Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation > Drug & Alcohol Testimonies and Success Stories
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Drug & Alcohol Testimonies and Success Stories Information, inspiration, and resources for addiction.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:06 PM

Default Higher Power?

I've been sober for a lonnggg week and 2 days. I've been going to a lot of meetings, but I'm having trouble taking on this higher power. I'm really anti-religous and I just can't understand this spirtuality side of the program. But I know if I don't get it I'll end up right back were I was and I really don't want to go there.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2007, 01:12 AM
I Believe........

Knowing the Lord and being "religious" are two different things. All you have to do is ask, and He will help you. Just find a quiet place and talk to God. He will take you just as you are, where you are. He didn't come for the righteous, He came for us, the sinners. The best way I can describe it is that the bible tells us "God is love." So think about that feeling of love ~ when it is pure and good, unconditional ~ the way a child loves a mom, a grandparent, something like that ~ that feeling, that power, is God.

Our live's don't always happen as we plan, but if we give ourselves to God, He will make all things work for good in His time, according to His plan. He will help you and guide you through sobriety, and keep you strong.

So be quiet, be still and just talk to Him. Ask for help. Believe. There is nothing you can do that will keep Him from loving you ~ all you have to do is ask.

You don't have to change a thing ~ right now, just ask ~ He will be there. He has always been there waiting for you.

I am one that struggles everyday with my faith, but God has always delivered. If I can help, let me know. Finding fellowship will help you grow in faith and strength.

Congratulations on your sobriety and God Bless you.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:10 AM

Yes me too in the help offer. I've been clean since 98 and it was a long road. Religion and spirituality are indeed two different things. The good news is that God can help us even when our faith and belief are lacking. He is there regardless. That has been the problem and that is why you are looking now to a "higher power". Your efforts got you where you are now, let God take over and help you go where you need too.

I'd like to let you know my views on the "higher power" issue, but know I will get slammed with posts, so PM if you need to talk more.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:22 AM
*Stargazing*
Donation Award 

Thanked 12,599 Times in 5,648 Posts

Bobbysbaby! where is your faith!? why would you be afraid of being "slammed"?
My friends, relax! it took me a few years to get it through my thick head, but God, and a Higher Power are two different things. i thought they were the same. i thought religion and spirituality were the same. nope. im sure you have heard this, religion is for people who are afraid of going to hell. spirituality is for people who have been there.
God gave us a brain to use...most of us dont use it and are scared to death to even ask questions. if you never ask questions, how do u expect to get answers?
a Higher Power is simply acknowleging there is something bigger than you that will restore you to sanity. for me that is the profram and the 12 steps. i believe that Bill W. was Divinely inspired by his Spiritual Experience, up until that happened there was no hope for alcoholics and addicts, we all pretty much died from our disease. today there are millions of us clean and sober because of Bill, and his simple tools, that being one alcholic/addict talking to another...simply giving away what was so freely given to him. no strings attached! just wanting to help your fellow man/woman. he gave the message to Dr.Bob, and the message went on, one person at a time, till it now has lit millionsofcandles.now thats a Higher Power!
God, is an Entity, so personal, that we all have to find Him/Her/It, in our own way and in your own understanding. I know there is a God today, because i have experienced God's Presense in my life. you've heard, "Be Still And Know I AM."? i have experienced that. it was so overwhelmingly Powerful that i could not mistake It. like the rest of the Universe, things are always Growing and Changing, and i'm sure my beliefs and perceptions will too.
It was only a few huindred years ago that people believed in all sorts of superstitions and rubbish and that's why there was no progress, the world was flat, man cant fly...look at us today... as they say, more will be reaveld, that's why, dont sweat why you are not getting "it" or you feel like you are not growing...
God's Universe Is Unfolding As It Should... and so shall You. and again, that's just my opinion. i would like to hear others.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:27 AM

OOH so well said Wendi, I am actually not afraid, just lazy and stressed this week and am a type A personality so I would "have to" answer all the posts!!

In any case, Wendi is so right, the MOST important thing is that you realize there is a force out there working in your favor! It's there for all who look for it !
Old 04-30-2007, 10:29 AM

Oh yes, congrats on the week and 2 days, I always told my recovery classes, stopping the drugs, alcohol or whatever will be the easiest thing you do (hindsight mind you) it is changing the small areas of your life that will be the hardest. It can be done.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:02 AM
*Stargazing*
Donation Award 

btw, i am 7 day's off of two guys who have been in my life, onefor 20 years, the other for 6 years. so, im right behind you on the lonnnnnnng week! YOU CAN DO IT!!
Old 04-30-2007, 01:28 PM
The Janitor Of God

Thanked 1,115 Times in 555 Posts

Take a look at your Big Book, especially the chapter "We Agnostics". There is no need to become active in a church or any particular faith to develop the concept of a "higher power" or to participate in AA. All that is necessary is that you accept the idea that there is something greater than yourself. Many people use their AA group(s) as a "higher power", especially at first. We all know there are things more powerful than we are--if you've had a drinking/drugging career, you're most likely plenty familiar with what the police and courts can do. Not that that's the sort of "higher power" most would care to dwell on.

AA will never demand that you believe in anything. All that is asked is an open mind, and a willingness to listen. If you're feeling pressured or forced to do or say anything in a meeting, please--try a different meeting. AA is a very flexible program and certainly not intended to be one size fits all. Some groups, however, have their own ideas about that. If you're not comfortable with one, you should have little trouble finding another.

