Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Success Stories
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Success Stories Please share your coming-home success stories here.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:26 PM

Unhappy I see all these success stories, but can a felon truly succeed?

I have an extensive record of Breaking and Entering into cars, destroying property, and joyriding, both felony and misdemeanor charges. This was stuff I did at young ages. I want to finish college, go to law school and work in criminal justice reform helping people like me who are coming out of prison to get back on their feet and go forward and succeed?

How can we do better than just going right back to our "hood?" I mean, it is as if no matter what we do we are stuck in our inner city areas where we got into our trouble and if we try to move out, find work, go to college, we just get rejected? Can Felons go to college? If we go to college, can one get housing on campus? What can we do?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to haskinsj99 For This Useful Post:
a.rare.love (12-04-2017), Lordbew/us (01-18-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2017, 02:38 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 14,235 Times in 5,445 Posts

Generally speaking, yes, you can go to college. Housing? Too many variables but off-campus is usually cheaper anyway.

Your record is a stumbling block, not an impenetrable wall. How much energy you pour into lamenting your past versus creating your future will be a huge factor. People are going to bring it up, you're going to need to learn to talk about it as the lesson it is. I'm sure by your post you're familiar with the concept of insight. You have to figure out why this happened and ensure it doesn't happen again. Does moving help? Maybe. Does finding a mentor help? I think so. Insight is key, avoid or work to prevent circumstances that trigger bad decision making. Keep your eyes on your own goals and keep pushing.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
DanielsWyf (11-17-2017), fbopnomore (01-12-2017), Fridyrr.Likn (11-17-2017), Lordbew/us (01-18-2017), Ms Sunny (01-13-2017), Nickel Timer (01-13-2017), Sarianna (01-14-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Generally speaking, yes, you can go to college. Housing? Too many variables but off-campus is usually cheaper anyway.

Your record is a stumbling block, not an impenetrable wall. How much energy you pour into lamenting your past versus creating your future will be a huge factor. People are going to bring it up, you're going to need to learn to talk about it as the lesson it is. I'm sure by your post you're familiar with the concept of insight. You have to figure out why this happened and ensure it doesn't happen again. Does moving help? Maybe. Does finding a mentor help? I think so. Insight is key, avoid or work to prevent circumstances that trigger bad decision making. Keep your eyes on your own goals and keep pushing.
How do you do that when the very laws and attitudes of this society keep you from reaching those goals?
The Following User Says Thank You to haskinsj99 For This Useful Post:
Lordbew/us (01-18-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,713 Times in 10,105 Posts

It's YOUR attitude that's going to have the greatest impact. What you're showing right here and now is that you expect to fail. Change that before you go worrying about other people! Once you change, I'm sure people will give you a decent chance.
Fridyrr.Likn (11-17-2017), LifeTraveler (01-14-2017), miamac (01-12-2017), Nickel Timer (01-13-2017), Patrickj (01-13-2017), Sarianna (01-14-2017), Tried&True (01-18-2017), xolady (11-14-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 08:36 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Thanked 14,235 Times in 5,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by haskinsj99 View Post
How do you do that when the very laws and attitudes of this society keep you from reaching those goals?
If laws and societal attitudes were enough to hold people down indefinitely, you wouldn't have titled this thread "I see all these success stories..."

You're not a victim. You're a product of your choices.
You can choose to do different.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
a.rare.love (12-04-2017), Fridyrr.Likn (11-17-2017), Nickel Timer (01-13-2017), nimuay (01-13-2017), Patrickj (01-13-2017), Raf's Girl (11-13-2017), Sarianna (01-14-2017), Tried&True (01-18-2017), xolady (11-14-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 02:38 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,639 Times in 808 Posts

The only thing holding a ex offender from succeeding is him/her self. It isn't easy to succeed but it can be done. How do I know I did it. Was it easy ? Hell no Were there obstacles ? Yes. First you have to take small steps to succeed
I am no first time miracle , I had to go in three times to get my fill of doing time and to fight my addiction also . It took lots of time and I still fight my addiction. Yes I received a few lucky breaks from people that gave me that second chance, some gave me a third chance even. I will be out 18 years this April. I have been clean for the last 14 years of those 18years. I have had three excellent jobs in that time frame . I left each job for a better employment. I now do a job I enjoy even though it isn't very rewarding I do legal research for a Appellate program here in California My committing offense was armed robbery each time I went to prison. Each time I went the stays got longer.
It is all up to you if you want to succeed . You are not a victim of society. You are a victim of your own choices. Bad choices have consequences that last a life time, but they can be over come

