Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > The Spiritual Connection
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Different Religions...Does it matter?
Yes 65 56.52%
No 32 27.83%
It doesn't matter...one of us will convert if we need to. 5 4.35%
I don't know...I never really thought about it. 1 0.87%
Maybe 12 10.43%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-20-2012, 07:57 PM

Interesting topic. WHen I began dating my Guy in 1993 he was Muslim and I was Christian. We were fine with it. Later in our relationship I asked him if he wanted me to be Muslim. he told me that he could never tell me that btu did ask me a question about my belief in God and Jesus. That question shook my core ad I began studying both religions. I became Muslim 6 months later. I actually left him c once I became Muslim (9-11-94) I wanted us to get married and stop sleeping together. He wasn't ready. So I decided I loved him but I loved God more. ANd I walked away and cried for 2 months.

Fast forward 17 years and God brought us together again. We r both still Muslim and will get married. One of the first questions I asked him was if he was still Muslim. I was so happy when he said he was. If he wasn't... I wouldn't have gotten involved again. For me, being the same religion is a big deal. it was at first, but now that I have grown up and have kids, it brings a unity to the home, imho.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2012, 06:50 PM

I honestly don't believe it matters. I don't believe in anything spiritual and my man is catholic but it's never been a problem for us. We do share a lot of the same values and dreams, we just differ on religion and it's not a problem.
We've talked about when we have kids and seeing as I have no religion they will have his because it's important to him, whereas I don't mind either way.
I think as long as you respect someone's beliefs it shouldn't be an issue.

The Following User Says Thank You to notyourordinary For This Useful Post:
benignneglect (07-02-2013)
Old 07-02-2013, 10:20 AM
Banned

we were the same religion. Now we are both different.

He converted to something he believes in and I love and respect him for that. I actually read his "book" of choice and follow some of his practices, not for beliefs sake, but to support him and what he believes.

Me, I am now spiritual not religious. I took some ancient history classes and learned so much about belief and practices from the beginning of history, before Catholics Christians Jews and Muslims even existed, like back when Auten the Sun God was GOD. I am talking about God when the human species first evolved and I believe in the god that has been here since the beginning of time. Not some man made religion that people wrote the rules according to the time period. Spirituality is key for me.

We get along perfectly. We support each other and believe it or not, all of our children think we are crazy and chose to believe what we taught them from birth. We are good with that.

Life is about choices and the freedom to chose.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:45 PM
To the moon & back
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,505 Times in 2,235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_A View Post
I 100% agree with you on that. This is an issue for me.

I, myself, am in a Pentecostal church, while he is Muslim. Religion...wait, let me rephrase that....a RELATIONSHIP with God was never an interest to him prior to his incarceration. Isn't that how it always seems to go in most cases? But, hey, if incarceration is what it takes for God to FINALLY get your attention, then I'm all for it. The true test of an inmates faith/relationship will come when those doors open and he is back out in society. Will he continue to build that relationship, or will he turn loose of his relationship with God and backslide?

Since his incarceration, my Hadi first "tried" Christianity, didn't agree with certain gospels, thought the Bible was contradictory(I don't agree), and chose Islam. A HUGE deciding factor is that Hadi was born into the Muslim faith.(he just never paid it no mind, until now) His father is Muslim, as well as many other family members.

So, because of his choice, and mine....we don't believe the same, worship the same, pray the same. I don't like that. I want us to come together in agreement and do all of those things....TOGETHER. The Bible says...how can two come together unless they agree.
I do not want to be unequally yolked and in constant disagreement with my mate. Especially when I don't have to be. There are enough issues to deal with in a relationship and the way I wan't to battle those issues is in our SHARED faith.

So....I am at a crossroads. I am letting go and letting God.
Well, it took almost three more years, but having gone through that experience just solidified for me that having the same faith does matter. And I won't ever again get involved with a man whose faith is different from mine.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:15 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,035 Times in 1,044 Posts

Absolutely, I wouldn't be with someone in a different faith.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:37 PM

It matters to me. Me and my loved are the same. Both raised church of Christ. We attend a cowboy church now and we love it. We are both born again christians
Old 10-22-2017, 09:40 PM

I would never date someone from a different faith.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:52 PM

Thanked 1,085 Times in 603 Posts

A marriage counselor told me once that the two biggest problems for interfaith marriages to work out are what holy days to observe and what to teach the children. Get those right and often they can succeed.
Fridyrr.Likn (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,698 Times in 10,100 Posts

As long as someone isn't pushy about their religion, I'm fine. Don't try to convert me and don't praise Jesus or Allah or Jove all day long and I will tolerate almost anything.
Fridyrr.Likn (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 12:03 PM
Coopers disciple

I think it very much depends on the religions and how active/devoted you are to it. the man I love is a Toltec/shaman/energy/astro believer and he's very into it. I was always agnostic towards everything. But it's so important to him that I started to learn about it.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:32 PM

B and I are of the same religion, it was the biggest reason that I wrote to him. Because of our religion being the same our bond is beyond any either of us has had with another person of the opposite sex. We have this huge thing in common and it just makes everything so much better to have the same views and hopes for the future, etc.