If there is a "beginners' meeting" in your area or a meeting at a treatment center that is open, you might want to give those a try. You'll find that many are dealing with the same questions that you are. And no one is expected to become an "expert" overnight. Heck, I've been going to meetings on and off for 14 years and if I ever believe myself to be an expert on AA, I hope somebody will give me a sharp slap upside the head, because there ain't no such animal. There are as many ways to approach AA as there are members.

THIS NUT WON'T CRACK

Old 04-30-2007, 04:06 PM

Talking

congrats on your one week. the first is the longest!
I like what Davemoff said.
I too am in recovery, been sober 5 + years (this time around), sober 3 yrs then 3 yrs not... then came back in 2001. I had a terrible time with the "spirituality stuff". The really good solid members told me "dont sweat it right now". I am so grateful for that. If they would have told me that believing in anything right at that time was mandatory, I never would have made it.
Some people go back to their childhood beliefs, some dont. I did NOT. I have a set of new beliefs that work for me, that have developed slowly over time and they still are changing. Anybody can get this thing. There is no "God requirement". Just that we be willing to accept spiritual help...Big Book, pgs 24 and 25. So for me, I accept that there is something bigger than me #1, #2 I am not running the show, #3 If I want different results, I have to try different things to get em!
I believe that if a person wants to stay sober, they can and will, no matter what. If a person does not want to, they will not, no matter what. seems like we are (recovering folks) just built that way.
Keep on keepin on... and no matter what, dont drink or use, go to lots of meetings, work with others...I have an awesome life ~even when the stuff hits the fan~ because of my sobriety!
I am so glad you posted.
ssvm
Old 04-30-2007, 08:40 PM
The Janitor Of God

Really, the only thing AA will ever require of you to participate is to show up! As for anything you may hear, "take what you need and leave the rest".

THIS NUT WON'T CRACK

Old 05-01-2007, 08:52 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I read the chapter for the agnostic a couple of times already. The more that I think of it bobbysbaby was right in the fact that not drinking is much easier than changing your life and how you think.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:16 PM
Donation Award 

When my aunt was 1st sober her higher power was a door knob. I never really understood but she was sober up until the end.
Congrats on your week and 2 days!!!!
Old 05-01-2007, 09:29 PM

Yeah try making the group your higher power at first. Its isn't really all that serious at first. Most important don't "pick up". Your doing awesome a week and some days clean are a MIRACLE!

Go to lots of meetings believe we believe and take it one day at a time!
Old 05-01-2007, 09:44 PM
Banned

I know hard core atheists who are sober in the program. They went there to meet people who weren't using or drinking, and once they had those friends, it all fell into place.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:25 PM
*Stargazing*
Donation Award 

the "door knob" concept has always made me chuckle, but if that's what works, so beit. one idea i've always thought was pretty good is to jump up in the air...what happens? you land back on your feet because gravity is a power greater than you. i hope the responses you got helped, you got some pretty good one's from some pretty awesome folks. and yes, there are members who are atheists, but they stay sober.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,551 Times in 11,004 Posts

BigCarter - Congratulations!
If you need something to anchor on for a little while, then look outside - (even in Michigan) things are beginning to bloom and grow - snowdrops, daffodils, forsythia, maybe even cherry trees. . . little grape hyacinths, trout lillies...spring peepers. . .
It works for me.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:20 AM
Donation Award 

Default Thankyou!

Briansma,
Thankyou for your post here earlier. I am not an alcoholic or anything but my son will be leaving for prison in less than a week. Your post was a good reminder of God's love and something I need to remember. My faith has been tested through this ordeal and I am struggling. Would you be willing to repost your letter in the forum Parents of Children in Prison? It would be most welcome! Thanks again and bless you! Laurie in MN

"The tie which links mother and child is of such pure and immaculate strength as to be never violated." ~Washington Irving
Old 05-19-2007, 10:32 PM
The Janitor Of God

My brother uses a small lesson in outdoor education with children which may serve other purposes. Before he takes a group to see anything fragile or that might be tempting to small fingers, he takes everyone to a field of dandelions and has them each pick on, then look at it for awhile. Then he asks: "that was easy, wasn't it?" When everyone nods he says, "okay, can you put that flower back or make a new one?"

Of course no one can. At that point he tells them: "that's what I'd like you to think about while we're out on the trail--anyone can pick a flower, but we can't put them back afterwards."

So....take a few minutes and take a good look at a dandelion some time. You'll find that you're thinking about a "higher power" on some level, whether you are fully aware of it at the time or not.

THIS NUT WON'T CRACK

Old 06-12-2007, 04:28 AM
Banned

Default Being Accountable

Congat's. for your clean time.

In order to stay clean/sober, it is wise to be accountable to someone. If not God than maybe a sponsor or 12 step group.

For me personally, I find that God is visible in many people, so I make myself accountable to God first and then other women who are stable and level headed.

P.S. With Jesus it is not religion it is a relationship (there is a big big difference, religion is man made)
Old 06-12-2007, 04:35 PM
I Believe........

Amen, LuvinMike, great way to put it. Big Carter, I hope you are still there and still succeeding one day at a time.

Blessings!
Old 09-23-2007, 07:04 PM
replanted cheesehead

I came my closest to slipping the other day, and it involved a major disagreement with a pastor. Talk about Higher Power (lol)!!!! No, seriously, what let me to kick start my sobriety (and I'm pretty brand new at this & so is my BF who is home now) was that I had my final morning-after anxiety bout (was starting to happen repeatedly after I drank). I handed it all over to God and things were looking positive from there.

Some people believe alcoholism and other dieases are "all in the head" and can be conquered by just being a strong person, mentally speaking.