Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > WELCOME TO PTO > Introduce Yourself!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Introduce Yourself! Please stop by and introduce yourself and share your story with others in the Prison Talk Online community!

Old 01-03-2018, 03:05 AM

Default Intro--JHK2017 from Illinois

Okay, so my loved one is still in reception status and hasn't been assigned a home prison yet. As far as the IDOC website says, he shouldn't have been allowed phone calls for 60 days, but, somehow, he was able to call me after only 8 days in R&C, and then again a few days later. So, it seems he could call twice a month. But, he didn't call yesterday. I figured maybe the 1st was holiday and maybe he couldn't call. Now, I'm fretting that IDOC might've realized their "error" in giving him phone calls too early and has revoked them.

Also - He has court, or it appears to be so on judici.com , and I'd like to go, but I'm afraid they either won't have him appear or won't let me in. The courthouse is public domain, isn't it? They shouldn't be allowed to refuse me as a member of the public, entry to the courthouse or any public proceedings therein, right?

If he did have calls and didn't call me, why didn't he? We've been writing each other like crazy, and I know he cares, and there's no way he gave up so soon. Should I try to go see him? Even tho I know I won't get to talk to him or touch him or anything.. just for us to be able to look at each other for a moment, just to be able to breathe the same air for a moment, just to be able to lay eyes on him and see that he's really alive and okay... to be able to give him just one smile to carry us over until I can visit him.... Should I go? Should I try? Does anyone know how this works?

The court hearing is a criminal case, not a family court matter, so I should be allowed in, right? I'm so nervous.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2018, 07:49 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,509 Times in 11,447 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. The decision to go to his court hearing is up to you, but try to be prepared if you don't get to see him. Once you are able to talk on the phone, he can explain what has happened since he arrived in the processing prison. In federal prison, some counselors would allow phone calls before we were activated on the inmate phone system.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:36 PM

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 3,252 Times in 1,545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHKH2017 View Post
Okay, so my loved one is still in reception status and hasn't been assigned a home prison yet. As far as the IDOC website says, he shouldn't have been allowed phone calls for 60 days, but, somehow, he was able to call me after only 8 days in R&C, and then again a few days later. So, it seems he could call twice a month. But, he didn't call yesterday. I figured maybe the 1st was holiday and maybe he couldn't call. Now, I'm fretting that IDOC might've realized their "error" in giving him phone calls too early and has revoked them.

Also - He has court, or it appears to be so on judici.com , and I'd like to go, but I'm afraid they either won't have him appear or won't let me in. The courthouse is public domain, isn't it? They shouldn't be allowed to refuse me as a member of the public, entry to the courthouse or any public proceedings therein, right?

If he did have calls and didn't call me, why didn't he? We've been writing each other like crazy, and I know he cares, and there's no way he gave up so soon. Should I try to go see him? Even tho I know I won't get to talk to him or touch him or anything.. just for us to be able to look at each other for a moment, just to be able to breathe the same air for a moment, just to be able to lay eyes on him and see that he's really alive and okay... to be able to give him just one smile to carry us over until I can visit him.... Should I go? Should I try? Does anyone know how this works?

The court hearing is a criminal case, not a family court matter, so I should be allowed in, right? I'm so nervous.
Hey there! Iíll try to help a bit!

Iím not sure why he was able to call you..maybe things have changed..? My fiancť there back in 2012 and spent 12 days at North Reception Center (located in Stateville).

They wouldnít deny you entry to go to the trial. The first and only time I went was when he got sentenced, and they didnít ask me anything or talk to me..I just got patted down and was allowed in. To them, i was just another face.

As far as asking about seeing him, were you referring to going to court or actually visiting? For visiting, I wouldnít try unless he specifically told you that you can go. When they are in reception, itís so stringent on what they can and canít do, that itd be a waste of your time. If youíre referring to sitting in for his case, thatís totally up to you. It was weird seeing him shackled up and he barely looked at me..he was probably afraid Iíd be bawling lol. I teared up a little, but I was happy when it was over. Also, it was so casual for us and there were other inmates who were getting sentenced at the time too, it was one after the other.

This was just sentencing though, so that could explain why it was so easy. My fiancť took a plea deal and therefore didnít go through a trial. As you can tell, Iím from Illinois too, so I know a little bit about how things might go. Feel free to reach out to me anytime!

I hope this helped you relax a bit..I promise you guys will get through it =)

GO CUBS GO!!!!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blah8705 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-03-2018), patchouli (01-03-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 08:40 PM

My son has been incarcerated since 2013. I went to court each time and there were many people there. No pat down, no search, no nothing. However, this was a very rural area.

He was at Graham R&C for 60 days and we were not allowed to visit during this time. However, I know that the rules have changed recently and if they are in R&C for more than 30 days they can have visits. Remains very strict though as Blah reports.
The Following User Says Thank You to trauma4us For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-04-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHKH2017 View Post

Hi, I know this is a month old, and I am new to this to.. My guy is two months in.. He had been in before so gave me the low down of what was going to happen.. but things moved a lot quicker then he ever thought that they would.. while it was nice since we didn't have to wait all the time we thought before we got to speak.. but if you would like to talk at all or have any questions please message me I will be glad to help in anyway I can.. I know I was beside myself, and so wished I had found this site sooner so much info on here.

The Following User Says Thank You to Andy&Me For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-15-2018)