Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!






Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status All discussions relating to specific Texas Department of Criminal Justice prison units, Texas State Jails & Private prisons, and County Jails.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-09-2017, 09:34 PM
beverly.dedman's Avatar
beverly.dedman beverly.dedman is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Amarillo Texas
Posts: 354
Thanks: 24
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default Unsafe & Unsanitary Conditions (Middleton Unit) Who do I call? Need numbers

I'm p***** right now so bear with me I just learned that at the Middleton unit that they have been washing the food trays with cold water they have no soap they have no hot water the trays are greasy and they're still serving food to the inmates like this ... what I'm asking is, I need some phone numbers do I call the health department or who do I call because that is a very wrong, unsanitary and very nasty ..help me out folks I can't not say anything.... plezzz and Thank you
__________________


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 11-10-2017, 06:13 AM
xolady xolady is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: May 2014
Location: highlands, florida
Posts: 4,153
Thanks: 7,061
Thanked 3,966 Times in 2,126 Posts
Default

II called the warden at a prison that my husband was at when they had a problem with the kitchen. A bunch of inmates had gotten ill after eating bad food. Anyway the warden was great actually went and checked out the kitchen and had things fixed by the next day. He even called me back to make sure I was aware he did correct the problems. I think its the ultimate responsibility of the warden to insure the safety of their facility.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-10-2017, 07:53 AM
beverly.dedman's Avatar
beverly.dedman beverly.dedman is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Amarillo Texas
Posts: 354
Thanks: 24
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
II called the warden at a prison that my husband was at when they had a problem with the kitchen. A bunch of inmates had gotten ill after eating bad food. Anyway the warden was great actually went and checked out the kitchen and had things fixed by the next day. He even called me back to make sure I was aware he did correct the problems. I think its the ultimate responsibility of the warden to insure the safety of their facility.
Well from what I'm hearing the warden is well aware of what's going on ..a few days ago some inmates couldn't eat fast enough so they were given cheese sandwiches while everyone before them had ate hot meals..my son says It is so unsanitary he said rats run around on the floor in the kitchen while they're working ...the trays r So greasy ..they wash them off with ice cold water and send them back out...this crap makes me Furious they should have to eat out of those nasty trays just like everybody else does and see how they like it .hell they said there was a main water line that broke and they had no showers for weeks but when checked there was no water main busted..This is unbelievable .Maybe someone will come a long that knows some important people to call,mean while I thank I will call the health department
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-10-2017, 12:18 PM
Minor activist Minor activist is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: WA USA
Posts: 1,243
Thanks: 754
Thanked 1,053 Times in 585 Posts
Default

I like your idea of starting with the health department.

Some other things, less likely to work, are the TDCJ ombudsman and your state legislator's office.
__________________
I'm collecting Best of PTO posts and quotes in my blog here.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-10-2017, 01:03 PM
beverly.dedman's Avatar
beverly.dedman beverly.dedman is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Amarillo Texas
Posts: 354
Thanks: 24
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Well I'm fixing to make that call ... I just don't get why they that k this is ok
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-10-2017, 06:01 PM
xolady xolady is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: May 2014
Location: highlands, florida
Posts: 4,153
Thanks: 7,061
Thanked 3,966 Times in 2,126 Posts
Default

I know from personal experience you might just as well bang your head against a wall, but sometimes you find the right person in MY case it was the warden!!! He is the ultimate legally responsible one for all of the inmates!!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-10-2017, 07:19 PM
MrsDeeKay MrsDeeKay is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: LA USA
Posts: 297
Thanks: 215
Thanked 238 Times in 121 Posts
Default

What did Health dept say? Will they check into it?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-10-2017, 07:23 PM
Lorraine's Avatar
Lorraine Lorraine is offline
Starry Eyed

Staff Superstar Winner 

 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3,423
Thanks: 827
Thanked 4,009 Times in 1,879 Posts
Default

