Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation > Drug & Alcohol Testimonies and Success Stories
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Drug & Alcohol Testimonies and Success Stories Information, inspiration, and resources for addiction.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:34 PM

Default Realistic Recovery???

Has anybody ever heard of this? My hubby called me tonight and told me a little about this so called program called "Realistic Recovery System"??? He was trying to compare it to AA or NA. I have never heard of this before and was wondering if anybody could help me out with this. I am interested to know if such a group exists? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2007, 11:43 PM
The Janitor Of God

Thanked 1,115 Times in 555 Posts

Do you perhaps mean "Rational Recovery"? It is a program developed by psychologist Jack Trimpey which cuts all of the frills out of the AA program and just sticks to the facts. RR requires no meetings (though they do have meetings--which are not at all like AA meetings), no steps, no "higher power". One can learn the better part of the program from literature they used to send out for free, and learn all of it from any one of Jack Trimpey's books (RR has a web site with lots of info--just look for "Rational Recovery" on a search engine). And one can practice the Rational Recovery program alone--there is no need to find a group.

Expect to find the tone a bit shrill and no-nonsense, but there is much useful information there. I use a certain number of Rational Recovery principles myself, and with good results. It does not prevent anyone from participating in any other program they may wish, and provides an alternative for those who have tried AA again and again and simply found no help.

It's worth looking into--the worst you'll be out is the cost of a book, and as best I can recall, they're not terribly expensive.

THIS NUT WON'T CRACK

Old 07-12-2007, 08:22 PM

That is what it is called. Thank you for the info. I was just curious about it because I had never heard of it.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:43 PM
The Janitor Of God

Thanked 1,115 Times in 555 Posts

It's worth looking into. Good luck to you both.

THIS NUT WON'T CRACK

Old 07-26-2007, 05:29 AM
traci

ummm no!!
Old 08-15-2007, 02:11 AM
Banned

Default Smart Recovery

When I was in rehab., alittle over a year ago they called it "Smart" Recovery as well.