Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > Canadian Prison & Criminal Justice Topics > Canada Prisons & Jails Visitation, Phones, Packages & mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Canada Prisons & Jails Visitation, Phones, Packages & mail This forum deals with all the ins and outs of the Canadian Prison and Criminal Justice System, including Phones, Mail, Packages, and visitation.

Old 08-18-2017, 01:55 PM

Smile Phone Calls at Toronto East Detention Centre

Hi everyone!! Hope you are all well!

I am brand spanking new to this forum and have searched through 60+ pages of the forum, but couldn't find an answer so here I am. My boyfriend is currently in Toronto East Detention Centre. He has been there for a week. I set up a number for him to call me with Canada Relink but sent the number in a letter. I also sent him my home phone number. I know that might take a bit before it reaches him, but I wanted to know if at correctional facilities it is the same as federal and he has to wait for my number to be approved. I called the facility to ask, but they were quite vague and said they had nothing to do with the phone calls so I was wondering if anyone here could offer a more concrete answer?

Thanks so much!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asher_8793 View Post
Hi everyone!! Hope you are all well!

I am brand spanking new to this forum and have searched through 60+ pages of the forum, but couldn't find an answer so here I am. My boyfriend is currently in Toronto East Detention Centre. He has been there for a week. I set up a number for him to call me with Canada Relink but sent the number in a letter. I also sent him my home phone number. I know that might take a bit before it reaches him, but I wanted to know if at correctional facilities it is the same as federal and he has to wait for my number to be approved. I called the facility to ask, but they were quite vague and said they had nothing to do with the phone calls so I was wondering if anyone here could offer a more concrete answer?

Thanks so much!!!
Hey my boyfriend was there for a couple days on route to his assessment center and he told me it's extremely hard to get the phones because they're so busy. The guys that have been there for a long time are basically in charge of the phones it sounded like. Also the mailing is SO slow it takes a week or more for them to even recieve it. Stay patient and you'll hear from him soon hopefully!
The Following User Says Thank You to Abby1234 For This Useful Post:
asher_8793 (08-18-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 03:22 PM
OnparoleinTO

Hi - phones in provincial are entirely different from federal. You don't need any approvals but all calls are collect and expensive. Also, from provincial jails you cannot call cell phones and you may have trouble with landlines that are VOIP or anything of that sort. You can't leave messages and you can't do 3 way calls. However as Abby said, on many provincial ranges a few guys run the phones and control access. Another way in which federal is much better.
The Following User Says Thank You to onparoleinTO For This Useful Post:
asher_8793 (08-18-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby1234 View Post
Hey my boyfriend was there for a couple days on route to his assessment center and he told me it's extremely hard to get the phones because they're so busy. The guys that have been there for a long time are basically in charge of the phones it sounded like. Also the mailing is SO slow it takes a week or more for them to even recieve it. Stay patient and you'll hear from him soon hopefully!
Abby, thank you so very much!! I will let you know as soon as I get a reply!
Old 08-18-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onparoleinTO View Post
Hi - phones in provincial are entirely different from federal. You don't need any approvals but all calls are collect and expensive. Also, from provincial jails you cannot call cell phones and you may have trouble with landlines that are VOIP or anything of that sort. You can't leave messages and you can't do 3 way calls. However as Abby said, on many provincial ranges a few guys run the phones and control access. Another way in which federal is much better.

Thank you so much onparoleinTO! I knew the cell phones, landlines, messages and three way calls bit from my research. However, that is why I set up the Canada Relink number so when he calls it it will be directed to my cell phone, like a few other people in the forum have mentioned -- most of them are the ones I got the idea from haha! I hate that there are people there that "run" the phones. I hope to hear from him soon. His mom got a call so fingers crossed for me!!
Old 08-18-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asher_8793 View Post
Abby, thank you so very much!! I will let you know as soon as I get a reply!
No problem! I know the struggle it's the worst waiting to hear from them and not getting that call . It should be soon! It took my boyfriend 10 days and he got someone to three way call because he couldn't get on the phones. I know you're not supposed too... Also I have a "trapline" for my cell and it's worked perfectly for every location he's been at for 7 months so there shouldn't be a problem with yours!
The Following User Says Thank You to Abby1234 For This Useful Post:
asher_8793 (08-18-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby1234 View Post
No problem! I know the struggle it's the worst waiting to hear from them and not getting that call . It should be soon! It took my boyfriend 10 days and he got someone to three way call because he couldn't get on the phones. I know you're not supposed too... Also I have a "trapline" for my cell and it's worked perfectly for every location he's been at for 7 months so there shouldn't be a problem with yours!
It has been 9 days so far, so I am just getting impatient. You are my angel right now. Thank you so much!!! <3
The Following User Says Thank You to asher_8793 For This Useful Post:
Abby1234 (08-18-2017)
Old 09-17-2017, 05:24 PM

Anyone ever have problems with calls not coming through? My man has called me almost everyday the past week he's been in. However today he called his parents and said he tried calling me twice but nothing. I never heard the phone ring, and nothing on caller ID. I'm so worried and confused.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:47 PM

They were locked down in the evening as you probably already know -- if he doesn't call in the evening that is usually why sadly -- which I have been making complaints about. What range is he in maybe our boyfriends know each other?
Old 12-26-2017, 07:58 PM

Hi all- first I hope you all had a very merry Christmas. As difficult as it was without our loved ones. My husband went in last month and is at the Toronto East Detention Centre. He’s mostly called regularly although not every day. But during this holiday he’s barely called leaving me frantic to go visit him. My question is - is it difficult to get to the phones at this time ie during the holidays? And if he was able to call before why not now during this week? How often do you receive a call from your loved one?

