judgement paper showing he is now divorced. It has now been approx. 8-9 months or so.

He wants to know if anyone has a man out there that went through a divorce while incarcerated (in California) and how long did it take to get his paperwork, etc? Notifying him that he is now divorced?

He also said for me to tell all of you that reply, thank you in advance!
Old 03-04-2008, 11:03 AM

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior'sQueen
Ok, my fiance wanted me to ask this question for his bunkie, since we have not been through a divorce, so him & I don't know the answer.

The question is:

His bunkie filed for divorce through the local courts sometime in May 2007. He said he also filed a separate piece of paper something about the final judgement. Something about pushing it through ASAP???? I looked up info for him on the California courts website, and it basically gave the typical info. However, he has not heard back from the courts yet, with his final judgement paper showing he is now divorced. It has now been approx. 8-9 months or so.

He wants to know if anyone has a man out there that went through a divorce while incarcerated (in California) and how long did it take to get his paperwork, etc? Notifying him that he is now divorced?

He also said for me to tell all of you that reply, thank you in advance!
He needs to check with the local courts and see what is th problem with his case. Usally it is one of these items if not all Service on the Respondent, Disclosure issues, Here is a link about final judgement also from Califorina self help there are steps to follow here also any step missed hurts. http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/selfhelp/family/divorce/step5.htm#judgment
Read or send him each step (if you want) Ther is more to it then just filing a final judgement paper. If you have nay othre questions let me know. For this matter to be done in May 07 something should have already been said by the courts One other question Any children involved in this marriage? If ther is could be another factor