Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > VIRGINIA > Virginia Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Virginia Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Virginia Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc

View Poll Results: How do you rate best/worst VADOC prisons as opinions?
Augusta 2 4.65%
Bland 0 0%
Coffeewood 2 4.65%
Dillwyn 0 0%
Green Rock 3 6.98%
Greensville 3 6.98%
James River 2 4.65%
Keen Mountain 2 4.65%
Lunenburg 2 4.65%
Mecklenburg 3 6.98%
Pocahontas 2 4.65%
Powhatan 2 4.65%
Red Onion 6 13.95%
Sussex 1 State 4 9.30%
Sussex 2 State 1 2.33%
Virginia Correctional Center for Women 2 4.65%
Wallens Ridge 3 6.98%
Baskerville 0 0%
Fluvanna 3 6.98%
Deerfield 1 2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-23-2008, 12:42 PM

Default Rating on Best/Worst Prisons in Virginia

Hello, everyone. I would like to ask everyone on polls/opinion on how you rate best/worst prisons in Virginia. Like for example, From what I understand, Greensville Correctional is most tough prison. Sussex 1 and 2 prisons are dangerous and tough prison. From what I understand, Coffeewood is nicest. I welcome anyone who correct me or criticize me if I am wrong. You can put up poll picture on how you rate these VA prisons based on visitation, environment, how CO treat visitors and etc. I look forward to read this. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2008, 01:07 PM

Default Polls/Opinions

How do you rate:

Greensville

Dillwyn

Green Rock

Coffeewood

Powhatan

Buckingham

Bland

Augusta

Brunswick

Haynesville

James River

Keen Mountain

Lawrenceville

Lunenburg

Mecklenburg

Pocahontas State

Red Onion

Sussex 1 State

Sussex 2 State

Virginia Correctional Center for Women

Fluvanna Correctional Center (Women)

Wallens Ridge

Deep Meadow

Deerfield

Brunswick

Indian Creek

Baskerville

St. Brides
Old 12-23-2008, 01:48 PM
Always Doin' My Best

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 1,937 Times in 1,168 Posts

You have to weigh that some places are rougher simply because they are higher security level facilities and the people in there have serious crimes and/or have problems in other lower level facilities and get shipped up levels. Coffeewood has a good portion of guys within a year or so of getting out and they can smell their freedom and don't want to mess it up. Whereas someone with a life sentence and no hopes of coming out may be a little more difficult to deal with.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:15 PM

Default Thank You for Your Commentary Insight

Thanks DW for your good commentary. your commentary helps provide insight on this poll/opinions.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:34 PM
Goin' Down Swingin'

I'm confused. Is the poll asking for the "best" or the "worst"?????

Old 12-24-2008, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfighterva View Post
You have to weigh that some places are rougher simply because they are higher security level facilities and the people in there have serious crimes and/or have problems in other lower level facilities and get shipped up levels. Coffeewood has a good portion of guys within a year or so of getting out and they can smell their freedom and don't want to mess it up. Whereas someone with a life sentence and no hopes of coming out may be a little more difficult to deal with.

you are right about that.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:33 PM

My son is a level one in a level three been in about three years now. He says its not the ones in for life that you have to worry about. They feel that its their place to live cause they aren't going anywhere. So they basically want things to move smoothly without problems. I think he said the ones with middle of the way time you have to worry about.
The Following User Says Thank You to snowy6140 For This Useful Post:
alw (07-08-2010)
Old 01-13-2009, 11:59 AM
Goin' Down Swingin'

GREAT POINT! Most lifers are not the ones to act up. Its the young guys doing their first bid who don't take it that seriously....especially if they feel they 'got over' on the system a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy6140 View Post
My son is a level one in a level three been in about three years now. He says its not the ones in for life that you have to worry about. They feel that its their place to live cause they aren't going anywhere. So they basically want things to move smoothly without problems. I think he said the ones with middle of the way time you have to worry about.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:34 PM

You bet its the first timers. they are young and mouth off because they think they can got away with it on the street and think they are tuff but soon find out that they are not so tough. then everyone suffers because they lock down the whole pod

YOU NEVER KNOW HOW STRONG YOU ARE UNTIL BEING STRONG IS THE ONLY CHOICE YOU HAVE

Hebrews 13:3 - Remember those in prison as if you were their fellow prisoners, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harasubam For This Useful Post:
Mins (04-08-2010), tictoctictoc (01-13-2009)
Old 01-13-2009, 12:39 PM

oops forgot my oppinion my oppinion of the best may not be the oppinion of the inmate.I want clean nice safe looking were there is no trouble or any to get into. It makes me feel good to know not much goes on at Pocahontas HOWEVER it is run as if it were a level 5 camp the gaurds are always on the inmates for petty stuff and an inmate cant really just do his time. My husband hates that place,

YOU NEVER KNOW HOW STRONG YOU ARE UNTIL BEING STRONG IS THE ONLY CHOICE YOU HAVE

Hebrews 13:3 - Remember those in prison as if you were their fellow prisoners, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:20 PM
Goin' Down Swingin'

