Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation > Drug & Alcohol Testimonies and Success Stories
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Drug & Alcohol Testimonies and Success Stories Information, inspiration, and resources for addiction.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:15 PM
Donation Award 

Default Cold medication and recovering addicts

Hi all...can you give me a little advice? Our friend is home and has been clean/dry for over a year and is coming down with a doozy of a cold. Needless to say, I don't want to give him anything that will mess with his sobriety or his potential UA's. Do you have any suggestions for what he can take that will be okay for him?

Thanks tons....
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2008, 01:06 PM

Thanked 1,060 Times in 510 Posts

Try the health food store. Hot lemon and honey (leave out the alcohol that people usually put in it). Vitamin C and echinecea (sp). Nyquil has or did have the last I checked 19% alcohol. I assume many of the over the counter medicines will be the same. Hopefully it doesn't last too long for him.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:49 PM

No medicines with alcohol. It's not worth it. A cold will pass and you will save the money for medicine that doesn't really do much.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:55 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,014 Times in 7,141 Posts

Dayquil is a NO-NO for anyone with a history of stimulant use (Speed, coke, etc)... I guess I'd been clean about a year (the first time) when I caught an awful cold in the middle of a big push at work- I used Dayquil and had a couple of cups of coffee- the effects were so EXACTLY the same as meth that I found myself truly playing back every minute of the day, thinking I HAD screwed up and used without even thinking about it- I had not, but it sure felt like it.... years later, I told the story at an NA meeting and got a chorus of "Me, too" and "I thought I'd lost my mind" in response.

There are a number of herbal teas out there that are both "sobriety safe" and OK for UA- I like Celestial Seasonings "Complete Care" and one called "Breathe Easy", that I can't recall the brand on... Slippery elm lozenges are really, really nice on a raw throat and good ol' Vicks Vapor Rub is still just as much a godsend as when grandma rubbed it on your chest... and asprin or ibuprophin, not just for the aches but also to reduce the swelling in the mucus membranes- trust me, it makes a big difference.

In memory of Mrs. Dragoness

Speak your mind-
Even if your voice shakes

Specializing in pest control- Site Exterminator.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:04 PM
Donation Award 

Thank you soooo much. He's up in bed right now and just simply suffering. How about Delsym cough medicine? His cough is terrible and I'd love to get him something, as long as it's okay.

You know, I've been all over the web looking for info and I just knew you guys would be able to help. This place is such a godsend and even though he's home, I can't imagine not checking back in here on a regular basis. I truly feel as if I have some wonderful friends on this site and I appreciate every one of you.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:12 PM
Donation Award 

You can ask the pharmacist. Or even call the AA hotline. It is hard when they are sick cause things have things in it that we would never know to trigger things.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,556 Times in 11,005 Posts

You can use eucalyptus oil in a vaporizer - one of my favorites! I add camphor oil, too, usually along with lavender or cinnamon. All in all, it is very cleansing for the lungs.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:59 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,014 Times in 7,141 Posts

Oh!How could I forget- Ginger tea with honey... Grate about 2 teaspoons of fresh ginger root, let that steep about 5 minutes, strain and add honey (lemon, too, if you want)

A tea made of thyme tastes a bit strong, but is an EXCELLENT expectorant... I like it brewed together with mint or Tension Tamer, with rather a lot of honey added- don't drink more than 2 cups per day or it can cause diarrhea.

In memory of Mrs. Dragoness

Speak your mind-
Even if your voice shakes

Specializing in pest control- Site Exterminator.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:51 AM

Delsym contains DMX (dextromethorphan), that's a big no-no for addicts. It can be abused and causes a 'high'. It's one of the ingrediants used for robo-tripping.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Donation Award 

You guys are so helpful...thank you!!! I asked the pharmacist about Delsym and he said the same thing, thank goodness. What is robo tripping? The ginger tea sounds yummy, I think I'll make some tonight for me too. It's simply amazing all of the drugs that they put in cold medicines that we would never expect. I knew Nyquil was a no-no, but all the others are so bad too. Thanks for everything.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:21 PM

I don't like giving how-to's, but you can do a Google search. Along with pharm parties it's one of those things that is popular with kids these days.