Last edited by Patrickj; 01-13-2017 at 02:41 PM..
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Patrickj For This Useful Post:
candy (07-15-2017), chris idoc (01-29-2017), fbopnomore (01-13-2017), Fridyrr.Likn (11-17-2017), LilyWhiteRabbit (07-16-2017), Lordbew/us (01-18-2017), miamac (01-13-2017), Ms Sunny (01-13-2017), nimuay (01-13-2017), prisonwidow (03-06-2017), Sarianna (01-14-2017), Tried&True (02-16-2017), xolady (11-14-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 03:14 PM
Ex-Prisoner & ACLU Intern
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,108 Times in 844 Posts

Quote:
Can Felons go to college? If we go to college, can one get housing on campus? What can we do?
My friend, as soon as you find some free time, visit this web-site:

https://fafsa.ed.gov/

Do this today. Don't put it off.

If you aren't already, make sure no one declares you as a dependent (receiving greater than 50% support) on their taxes before they file them for 2016. This will qualify you as an "independent student", and make you eligible for up to $6000 in federal grants per year, money towards school that you never have to pay back, much better than the few hundred dollars in savings someone else gets by declaring you as a dependent on their taxes.

These grants alone are more than enough to pay for the full cost of tuition and books at most 2-year junior (community) colleges, which can allow you to get most of your core classes out of the way, before transferring to a more expensive 4-year school to finish up should you choose to proceed further with your education. At which point, direct loans are available with very low (~4%) interest rates, one of which is even subsidized, so that you pay no interest at all on those loans until you are finished with school. You can qualify for these loans even if you have non-existent credit.

Between the grants and the loans, if you just find yourself a part-time job working a few days a week, even if it only pays peanuts, you'll find that you can afford inexpensive off-campus housing close to your school and still have enough spending money to cover the essentials like vehicle/travel expenses and food and basic needs, even if you don't qualify for food stamps.

For as much as some folks like to complain in this country, there really is still so much opportunity. All you have to do is reach out and grasp for it. The help is out there, for those who are willing to put in the effort.

Last edited by Nickel Timer; 01-13-2017 at 03:16 PM..
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
chris idoc (01-29-2017), fbopnomore (01-13-2017), Fridyrr.Likn (11-17-2017), Minor activist (01-18-2017), nimuay (01-29-2017), prisonwidow (03-06-2017), Sarianna (01-14-2017), xolady (11-14-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 11:06 PM

Thanked 1,254 Times in 519 Posts

Haskins, it will be difficult but not impossible. Many places only go back 7 years on background checks so if your offenses were longer than that, that might give you a small break. Having the attitude that you want to prove yourself is the first step. Here are some links to sites that might get you started.
http://mitalent.org/returning-citizens
http://hirenetwork.org/content/michigan
http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...help/77563096/

Also, since you're interested in the law & reform as a future, check out this guy's site. http://specials.myajc.com/lawless-to-lawyer/
I came across him when trying to find someone willing to help my son. David has become a friend & mentor to my son & is fighting to make progress for those returning from incarceration. He started out on a rough road & has become a lawyer & advocate for reform. In fact, he & his fiancee are going to be on the new CBS tv show, Hunted, that starts Sunday night.

His story is inspirational & he really has a good heart. He told me the key to his becoming what he is was having someone to believe in him & mentor him. Find that someone for you. I have written hundreds of letters to anyone I saw that wrote an article or passed a law in favor of reform. It has been a mixed response but still I keep trying. Each person that has replied has helped me a bit further in the journey.