Yes...we can only go on what the inmates tell us. But in my opinion, ANY prison would be CRAPPY!!!! Just the simple idea of losing my freedom and having someone else telling me what to do 24 hrs a day would be pure torture. Of course, there are things that could potentially make the 'stay' more tolerable like cleanliness, programming, individual freedoms, respect, privacy, etc. My friend is in Lunenburg, and from what he tells me, its far from being the worst of the worst but its no walk in the park either. He doesn't talk alot about the conditions, but he has said there is very little violence (only some "scandals" usually involving employees here and there), and the guards will generally let you "do your time"...with a few exceptions. They have a fair warden, but she has changed up the policies since 'taking office' and those policies are not always favored by the inmates. BUT, the fact that she is FAIR and CONSISTENT goes a long way with the guys. If guys happen to get in a bad environment at other institutions, they need to catch a ride as quickly as possible. I've heard horrible things about Wallen's Ridge and Red Onion. Although newer facilities, one would have to consider the location from which the 'workforce' of those facilities is drawn, and then pit that against the population of guys that aren't from around there. There are ongoing allegations of physical abuse, mental abuse, racism, human rights violations, civil rights violations, etc....all of which are unacceptable. Period. but, all of which are probably happening to some degree at every institution. It happens in society all the time....how could be expect it not to happen in prisons?!?!

The Following User Says Thank You to tictoctictoc For This Useful Post:
coolram62 (03-05-2015)
Old 10-01-2009, 09:57 AM

Default VA Prison best/worst

as an ex-offender such poll should be seperated into 2 women's survey & men's.
Women have different needs, programs available than men,,,
course we all know that the kitchen food everywhere SUXS
Old 09-28-2010, 12:21 PM
Formerly GinaH

Thanked 4,839 Times in 1,825 Posts

Well R is at Cold Springs and it isn't on the poll. It is a lot better than what I have read about the other Prison's in VA are like.

"Sometimes you have to be apart from people you love, but that doesn't make you love them any less. Sometimes you love them more."
— Nicholas Sparks

Est. October 2006
Old 09-28-2010, 04:50 PM
msladylisa62

Hi ladies, Can anyone tell me about Bland? My man will be puting in for it this month and I would like to know what he is getting in too. I know you can visit both days and holidays. What is the visits like. I would apperacate all the info I can get.

Lisa
Old 09-28-2010, 10:56 PM
Donation Award 

The poll asks for best or worst but you can only pick one. Is it for the best or worst?
Onedaycloser13 (09-10-2011)
Old 11-13-2010, 12:53 AM

I dont have anyone in prison in VA, but I had to choose for James River because it seemed like a pretty decent prison when I was there and the guys that I talked to seemed to like it ok. I was delivering 40,000 pounds of frozen chicken and got stuck in there for 10 hours so I got to talk to a few of the guys in there.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:12 PM
i am his and he is mine

I have not been to many of these prisons so i can only rate the ones i have been to. Deep meadows was the worst.The guards were rude and just out right hard to deal with the visits were so so ....Bland is ok not to bad.......red onion has been my best experience the guards are awesome there and very helpful and understanding towards all visitors and the visits are very relaxed and easy going(for a cadre that is)...

Old 12-09-2011, 09:01 AM
vamom

My son is in Alabama for along time. He may transfer to Virginia. Would he lose any chance of early release due to over crowding? Would he still be able to take his correspondace college classes? He has to write papers and keep text books. Where in sww va is best? He is in a faith dorm at level 3 now. HELP
The Following User Says Thank You to rkered For This Useful Post:
tds_9 (08-20-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 09:06 PM
Till death do us part

Thanked 2,912 Times in 1,717 Posts

Can anyone tell me about sussex 1, from what I see on this poll it is probably one of the worst... My husband was just transferred there .

Holding it down since 2-23-2008[/color]
I love you more with every breath truly madly deeply do
Old 02-01-2013, 10:33 AM

my boo was there for a month and he did not like it they mistakingly moved him from a level 4 to a level 5 which he was supposed to go to a level 3 - i did not visit for i can not tell you about the visits

Old 09-04-2013, 03:52 AM

Default Just my experiences

As someone who has visited multiple family members in a few different facilities I can say that from my experience Nottoway has been the most pleasant for visiting. The gaurds that I've dealt with have always been respectful even when they've reminded us of proper contact (lol) and the inmates can accompany you to the vending machines and the inmate using the restroom didn't stop the visit. Also they are pretty good about allowing your visit to continue several hours unless there is a line outside. Greenrock didn't seem to awful when my brother was there though he wasn't allowed to get up from the table for any reason or the visit would end. The only facility that I really don't care for visiting is saint brides because they make it a pain but as long as my brothers in there I'll continue dealing with the aggrivation involved in seeing him.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:58 PM

My husband has been in Deep Meadow for a while and compared to Mecklenburg we both like it way better. It took a while for him to get use to not having a cell and instead share a "room" with allot of other people , but he has gotten over that part. Being in a lower level where people are at the end years of their time says tends to keep people in a different state of mind cause no one wants to go back to an upper level. I have 2 twin boys and have had no problems there they have games for them and coloring books. The staff has always been curtious and kind to me and my boys.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sauls esposa For This Useful Post:
K6770 (03-18-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 10:33 AM
Faith , Hope & Love

I came from Red Onion this weekend visiting my LO and its not as bad as people make it out to be , you cannot wear green , Burgundy and orange , they are not that strict with the clothes , just have to make sure you look conservative and respectful , although there was a lady whom was known already with a tight skirt above her knees and Tshirt that showed cleavage but anyways , I am not going to argue because its my first visit. The CO's were lovely , as long as you abide by the rules , its not actually as scary and rough as people try to make it out to be.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:12 PM

Can anyone tell me about Green Rock? I'm going for my first visit this weekend.