Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > Canadian Prison & Criminal Justice Topics > Canada Prisons & Jails Visitation, Phones, Packages & mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Canada Prisons & Jails Visitation, Phones, Packages & mail This forum deals with all the ins and outs of the Canadian Prison and Criminal Justice System, including Phones, Mail, Packages, and visitation.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:42 PM

Question Joyceville assessment - mail, calls and visitor process

Hi all,

I am hoping someone can provide info on how to get in communication with a loved one who has been sent to Joyceville, final destination by the courts to QC. No one has heard since the transfer and from what I have read that is cause the call-list needs to be created by the inmate and then processed and approved? How long does that process take and what then, is collect calls, can a cell number be called?

To send mail, is his name sufficient to the joyceville institution address inmates identifier numbers or anything that needs to be included? and can a cheque be sent I am guess not cash? Are they provided with stamps etc.

Lastly, does anyone know how long it takes to get approved for visitation and how long past that, it takes to get a visit booked. How many people can attend a visit and is there a limit in a week ie myself visit and then his dad wants to go, or is there wait period between visits? Also how do you know if you are approved?? and is a letter with Corrections Canada across the front or is it discrete

IS there a resource center that could provide any of this info? I have found the application for visitors but that is it.

Sorry for all the questions, I am trying to navigate this and so far there hasn't been anyone to ask. Any help you may provide pointing me in the right direction is truly appreciated.

Last edited by misskelv; 04-08-2013 at 09:43 PM.. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2013, 07:31 PM

Default Some answers by calling

So I did call Joyceville today to get some answers and not what I anticipated.. I got a decent amount of help and patience - I was a bit nervous that it would be a one question and the person would be harsh or in a rush but she was super pleasant. Unfortunately the news not sooo great in time of wait periods. I specifically asked for assessment and not general pop.
  • ~15 DAYS for calling card to be given and call list approved ( not 100% sure how this works.. ie cell phones, the amount they can call but more info. to come)
  • 6-8 weeks for visitors applications to be processed
    I was given a direct mailing address to save a few days of sorting
  • 2 - 4 months is the current avg. assessment time
  • Once approved 48 hours call ahead to book an appointment
    call the visitor desk prior to get more info on visiting ie # of visits, duration etc
  • Visits are from 1-3 pm on Mondays and Friday ( very convenient indeed)
  • During assessment it is glass visitations ( 2 - 4 months of glass....)
  • Cannot confirm anyone is there prior to being on call list - however send mail and it will be delivered
  • If not there, mail will be returned
  • There is no resource center that provides this info on CCS - ``they know``

I hope this helps a few people.. It is a challenge not to worry about the unknown and this has helped me know a little more.

First letter was mailed today and hopefully gets there by early next week.

Last edited by misskelv; 04-10-2013 at 07:33 PM..
Old 04-12-2013, 05:57 PM
FREE MY LOVE

Another tip , you can get a 613 number approve so it saves the guys money on their calling card. I use magic jack and my mother in law uses freephoneline.ca
It's pretty good because you can forward it to your cell or house.

Good luck!

My lips are the gun. My smile is the trigger. My kisses are the bullet. Label me a Killer.

#FreeMyLove
The Following User Says Thank You to Love.D For This Useful Post:
misskelv (04-14-2013)
Old 04-14-2013, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love.D View Post
Another tip , you can get a 613 number approve so it saves the guys money on their calling card. I use magic jack and my mother in law uses freephoneline.ca

Good luck!

Thanks Love D great info. Quick question they receive calling card allowing the approved numbers, do they have credit on it or is it collect-calling? I am guessing not collect if you are able to use magic jack or freephoneline.ca
Old 04-24-2013, 10:05 PM

It's credit, not collect for the calling card. They might have a day where money is due, so make sure you ask him to find out when that is.

You can send a check in, make sure it has his name on it. They will deposit it into his account for you. My guy says not to send cash because some times it goes "missing".

Also note that he is in a different institution than your loved one.

The Following User Says Thank You to lisamarie_258 For This Useful Post:
misskelv (05-02-2013)
Old 06-09-2013, 06:49 PM

Default Please help!

Hello all, hopefully someone can help me out here. Ok, so I reside in Toronto and I already have a local Toronto number (provided by Rogers internet) approved on my guys list in Kingston.
A few weeks later, my guy and me decided that it would be cheaper if I signed up with Vonage so that we could take advantage of their service that offers getting a local number from anywhere. So this past Friday, someone from the prison finally called to ask for my permission for my guy to call me. I did not get to speak with her- she left a msg saying that I can call back and leave an address if he does indeed have my permission. Also, she referred to me by my middle name which I guess he indicated when he sent that number in for approval. On my Vonage account- I have the name that he originally provided for them (which does not include that middle name) as well as my Toronto address. The problem I'm having is that I am not sure if whether or not they will approve it seeing as though my address and local kingston number do not match. I mean, im sure im not the only one with more than one phone line but my question is, will they see that as being a problem?
Another thing is that when they called me to approve my number the first time, they were the ones to confirm my address and so they already had that information and so im wondering if they have my address (that my guy has provided) associated with this number???
Someone please help asap as I want to call them back tomorrow so that this new number can be approved asap! Thanks in advance!

