Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status All discussions relating to specific Texas Department of Criminal Justice prison units, Texas State Jails & Private prisons, and County Jails.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:34 PM

Default Unsafe & Unsanitary Conditions (Middleton Unit) Who do I call? Need numbers

I'm p***** right now so bear with me I just learned that at the Middleton unit that they have been washing the food trays with cold water they have no soap they have no hot water the trays are greasy and they're still serving food to the inmates like this ... what I'm asking is, I need some phone numbers do I call the health department or who do I call because that is a very wrong, unsanitary and very nasty ..help me out folks I can't not say anything.... plezzz and Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2017, 06:13 AM

Thanked 3,966 Times in 2,126 Posts

II called the warden at a prison that my husband was at when they had a problem with the kitchen. A bunch of inmates had gotten ill after eating bad food. Anyway the warden was great actually went and checked out the kitchen and had things fixed by the next day. He even called me back to make sure I was aware he did correct the problems. I think its the ultimate responsibility of the warden to insure the safety of their facility.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
II called the warden at a prison that my husband was at when they had a problem with the kitchen. A bunch of inmates had gotten ill after eating bad food. Anyway the warden was great actually went and checked out the kitchen and had things fixed by the next day. He even called me back to make sure I was aware he did correct the problems. I think its the ultimate responsibility of the warden to insure the safety of their facility.
Well from what I'm hearing the warden is well aware of what's going on ..a few days ago some inmates couldn't eat fast enough so they were given cheese sandwiches while everyone before them had ate hot meals..my son says It is so unsanitary he said rats run around on the floor in the kitchen while they're working ...the trays r So greasy ..they wash them off with ice cold water and send them back out...this crap makes me Furious they should have to eat out of those nasty trays just like everybody else does and see how they like it .hell they said there was a main water line that broke and they had no showers for weeks but when checked there was no water main busted..This is unbelievable .Maybe someone will come a long that knows some important people to call,mean while I thank I will call the health department

Old 11-10-2017, 12:18 PM

Thanked 1,053 Times in 585 Posts

I like your idea of starting with the health department.

Some other things, less likely to work, are the TDCJ ombudsman and your state legislator's office.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:03 PM

Well I'm fixing to make that call ... I just don't get why they that k this is ok

Old 11-10-2017, 06:01 PM

Thanked 3,966 Times in 2,126 Posts

I know from personal experience you might just as well bang your head against a wall, but sometimes you find the right person in MY case it was the warden!!! He is the ultimate legally responsible one for all of the inmates!!!
Old 11-10-2017, 07:19 PM

What did Health dept say? Will they check into it?
Old 11-10-2017, 07:23 PM
Starry Eyed

Staff Superstar Winner 

Thanked 4,009 Times in 1,879 Posts

Even if they're telling you the warden is aware, you can still call him. There's a difference between an inmate complaining and free world person complaining to him. He might be a little more quick to act when under pressure from the public.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lorraine For This Useful Post:
xolady (11-11-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsDeeKay View Post
What did Health dept say? Will they check into it?
They was closed today

Old 11-10-2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine View Post
Even if they're telling you the warden is aware, you can still call him. There's a difference between an inmate complaining and free world person complaining to him. He might be a little more quick to act when under pressure from the public.
That's true..im gonna tell a few folks