Good luck & don't be the one that holds you back.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
chris idoc (01-29-2017), Minor activist (01-29-2017), nimuay (01-29-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 11:21 AM

Thanked 1,085 Times in 603 Posts

The first item on this list of people who succeeded after prison is a lawyer, Daniel Manville: http://listverse.com/2014/01/06/10-e...-lives-around/

My advice is to associate with people who are good for you. It's easier to work hard if everyone around you is working hard, for example.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minor activist For This Useful Post:
Patrickj (01-30-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 09:29 AM
OnparoleinTO

There's no question the system makes it harder to rebuild your life after jail, and that is sad - wasteful and negative. So it's easy to understand why one gets frustrated. But as others have written, in the end we - and those to whom we are closest - make our own lives, and attitude is really important. One of the interesting findings in research is that people who suffer terrible accidents, such as becoming paralyzed, after about a year tend to return to the state of mind they had before their accident. If they were generally happy before, they are generally happy again, and if they were miserable before they stay miserable. The same is true of people who win the lottery; it doesn't change our basic personality and approach to life.
You might want to look at techniques under the heading of 'mindfulness'; you can find a lot about this online. One important element is to think about and be grateful for the good things you have in life, whether that be health, family, friends, or even a sunny warm day or a walk in the park or a really good cup of coffee. Thinking positive thoughts helps us feel better, and if you practice doing this you will start to feel better and see the brighter side more often. Things like yoga and meditation can also be really good for one's mental state.
As a final comment, while we need to stay positive in our own lives, that shouldn't stop us from working to change and improve the system so that it does more to help people rebuild their lives instead of wasting money making things worse for everyone.
There's a lot of wisdom on this site - hope you continue to use it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onparoleinTO For This Useful Post:
a.rare.love (12-04-2017), nimuay (01-29-2017), Patrickj (01-29-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 10:23 PM

Thanked 1,085 Times in 603 Posts

This is gonna sound preachy but you'll never get the right answer if you ask the wrong question.

"Can a felon succeed?" is the wrong question. The right question is "What can I do today, this week, and this month to get myself the most success possible?".
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Minor activist For This Useful Post:
chris idoc (01-29-2017), Fridyrr.Likn (11-17-2017), LilyWhiteRabbit (07-16-2017), nimuay (01-30-2017), Patrickj (01-30-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 08:13 AM

Default Get Humble, Jump Hurdles to Success

Quote:
I have an extensive record of Breaking and Entering into cars, destroying property, and joyriding, both felony and misdemeanor charges. This was stuff I did at young ages. I want to finish college, go to law school and work in criminal justice reform helping people like me who are coming out of prison to get back on their feet and go forward and succeed?

How can we do better than just going right back to our "hood?" I mean, it is as if no matter what we do we are stuck in our inner city areas where we got into our trouble and if we try to move out, find work, go to college, we just get rejected? Can Felons go to college? If we go to college, can one get housing on campus? What can we do?
I was formerly incarcerated, and keep in touch with several friends who I met on the inside. One started off as a car salesman, and just landed a position in the finance office of the dealership with a six figure salary. Another started as a laborer in an equipment rental yard, became the foreman about a month later, and now is in management with a 17 state territory. And another, unbelievably, is a VP of sales for an international educatiin textbook company. All of these success stories took 2-3 years to play out, and my own story is a work in progress! The primary and common key to success I see is being humble enough to start wherever you can, working extremely hard, and not allowing your conviction to define who you are as a person. Success is hard to achieve for anyone, so it's important to keep that in perspective. Success is possible, even though rarely reported - keep the faith!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Free At Last 5 For This Useful Post:
candy (07-15-2017), Fridyrr.Likn (11-17-2017), nimuay (02-01-2017), onparoleinTO (01-31-2017), Patrickj (01-31-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 09:17 AM

Thanked 1,723 Times in 854 Posts

Quote:

Felons absolutely CAN succeed! It is a matter of making healthier choices and finding out what your options are as far as a career in your desired field.

If someone chose to go to a different "hood", if they have not changed their mindset, they will find the same shit they had in the familiar "hood". Find resources to connect with agencies, colleges, and the community that can help guide you in the right direction.

