Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk > GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions Please post topics or discussions here that do not fit in the appropriate state or federal forums.

Old 11-09-2017, 04:35 PM

Default What seems to tip COs off in the mail room?

I know there's always the obvious stuff that they specify you can't include in letters, such as escape plans, coded language or overly graphic photos. But I'm wondering what sort of content tends to cause a delay or a tip-off in the mail room that isn't explicitly prohibited. Does anyone have experience with a certain type of letter or material that always seems to have a pattern of being flagged/delayed before it gets to the inmate?

P.S. Thanks to all the members of PTO who have consistently answered all my other questions thus far! This is such a helpful community.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2017, 06:23 PM

Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,127 Posts

Anything such as a certain word spelling or whatever I am not quite sure why your asking but I can tell you this if you ever get caught smuggling contraband you will get prosecuted!!!
Old 11-09-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
Anything such as a certain word spelling or whatever I am not quite sure why your asking but I can tell you this if you ever get caught smuggling contraband you will get prosecuted!!!
Oh Iím just wondering because I sent a seemingly innocent letter to my MWI and it still hasnít gotten to him, so I was just wondering what part of it might have caused the delay in the mail room since I spoke on a whole range of topics. Definitely not looking to get myself or my friend in trouble haha! But thanks for your response.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bree024 For This Useful Post:
xolady (11-09-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 06:40 PM

Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bree024 View Post
Oh Iím just wondering because I sent a seemingly innocent letter to my MWI and it still hasnít gotten to him, so I was just wondering what part of it might have caused the delay in the mail room since I spoke on a whole range of topics. Definitely not looking to get myself or my friend in trouble haha! But thanks for your response.
Was letter addressed properly, was your name and return address on it, The inmate number and right building and sometimes bunk #. I have had stuff held up months over a stupid thing, sometimes it's just lost not held up. Prison is like another world. Your question was phrased in a suspect way that's why I asked and said what I did.
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
Ms Sunny (11-10-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 06:57 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 13,887 Times in 5,344 Posts

Sometimes they just plain 'ol never make it. We've had a few, far less than others I've read, but a few. Never had anything to do with what was in the letter because they were always benign subjects that I would resend with no problem.

Sometimes it has to do with the inmate. I'm not saying this is the case with yours, but just as a general piece of info. Inmates who have a history of receiving contraband, are being investigated (whether they know or don't), or if they have inside activity that triggers CO attention can all be reasons that have nothing to do with your mail but will slow up the process.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:09 PM

Thanked 2,168 Times in 751 Posts

I once wrote a letter that contained, amongst a million other topics, a fairly garrulous paragraph about oxytocin and how it makes you feel... It got sent back to me after a couple of weeks because apparently the mail room people don't know the difference between oxytocin and Oxycontin and they thought I was talking about illegal drug use.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:24 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 13,887 Times in 5,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marseille View Post
I once wrote a letter that contained, amongst a million other topics, a fairly garrulous paragraph about oxytocin and how it makes you feel... It got sent back to me after a couple of weeks because apparently the mail room people don't know the difference between oxytocin and Oxycontin and they thought I was talking about illegal drug use.

I guess they don't supply reference guides for mail room employees.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:45 PM

good question! one of mine is being held up and i dont know why! and then there is one my husband sent me over a week ago that I havent received yet. I hope to finally receive it and figure out why it took so long to be sent out

Old 11-10-2017, 08:29 PM

B says his letters are taken to the mail room totally sealed. He is in a PA prison. Are outgoing letters read at your husband's prison?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EccentricManda View Post
good question! one of mine is being held up and i dont know why! and then there is one my husband sent me over a week ago that I havent received yet. I hope to finally receive it and figure out why it took so long to be sent out
Old 11-10-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLuvWithALifer View Post
B says his letters are taken to the mail room totally sealed. He is in a PA prison. Are outgoing letters read at your husband's prison?
I know outgoing letters are read where my husband is at because they never bothered to seal the one thing he's tried to send me so far, so all the contents inside got lost in the mail except for the envelope. I'm still not over that, and I don't know that I ever will be.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:48 PM