Thanks so much for any help you can give. It’s such a struggle not hearing from them at this time.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sm2010 View Post
Hi all- first I hope you all had a very merry Christmas. As difficult as it was without our loved ones. My husband went in last month and is at the Toronto East Detention Centre. Heís mostly called regularly although not every day. But during this holiday heís barely called leaving me frantic to go visit him. My question is - is it difficult to get to the phones at this time ie during the holidays? And if he was able to call before why not now during this week? How often do you receive a call from your loved one?

Thanks so much for any help you can give. Itís such a struggle not hearing from them at this time.
Hi Sm2010!! Hope you had a Merry Christmas as well, of course considering we are not with ALL of our loved ones. To answer some of your questions, yes, this week it was a bit harder for them to get to the phones. Only because when the wind blows at Toronto East, they get locked down. I know for a fact they were locked down Thursday evening and then all day Friday. Saturday they were not so it was a bit like Cabin fever and every one was clamouring for the phones when they got out that morning. On Christmas Day, they were surprisingly not locked down, but no visits. He will be calling you soon, I am sure. In the mean time, visit and keep busy by writing him when you don't talk on the phone or just going out. I know the feeling of anxiously waiting by the phone. It is painful. My boyfriend has been in TED for four months, and we have done all the patterns/trial and errors. I hear from my boyfriend every day, and only recently he has allowed me to visit, but we always plan ahead when I would hear from him and we accounted for whether or not they will be locked down or I had work. For example, we used to do every other day, or he would say he will call me on a certain day during this time if they are not locked down so I knew when exactly to wait and when not too. We also did every other day if he was running out of things to talk about.

This week like you though, I did not hear from him much, so we knew to start visits. It also depends on the range he is in and identifying who uses the phones the most, and when they are occupied at what times. My boyfriend knows who to bud in case they take long or who hogs the phones. Also, less people are on the phones in the morning! It gets easier, I promise. The first month though and especially during the holidays, it is gut-wrenching. It has been for me too, so you are not alone. But I hope this gives you peace of mind!! Let me know if you have any more questions! Good luck! And I hope he calls tomorrow!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to asher_8793 For This Useful Post:
Sm2010 (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 04:50 PM

Wink

Thank you asher_8793! Your response is truly very helpful at this time. Absolutely insightful. He hasnít called yet but I think there have been many lockdowns in the evenings for the past week in addition to phones being tied up during the day. May I ask when did you hear from him this week? My husband is really timid - definitely the type to allow others to use the phone first ;( I donít think thatís good for me though. I heard from a friend whose husband is also at the TED that lockdowns are more frequent during the holidays with staff taking a lot of time off.

You are my light at this time. Thanks so much
Old 12-27-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Thank you asher_8793! Your response is truly very helpful at this time. Absolutely insightful. He hasnít called yet but I think there have been many lockdowns in the evenings for the past week in addition to phones being tied up during the day. May I ask when did you hear from him this week? My husband is really timid - definitely the type to allow others to use the phone first ;( I donít think thatís good for me though. I heard from a friend whose husband is also at the TED that lockdowns are more frequent during the holidays with staff taking a lot of time off.

You are my light at this time. Thanks so much
I am so glad I was able to provide even an ounce of comfort! It is really difficult to be the one going through the sentence with your significant other, even worse, when you can't TALK to them!! Yes, visits were cancelled today too, so I think they were also locked down today. I heard from him yesterday. Yes, if he is timid, it can be hard to gain your voice, BUT, and I hope not, if he is there longer he will be OK and will gain access faster. They are frequent at TED all the time! It is the absolute worse! And the holidays they are a bigger excuse for the staff to not care. But they should get out very soon! I have been reporting all the lockdowns to John Howard as much as possible. Such a helpless feeling!!!
Old 12-28-2017, 08:18 AM

Unhappy

Thanks so much asher_8793. You have provided me with some conform for sure!

FYI visits are cancelled today. The first woman said it was due to the frigid weather conditions but when I called again another woman said she was not sure why they were cancelled.

Do you happen to know whether visit cancellations correlate with lockdowns?

I have no idea. But haven't heard from him yet. I think that lockdowns during the holidays are more frequent. I'm with you on reporting these to the John Howard Society. There is also a multimillion dollar class action lawsuit launched against the Ontario government on this. Check Kosky Minsky's website.

This is all torturous for sure...and not knowing if and when he will call is even worse. He called frequently before the holidays but now just silent.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Thanks so much asher_8793. You have provided me with some conform for sure!

FYI visits are cancelled today. The first woman said it was due to the frigid weather conditions but when I called again another woman said she was not sure why they were cancelled.

Do you happen to know whether visit cancellations correlate with lockdowns?

I have no idea. But haven't heard from him yet. I think that lockdowns during the holidays are more frequent. I'm with you on reporting these to the John Howard Society. There is also a multimillion dollar class action lawsuit launched against the Ontario government on this. Check Kosky Minsky's website.

This is all torturous for sure...and not knowing if and when he will call is even worse. He called frequently before the holidays but now just silent.
Yes, I knew this. My boyfriend's range got out in the morning yesterday and today so he was able to call me this morning. To answer your question, some times it does correlate with the lockdowns, but some times not. It generally just depends on the staff for the day and their level of willingness to do anything.

Yes, like I said above, holidays are more frequent, but there was a period a few months back where they were locked down the entire week because of a stabbing and lost keys, so that is when I started my reports. Yes, I know about the lawsuit, some of the men were asked to sign if they wanted to a few weeks back. Like I said, keep busy, I have been where you are, you really have to when he does not call. My boyfriend told me this morning the lockdowns may continue this way until New Years and then it will go back to normal. If I were you, expect a call next week and if you hear from him before that, you can be surprised.

I private messaged you so we can continue talking there.