Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NORTH CAROLINA > North Carolina General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

North Carolina General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in North Carolina that do not fit into any other North Carolina sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 11-22-2017, 12:50 PM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 2,877 Times in 2,117 Posts
Default Mecklenburg jail visits are now solely by video. Critics say that hurts

Mecklenburg jail visits are now solely by video. Critics say that hurts inmates, families

"Mecklenburg County has joined a growing number of North Carolina jails that have ended in-person visits, a move that has drawn criticism because inmates can only talk to family members by video.

Studies show that inmates who have visitors are less likely to return after their release. But inmate advocates, and the correction industry’s trade association, say video should be deployed in addition to personal visits – not replace them.

Instead, many county jails including Mecklenburg’s end in-person visits altogether once they install video systems."

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/new...185816728.html
Old 11-22-2017, 03:11 PM

Thanked 1,084 Times in 603 Posts

The pain this causes to people in the jail (many legally innocent) and to their families is all the reason anyone could need to be angry.

I've got another one.

To protect the revenue stream of the private contractor they are making the jail less secure for everyone. How many times have we seen someone here quote a loved one saying things like "I would have fought but didn't want to lose visitation"? With no in-person visitation to take away, the authorities lose important leverage.

I don't have the link handy but there is proof out there that jails have more contraband after they stop in-person visits.
choclgs (11-22-2017), K6770 (11-23-2017)
Old 11-23-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor activist View Post
The pain this causes to people in the jail (many legally innocent) and to their families is all the reason anyone could need to be angry.

I've got another one.

To protect the revenue stream of the private contractor they are making the jail less secure for everyone. How many times have we seen someone here quote a loved one saying things like "I would have fought but didn't want to lose visitation"? With no in-person visitation to take away, the authorities lose important leverage.

I don't have the link handy but there is proof out there that jails have more contraband after they stop in-person visits.
I don't think contraband is really the prime issue here, even through its the one that is always provided for moving to video only visitation. I think that most jails have grown to large for their CO staffing. The larger they get the more money that comes in, but staff & administrative personnel costs are always growing faster. Also video visits and phone services are the only real areas were technology is a net positive for the budget. Everywhere else technology is a drain on the budget, specially when the facility and technology starts to get a few years old. By technology I mean everything from the security systems to the HVAC systems.

Some people disgarded a commitment I once made about prison/jail food. I wrote that the best way to start improving the quality of the food was to decrease the numbers of people in jail/prison. In the same way I think video only visitation is just a symptom of a much larger problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to K6770 For This Useful Post:
Minor activist (11-23-2017)
Old 11-23-2017, 09:46 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,020 Posts

If it would be through a system so I could video-visit with my boyfriend from Germany (in addition to a personal visit) I'd welcome it. I get to see him once and if I'm lucky twice a year so as an addition it would be awesome, instead would be devastating.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:11 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor activist View Post

I've got another one.

More profits for the guards Just my

Old 11-23-2017, 11:39 AM

Thanked 3,466 Times in 1,621 Posts

From the jail's web site

GTL, INC. TO OFFER FREE VIDEO VISITATION FOR THANKSGIVING HOLIDAY
(11/23/2017-11/26/2017)

(An inmate can receive one free remote internet visit during this time period).

Mecklenburg County Sheriff Irwin Carmichael has approved a request from Global Tel Link (GTL), Inc. to offer each inmate one free remote video visit for families and friends who have loved ones at the Mecklenburg County Jail this Thanksgiving weekend. The company is offering one free remote video visit per inmate from Thursday, November 23, 2017, until Sunday, November 26, 2017.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:26 PM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 2,877 Times in 2,117 Posts

The article states that there is a profit in video visitation. Contraband is always a defense used to say why jails/prisons make policy changes.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:36 AM

Thanked 2,214 Times in 763 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitewolf047 View Post
More profits for the guards Just my
You’ve never seen a prison guard’s paycheck, have you?
Old 11-24-2017, 11:54 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marseille View Post
You’ve never seen a prison guard’s paycheck, have you?
I haven't seen one but I understand they aren't a lot. Even if they are paid well... the statistics about contraband increasing... Well you know

Old 11-24-2017, 02:21 PM

Thanked 1,084 Times in 603 Posts

But it is worth remembering that the people walking the tiers will never see a dime of the "facility commissions" that the jail receives from the video visitation contractor.
choclgs (11-29-2017)