Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > World Prison News
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

World Prison News Post info (IF it doesn't belong in another PTO forum) about the prison system, prisoner support, criminal justice, etc., that you learn firsthand, through the media, from an inmate, or any other source. News can be local, state, Federal, or int'l.

Old 12-14-2017, 05:36 PM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 3,304 Times in 2,334 Posts
Default Jail Policies Restrict Legal Representation in North Carolina

Jail Policies Restrict Legal Representation in North Carolina

"Public defenders in North Carolina’s most populous county say recent jail reforms have serious effects on legal representation. They say formal policy changes to phone calls and in-person visitation have rendered communication with incarcerated clients — the majority of whom have not been convicted of a crime — more difficult, and impeded relatives and attorneys’ ability to build the strongest cases possible.

The trend began unexpectedly in October 2016, when the Mecklenburg County Sheriff’s Office put heavy restrictions on who could enter the two jails it oversees. "

https://injusticetoday.com/jail-poli...a-d009e5a3e7f6
Old 12-14-2017, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,365 Times in 10,933 Posts

What a dreary story!
Old 12-14-2017, 09:33 PM

Thanked 11,003 Times in 5,968 Posts

The family should not have been a conduit given that there is ZERO privilege that would have attached to those communications. The attorney using family is jeopardizing FAR too much.

I don't see an issue with phones. If the attorney can schedule time in their calendar to PLACE a call, they can be available to RECEIVE a call. While my work is a little different, I can count on one hand and have fingers left over for the number of times I used the TDCJ procedures to schedule a call. Conversely, I probably field ten to twenty calls a week from my parole clients...at 20 minutes a whack and some of the calls running through two cycles.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:22 AM

Thanked 5,846 Times in 3,051 Posts

I never had an attorney call my husband in the multiple years he was in Jails, prisons, hospitals. He always called them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (12-26-2017), Sarianna (12-26-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
The family should not have been a conduit given that there is ZERO privilege that would have attached to those communications. The attorney using family is jeopardizing FAR too much.

I don't see an issue with phones. If the attorney can schedule time in their calendar to PLACE a call, they can be available to RECEIVE a call. While my work is a little different, I can count on one hand and have fingers left over for the number of times I used the TDCJ procedures to schedule a call. Conversely, I probably field ten to twenty calls a week from my parole clients...at 20 minutes a whack and some of the calls running through two cycles.
In the jail I stayed at my attorney never once accepted my phone calls. I was never able to see him except for once or twice, and only for a few minutes after I waited my turn in line behind a few other inmates. I had guessed he refused my calls because they were collect. That was the only way I could contact him.

When it came time for court to accept a plea, he had given my case over to someone else without telling me, and I met my new attorney for the first time when I was about to take the plea deal. I didn't have any time to talk with him, and in the plea agreement, which I didn't have time to read, in the section where you're supposed to explain the charges your pleading too, he had scribbled in, "As alleged". It was on that day, that I finally got a full understanding of what I'd been charged with, and it was all because my attorney refused to accept calls from his clients. It wasn't just me, either. This kind of behaviour, I found out, is an epidemic in that particular county.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:14 PM

Thanked 11,003 Times in 5,968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdj View Post
In the jail I stayed at my attorney never once accepted my phone calls. I was never able to see him except for once or twice, and only for a few minutes after I waited my turn in line behind a few other inmates. I had guessed he refused my calls because they were collect. That was the only way I could contact him.

When it came time for court to accept a plea, he had given my case over to someone else without telling me, and I met my new attorney for the first time when I was about to take the plea deal. I didn't have any time to talk with him, and in the plea agreement, which I didn't have time to read, in the section where you're supposed to explain the charges your pleading too, he had scribbled in, "As alleged". It was on that day, that I finally got a full understanding of what I'd been charged with, and it was all because my attorney refused to accept calls from his clients. It wasn't just me, either. This kind of behaviour, I found out, is an epidemic in that particular county.
And NOTHING in the policy that forms the basis for this thread would change the fact that you had an attorney that was piss-poor at communication.

Bottom line is that the claimed change here is NOT the end of the earth some make it out to be...