Even if they're telling you the warden is aware, you can still call him. There's a difference between an inmate complaining and free world person complaining to him. He might be a little more quick to act when under pressure from the public.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lorraine For This Useful Post:
xolady (11-11-2017)
  #9  
Old 11-10-2017, 10:10 PM
beverly.dedman's Avatar
beverly.dedman beverly.dedman is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Amarillo Texas
Posts: 354
Thanks: 24
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsDeeKay View Post
What did Health dept say? Will they check into it?
They was closed today
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-10-2017, 10:11 PM
beverly.dedman's Avatar
beverly.dedman beverly.dedman is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Amarillo Texas
Posts: 354
Thanks: 24
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine View Post
Even if they're telling you the warden is aware, you can still call him. There's a difference between an inmate complaining and free world person complaining to him. He might be a little more quick to act when under pressure from the public.
That's true..im gonna tell a few folks
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-13-2017, 06:46 AM
veteranfreedom veteranfreedom is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Bee County TX
Posts: 3
Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I filed a medical health complaint for Garza East since they were being served food standing in sewer water that backed up into the kitchen/eating area this weekend. I called 936-437-4271 and left a message since they were not open over the weekend. I also followed up with an email to health.services@tdcj.texas.gov and will making several phonecalls this morning. I will escalate this complaint quickly to the highest levels since this is no way for ANYONE to be treated. NO human being, guilty or innocent or whatever, should be subjected to these conditions on top of little (usually no) warm/hot water, no a/c or heat, and not being issued clean clothing.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to veteranfreedom For This Useful Post:
xolady (11-13-2017)
  #12  
Old 11-13-2017, 09:04 AM
beverly.dedman's Avatar
beverly.dedman beverly.dedman is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Amarillo Texas
Posts: 354
Thanks: 24
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by veteranfreedom View Post
I filed a medical health complaint for Garza East since they were being served food standing in sewer water that backed up into the kitchen/eating area this weekend. I called 936-437-4271 and left a message since they were not open over the weekend. I also followed up with an email to health.services@tdcj.texas.gov and will making several phonecalls this morning. I will escalate this complaint quickly to the highest levels since this is no way for ANYONE to be treated. NO human being, guilty or innocent or whatever, should be subjected to these conditions on top of little (usually no) warm/hot water, no a/c or heat, and not being issued clean clothing.
Please let me have all the numbers u have cause Middleton is nasty...They have a guard there that's running them to Chow so fast that they don't even have time to eat and if they're not fast enough she hands them cheese sandwiches to eat ...She had my son hold his bowels for 3 hours because she did not want open up the gate in the kitchen area to let him go to the restroom ..I will not tolerate seeing my loved one being treated that way I will take it to the highest level possible even if that includes taking it to the news channels in Abilene .....He was not even allowed to take a shower for over a week had no clean clothes they have nothing in the commissary because they donated to the Houston Hurricane ..What the h*** is wrong with these people ..So please send me some good numbers to people higher up I would very much appreciated
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-13-2017, 09:50 AM
beverly.dedman's Avatar
beverly.dedman beverly.dedman is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Amarillo Texas
Posts: 354
Thanks: 24
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beverly.dedman View Post
Please let me have all the numbers u have cause Middleton is nasty...They have a guard there that's running them to Chow so fast that they don't even have time to eat and if they're not fast enough she hands them cheese sandwiches to eat ...She had my son hold his bowels for 3 hours because she did not want open up the gate in the kitchen area to let him go to the restroom ..I will not tolerate seeing my loved one being treated that way I will take it to the highest level possible even if that includes taking it to the news channels in Abilene .....He was not even allowed to take a shower for over a week had no clean clothes they have nothing in the commissary because they donated to the Houston Hurricane ..What the h*** is wrong with these people ..So please send me some good numbers to people higher up I would very much appreciated
Also you can address the issue here ombudsman@tdcj.texas.gov
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-13-2017, 10:32 AM
Minor activist Minor activist is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: WA USA
Posts: 1,243
Thanks: 754
Thanked 1,053 Times in 585 Posts
Default

This might interest the reporter who runs the Grits For Breakfast blog about the TX criminal justice system. See if there's contact information somewhere on http://gritsforbreakfast.blogspot.com/ .

If your legislator is a conservative, you can point out that an epidemic will cost a lot more than repairing a dishwasher, and however sadistic he wants to be toward the inmates this is a foolish risk of taxpayer money.
__________________
I'm collecting Best of PTO posts and quotes in my blog here.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Minor activist For This Useful Post:
beverly.dedman (11-13-2017), dtmom2013 (11-13-2017), veteranfreedom (11-13-2017)
  #15  
Old 11-13-2017, 10:41 AM
veteranfreedom veteranfreedom is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Bee County TX
Posts: 3
Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I received a call a few moments ago from TDCJ Health Services and they referred me to the unit warden, but at least were able to offer that number to me. So I have a call into this unit to file a complaint and am waiting on a call back. I'm also documenting the details day by day. Good luck since I've quickly learned the system is not what I always thought it was...regardless of conditions of conviction or background or anything else, I've always believed the laws protected every American's most basic human rights...
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to veteranfreedom For This Useful Post:
dtmom2013 (11-13-2017), xolady (11-13-2017)
  #16  
Old 11-13-2017, 11:29 AM
beverly.dedman's Avatar
beverly.dedman beverly.dedman is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Amarillo Texas
Posts: 354
Thanks: 24
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor activist View Post
This might interest the reporter who runs the Grits For Breakfast blog about the TX criminal justice system. See if there's contact information somewhere on http://gritsforbreakfast.blogspot.com/ .

If your legislator is a conservative, you can point out that an epidemic will cost a lot more than repairing a dishwasher, and however sadistic he wants to be toward the inmates this is a foolish risk of taxpayer money.
Thank you so much for the info....
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-13-2017, 12:43 PM
veteranfreedom veteranfreedom is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Bee County TX
Posts: 3
Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I just heard that the facility has inquired about the matter after receiving multiple phonecalls. It sounds like the issue is being handled thank goodness. My close friend was satisfied with the response given to at least address the problem as far as he could say. He was told it was not sewer...

Moral of the story is that you should make the call until someone responds with an answer, even if the explanation sounds a bit far-fetched...any positive response by those overseeing the facility is a step in the right direction. The facilities are tough on those on both sides for sure...
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to veteranfreedom For This Useful Post:
dtmom2013 (11-13-2017), xolady (11-13-2017)
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unsanitary conditions at Nassau County jail missmyanglface Other New York Prisons & Jails 2 03-06-2010 01:39 PM
Unsanitary conditions at Nassau County jail missmyanglface New York Prison News & Events 1 11-24-2009 09:47 AM
Unsanitary conditions GFaye Oklahoma General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat 1 02-05-2009 09:42 PM
Unsanitary Kitchen Conditions LaurieJ Alabama General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat 2 10-21-2003 11:13 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:55 AM.
Copyright © 2001- 2017 Prison Talk Online
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website Design & Custom vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media
Message Board Statistics