I am so sorry honey, I'd be equally as devastated by such a loss. Why they don't check in P.A is beyond me. It might be because he is on a block especially for inmates who've been well behaved for at least 10+years. Maybe it is just that block? I can't say for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedA_Name View Post
I know outgoing letters are read where my husband is at because they never bothered to seal the one thing he's tried to send me so far, so all the contents inside got lost in the mail except for the envelope. I'm still not over that, and I don't know that I ever will be.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLuvWithALifer View Post
I am so sorry honey, I'd be equally as devastated by such a loss. Why they don't check in P.A is beyond me. It might be because he is on a block especially for inmates who've been well behaved for at least 10+years. Maybe it is just that block? I can't say for sure.
I don't know, but as soon as I saw the little plastic baggie the post office puts damaged mail in sitting in my mailbox and saw how thin the envelope was, my heart fell through the asphalt. Brought it inside, took it out of the bag, and saw that the closing flap had been torn off and there was no sign whatsoever on the envelope that they even tried to seal it but that the adhesive didn't work right or anything like that. When I called up the mail room to see if the contents might be sitting somewhere, they said everything outside an envelope gets tossed. Hubby had had one of the people on his block make me something and then was moved to another block before he mailed my letter, so when the person on the mail room phone said "well maybe it can be resent," it took everything within me not to tell her off that that was impossible now.
Old 11-11-2017, 03:27 PM

I'm so sorry, I know my excuse sounds weak, but the staffing might be short handed, and mail takes longer because of it, that was the reason for a while for us. The co's might take vacation around now, and mail just doesn't get out as early as other times
Old 11-11-2017, 07:54 PM

Thanked 2,168 Times in 751 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprits View Post
I'm so sorry, I know my excuse sounds weak, but the staffing might be short handed, and mail takes longer because of it, that was the reason for a while for us. The co's might take vacation around now, and mail just doesn't get out as early as other times
Honestly, i think this is the case more often than not. The imagination is great at conjuring up all kinds of ďtheyíre out to get usĒ scenarios, but the truth is, most prisons are understaffed and from an operational standpoint, the mailroom just isnít all that important.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:46 AM

Talk about the president and any other world leader............It's been two years now and he never got the letter and it wasn't that bad what I wrote.Obama was being friendly (perhaps even to friendly) to the Dutch queen. No harm meant but it seemed like they thought the world about it.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:20 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 25,416 Times in 13,079 Posts

One time my sister had written my hub a post card.
He had a co come up and ask him something to the effect of....do you have a relative that works for cdcr?
Hub was like......um, no.
He was then given the post card. After reading it, hub brought it back to the co who asked him about a relative and showed him they had misread my sisters handwriting.
I forget now what exactly was on the card......

So I guess, write neatly?

That's my dog's nose art

Old 11-12-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
I don't know, but as soon as I saw the little plastic baggie the post office puts damaged mail in sitting in my mailbox and saw how thin the envelope was, my heart fell through the asphalt. Brought it inside, took it out of the bag, and saw that the closing flap had been torn off and there was no sign whatsoever on the envelope that they even tried to seal it but that the adhesive didn't work right or anything like that. When I called up the mail room to see if the contents might be sitting somewhere, they said everything outside an envelope gets tossed. Hubby had had one of the people on his block make me something and then was moved to another block before he mailed my letter, so when the person on the mail room phone said "well maybe it can be resent," it took everything within me not to tell her off that that was impossible now.
I would assume that the postal service put it in the bag. So there really is no definitive answer on where it happened, no?
Old 11-12-2017, 09:33 AM

Thanked 1,469 Times in 965 Posts

My husband has never not received my mail except for the two times they gave my letter to another inmate. But I don't write about drugs or anything illegal. I know what not to write about. And his letters are sealed when he sends them out because they don't read outgoing mail.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Sunny View Post
I would assume that the postal service put it in the bag. So there really is no definitive answer on where it happened, no?
Looking at the envelope, it is very clear there was no attempt to seal it before it went out. The rest of the damage may have happened through the postal service, but the process started in the mail room when they sent out the envelope still wide open.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Looking at the envelope, it is very clear there was no attempt to seal it before it went out. The rest of the damage may have happened through the postal service, but the process started in the mail room when they sent out the envelope still wide open.
Is it regulation to leave their mail unsealed going out in PA? That's odd.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Sunny View Post
Is it regulation to leave their mail unsealed going out in PA? That's odd.
He's incarcerated in New York. I live in PA right now. I also spoke to the mail room about it and they said all mail that goes through there has to be open when it arrives in the mail room for them to inspect it before they send it out.