Old 11-13-2017, 06:46 AM

I filed a medical health complaint for Garza East since they were being served food standing in sewer water that backed up into the kitchen/eating area this weekend. I called 936-437-4271 and left a message since they were not open over the weekend. I also followed up with an email to health.services@tdcj.texas.gov and will making several phonecalls this morning. I will escalate this complaint quickly to the highest levels since this is no way for ANYONE to be treated. NO human being, guilty or innocent or whatever, should be subjected to these conditions on top of little (usually no) warm/hot water, no a/c or heat, and not being issued clean clothing.
The Following User Says Thank You to veteranfreedom For This Useful Post:
xolady (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veteranfreedom View Post
I filed a medical health complaint for Garza East since they were being served food standing in sewer water that backed up into the kitchen/eating area this weekend. I called 936-437-4271 and left a message since they were not open over the weekend. I also followed up with an email to health.services@tdcj.texas.gov and will making several phonecalls this morning. I will escalate this complaint quickly to the highest levels since this is no way for ANYONE to be treated. NO human being, guilty or innocent or whatever, should be subjected to these conditions on top of little (usually no) warm/hot water, no a/c or heat, and not being issued clean clothing.
Please let me have all the numbers u have cause Middleton is nasty...They have a guard there that's running them to Chow so fast that they don't even have time to eat and if they're not fast enough she hands them cheese sandwiches to eat ...She had my son hold his bowels for 3 hours because she did not want open up the gate in the kitchen area to let him go to the restroom ..I will not tolerate seeing my loved one being treated that way I will take it to the highest level possible even if that includes taking it to the news channels in Abilene .....He was not even allowed to take a shower for over a week had no clean clothes they have nothing in the commissary because they donated to the Houston Hurricane ..What the h*** is wrong with these people ..So please send me some good numbers to people higher up I would very much appreciated

Old 11-13-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beverly.dedman View Post
Please let me have all the numbers u have cause Middleton is nasty...They have a guard there that's running them to Chow so fast that they don't even have time to eat and if they're not fast enough she hands them cheese sandwiches to eat ...She had my son hold his bowels for 3 hours because she did not want open up the gate in the kitchen area to let him go to the restroom ..I will not tolerate seeing my loved one being treated that way I will take it to the highest level possible even if that includes taking it to the news channels in Abilene .....He was not even allowed to take a shower for over a week had no clean clothes they have nothing in the commissary because they donated to the Houston Hurricane ..What the h*** is wrong with these people ..So please send me some good numbers to people higher up I would very much appreciated
Also you can address the issue here ombudsman@tdcj.texas.gov

Old 11-13-2017, 10:32 AM

Thanked 1,053 Times in 585 Posts

This might interest the reporter who runs the Grits For Breakfast blog about the TX criminal justice system. See if there's contact information somewhere on http://gritsforbreakfast.blogspot.com/ .

If your legislator is a conservative, you can point out that an epidemic will cost a lot more than repairing a dishwasher, and however sadistic he wants to be toward the inmates this is a foolish risk of taxpayer money.
beverly.dedman (11-13-2017), dtmom2013 (11-13-2017), veteranfreedom (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 10:41 AM

I received a call a few moments ago from TDCJ Health Services and they referred me to the unit warden, but at least were able to offer that number to me. So I have a call into this unit to file a complaint and am waiting on a call back. I'm also documenting the details day by day. Good luck since I've quickly learned the system is not what I always thought it was...regardless of conditions of conviction or background or anything else, I've always believed the laws protected every American's most basic human rights...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to veteranfreedom For This Useful Post:
dtmom2013 (11-13-2017), xolady (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor activist View Post
This might interest the reporter who runs the Grits For Breakfast blog about the TX criminal justice system. See if there's contact information somewhere on http://gritsforbreakfast.blogspot.com/ .

If your legislator is a conservative, you can point out that an epidemic will cost a lot more than repairing a dishwasher, and however sadistic he wants to be toward the inmates this is a foolish risk of taxpayer money.
Thank you so much for the info....

Old 11-13-2017, 12:43 PM

I just heard that the facility has inquired about the matter after receiving multiple phonecalls. It sounds like the issue is being handled thank goodness. My close friend was satisfied with the response given to at least address the problem as far as he could say. He was told it was not sewer...

Moral of the story is that you should make the call until someone responds with an answer, even if the explanation sounds a bit far-fetched...any positive response by those overseeing the facility is a step in the right direction. The facilities are tough on those on both sides for sure...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to veteranfreedom For This Useful Post:
dtmom2013 (11-13-2017), xolady (11-13-2017)