Good luck!
Patrickj (01-31-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 05:11 AM

You answered your own question if YOU did it and judge Mathis it is possible!
Old 11-17-2017, 12:10 PM

My son has been in prison 3 times - twice in Young Offenders and once in "big boys" prison. It was here in the UK but a felon is a felon. He has been out for 10 years and has stayed out of trouble and is a completely different person - in a long relationship, 2 children and has worked in the same job since he got out. So I think everyone has it in them to change and succeed.
The Following User Says Thank You to judiwoo For This Useful Post:
Lordbew/us (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 02:59 PM
Lil British Site Moderator

Thanked 6,564 Times in 2,983 Posts

Anyone can change if they want to , its not the easy option but its possible. Plenty claim they want to change but soon slip back to old ways. Those who really want to make changes do and often gain the rewards that better choices bring, families, homes ,jobs and self respect.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (11-17-2017), Lordbew/us (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 03:26 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,043 Times in 1,048 Posts

My boyfriend has been out of prison nearly 4 years. He's on parole for another couple months. He's the foreman with a great water/wastewater construction company making good money. We own our own house on the golf course with 2 sweet trucks. YOU can do anything you want as long as you put in the effort and never give up. It WILL take immensely hard work and you will have to present yourself better than someone without a criminal past, but it CAN be done.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fridyrr.Likn For This Useful Post:
Lordbew/us (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 03:58 PM

Thanks to all for sharing, and I couldn't agree more. The common thread I hear is hard work, conviction, and a refusal to play a victim. Everyone has hurdles to climb over. It's a matter of never giving up! TGIF!
Old 11-30-2017, 05:24 PM

Yes of course, I have a criminal history and I after my release I succeed. I'm now married and I am pregnant. I have got accepted into a college as well. So I'm sure you can succeed too, just work hard and leave your past behind like a did.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kyoto's May For This Useful Post:
Chaddersgirl (12-01-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onparoleinTO View Post

, and if they were miserable before they stay miserable. The same is true of people who win the lottery; it doesn't change our basic personality and approach to life.

One important element is to think about and be grateful for the good things you have in life, whether that be health, family, friends, or even a sunny warm day or a walk in the park or a really good cup of coffee.

-

Thinking positive thoughts helps us feel better, and if you practice doing this you will start to feel better and see the brighter side more often. Things like yoga and meditation can also be really good for one's mental state.

As a final comment, while we need to stay positive in our own lives, that shouldn't stop us from working to change and improve the system so that it does more to help people rebuild their lives instead of wasting money making things worse for everyone.
There's a lot of wisdom on this site - hope you continue to use it.

I ABSOLUTELY love your post, and i've highlight some that i REALLY love.

#POSITIVE=
great vibes throughout one's life/days and nights.I am living proof of such.I've been smiling all the way to (1 day)implementing law school/juris doctor helping more legal-speaking with the dysfunctional family/domestic court, to men falsely accused,women,families et.al.,
I take no day/night for granted.I really don't. I just have no time for it anymore for over 10 years of being this way and i feel SO much healthier and happy each waking day,praise the lord.
-
Yoga...Meditation. to a quiet peaceful walk on the beach/around the town. a nice long drive/short drive, to starting another brand new biz for mi self, to writing another book/song/movie/screenplay/working out/smiling at a simple blue-bird i see and or red cardinal,to helping homeless man/woman by handing them five to fifty bucks when i am doing this i smile so much and sometimes i hand them more to trying to motivate others as a Life-Coach after D.V.,relationships of such negative, to empowering many in all walks/all phases in their lifetime." I just can't sit around being negative/droopy/miserable.I've learned this is #WASTEDENERGY

DAVID CASSIDY RIP (so handsome GREAT songwriter)under-rated from tv 70s hit show said, that about #wastedtime energy i think when he died far too young!!!His lovely daughter said this was his very last words and he is right...#RIPDavidCassidy...
-
NO TIME for negativity and i shall continue to try to instill such positive and focus in mi loved one,now semi-home."(halfway house.)I just can't hang around/be around a negative/droopy/un-motivated individual whether that is a woman or a guy.Nope.I've been done with that. I think mi loved one es finally "getting it." Good night all.Hugs and Blessings... Adios.

Mi fiancee-bff es currently out of prison
@ 12:01 a.m.on thanksgiving eve.

Next?
#Weekends alone #me+him Snugglin' with- Hot Chocolate, Winter-Kisses that we both have patiently longed for,without D.O.C.

Last edited by a.rare.love; 12-04-2017 at 06:17 PM..
Old 12-04-2017, 06:12 PM

Thanked 1,583 Times in 1,033 Posts

I don't consider my husband a felon he is my husband a perfectly good human being.
People will succeed if they want to. Having a past shouldn't stop them.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl17 View Post
I don't consider my husband a felon he is my husband a perfectly good human being.
People will succeed if they want to. Having a past shouldn't stop them.
Agreed