Tila
Old 08-08-2013, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tila2 View Post
Hello all, hopefully someone can help me out here. Ok, so I reside in Toronto and I already have a local Toronto number (provided by Rogers internet) approved on my guys list in Kingston.
A few weeks later, my guy and me decided that it would be cheaper if I signed up with Vonage so that we could take advantage of their service that offers getting a local number from anywhere. So this past Friday, someone from the prison finally called to ask for my permission for my guy to call me. I did not get to speak with her- she left a msg saying that I can call back and leave an address if he does indeed have my permission. Also, she referred to me by my middle name which I guess he indicated when he sent that number in for approval. On my Vonage account- I have the name that he originally provided for them (which does not include that middle name) as well as my Toronto address. The problem I'm having is that I am not sure if whether or not they will approve it seeing as though my address and local kingston number do not match. I mean, im sure im not the only one with more than one phone line but my question is, will they see that as being a problem?
Another thing is that when they called me to approve my number the first time, they were the ones to confirm my address and so they already had that information and so im wondering if they have my address (that my guy has provided) associated with this number???
Someone please help asap as I want to call them back tomorrow so that this new number can be approved asap! Thanks in advance!

Tila

Hi Tila,

Were you able to get approval? It shouldn't be a problem if your Kingston number does not match your TO address as it is registered to you. I highly suggest using freephoneline.ca to set up a FREE Kingston number and forward it to your cell in TO but this maybe to much hassle now but you can change your number in the future I would think (ppl change numbers). My number (Ilive in MTL) was approved at Joyceville and Pittsburgh (they messed up on my number in Joyceville, they called me and got approval but then put the wrong number in the system..don't ask). I hope you have been able to talk since you posted.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:58 PM

Could you share that direct address
Old 12-01-2013, 08:57 PM

I'm hoping that my telehop kingston number gets approved but I also have bell line...
Old 03-10-2015, 06:23 PM

Im hoping someone can help me. Hisband was transfered to joyceville, i recieved a call today to approve my number and confirm address ect. How long woll ot be before he can call home?
Old 03-21-2015, 10:29 PM

It took about a week for my BF to be able to call after I got the approval phone call.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:42 AM

Default Joyceville Assessment Unit Mailing Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskelv View Post
So I did call Joyceville today to get some answers and not what I anticipated.. I got a decent amount of help and patience - I was a bit nervous that it would be a one question and the person would be harsh or in a rush but she was super pleasant. Unfortunately the news not sooo great in time of wait periods. I specifically asked for assessment and not general pop.
  • ~15 DAYS for calling card to be given and call list approved ( not 100% sure how this works.. ie cell phones, the amount they can call but more info. to come)
  • 6-8 weeks for visitors applications to be processed
    I was given a direct mailing address to save a few days of sorting
  • 2 - 4 months is the current avg. assessment time
  • Once approved 48 hours call ahead to book an appointment
    call the visitor desk prior to get more info on visiting ie # of visits, duration etc
  • Visits are from 1-3 pm on Mondays and Friday ( very convenient indeed)
  • During assessment it is glass visitations ( 2 - 4 months of glass....)
  • Cannot confirm anyone is there prior to being on call list - however send mail and it will be delivered
  • If not there, mail will be returned
  • There is no resource center that provides this info on CCS - ``they know``

I hope this helps a few people.. It is a challenge not to worry about the unknown and this has helped me know a little more.

First letter was mailed today and hopefully gets there by early next week.
You indicated that you had a "direct mailing address" for Joyceville - would you please post it.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love.D View Post

Good luck!
How would I get a 613 number through freephoneline.ca?

Thank you.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:36 AM

Hey everyone I’m just curious on what I’m allowed to get shipped with my pen package any info would be nice I’m about to plea to a 5 year sentence and will be headed to joyceville then where ever I go from there no idea but would like to have my pen package ready before I plea thanks
Old 10-17-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrariboy613 View Post
Hey everyone Iím just curious on what Iím allowed to get shipped with my pen package any info would be nice Iím about to plea to a 5 year sentence and will be headed to joyceville then where ever I go from there no idea but would like to have my pen package ready before I plea thanks
Hello there, go to then CSC. I tried posting the link but I canít.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:53 PM
OnparoleinTO

Ferrariboy - the approved list is on the CSC site under 'commissioner's directives', the directive on 'personal possessions' - it's not easy to find. Let me know if you have problems finding it. The list there is not necessarily always entirely up to date but will give you a pretty good guide. It varies a little depending on whether you're in max, medium or min; guessing you are definitely not max but with 5 years could be medium.

I was there in 2015; if you have further questions PM me or post here.

I suggest you take some money with you when you are sentenced (cash) so you have it immediately to use; a cheque sent you can take weeks to process. Although I do know of one person who had his money disappear when he went into the provincial system (which is where you go immediately after sentencing before transfer to federal).
Old 10-19-2017, 10:26 PM

hey does anyone know whats the max amount you can send to an inmate each time or there isn't a maximum amount?
Old 10-20-2017, 09:48 PM
OnparoleinTO

Sugarfine - there is no max on how much money you can send in that I'm aware of. But if you send a cheque for $300 or more, it can take up to 6 weeks for them to 'process' it so he actually has the money. Cash is available very quickly. Smaller cheques take a couple of weeks often.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:29 PM

I was told to not send cash or a cheque but to send a money order. Do I need to get one from the bank or can I do a postal money order that can be done at the post office?
Thanks!!