Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > VIRGINIA > Virginia Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Virginia Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information & questions relating to parole, probation or release in Virginia should be posted here.

Old 11-10-2017, 02:58 PM

Default My daughter is ill and needs to parole to CA, how do we do that?

Not quite sure how to do this.
My daughter is in prison in Virginia due to get out in 2018 she has cancer and needs to come to California
where her family lives
Does anyone have any information on how this works.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2017, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,479 Times in 10,033 Posts

She will need to contact her counselor about the Interstate Compact agreement. About six months before her out date, the process begins of the sending state contacting the receiving state about her conviction and post-conviction requirements, and the receiving state deciding on whether or not they want to take her on. (It's not as onerous as it sounds, but it does require a formal contract.)
Minor activist (11-12-2017), Patrickj (11-13-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 06:44 PM

Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,127 Posts

Actually she needs to see if they have compassionate release and if so file for that NOW not when she is getting released. Do you have a Hippa release if not have her do one. I don't know what to tell you except if you don't step in she won't have a chance against the system. If you wait till she gets paroled you may not have her ever come home. I lost my husband to undiagnosed cancer ans it was horrid to find out after that we could have done so much more to help him.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
miamac (11-13-2017), Patrickj (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 06:55 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,598 Times in 791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FawnLutton View Post
Not quite sure how to do this.
My daughter is in prison in Virginia due to get out in 2018 she has cancer and needs to come to California
where her family lives
Does anyone have any information on how this works.

Here is the link to the form which is require to start a compassionate release for some one that is terminally ill in Virginia Department of correction
https://vadoc.virginia.gov/about/pro.../800/820-1.pdf
Once you get some type of positive results from this procedure then you would start the Interstate Compact Here is there link here Since her family resides in California she may be able to get a mandatory transfer of supervision. Usually mandatory transfer require the person seeking transfer
to be a resident of California .Read the information at ICAOS . I haven't done a compassionate release Interstate Compact transfer in many years. I will go dig up what I have and contact a few of my contacts to see if there is a way to speed this up , once her compassionate application is approved. I will also research Virginia Department of Corrections to see what else I can find
miamac (11-13-2017), xolady (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickj View Post

Here is the link to the form which is require to start a compassionate release for some one that is terminally ill in Virginia Department of correction
https://vadoc.virginia.gov/about/pro.../800/820-1.pdf
Once you get some type of positive results from this procedure then you would start the Interstate Compact Here is there link here Since her family resides in California she may be able to get a mandatory transfer of supervision. Usually mandatory transfer require the person seeking transfer
to be a resident of California .Read the information at ICAOS . I haven't done a compassionate release Interstate Compact transfer in many years. I will go dig up what I have and contact a few of my contacts to see if there is a way to speed this up , once her compassionate application is approved. I will also research Virginia Department of Corrections to see what else I can find
OMG thank you for this I only wish I had known had sick my husband was and could have gotten him out sooner. I hate how f-ed up the system is and you have to take legal action to get medical help for anyone. God forbid they have no outside help.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
miamac (11-13-2017), Patrickj (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 08:34 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,598 Times in 791 Posts

In just a little reading on this subject . The OP can start the process their self.They may think about talking to an attorney familiar with Virginia law also.
I got caught up in the time difference thing today by the time I started doing some calling my sources that are in the eastern time zone went home, So I have to wait.
xolady (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickj View Post
In just a little reading on this subject . The OP can start the process their self.They may think about talking to an attorney familiar with Virginia law also.
I got caught up in the time difference thing today by the time I started doing some calling my sources that are in the eastern time zone went home, So I have to wait.
I know my husband had to be the one to initiate the process and by the time we even had a diagnosis there was no hope for his recovery, not to say everyone's the same but the information on this is so scarce, I honestly don't know of anyone besides my husband who ever got compassionate release. Really all it did was let him come home to die in peace, but that's all I wanted for him was not to suffer anymore then he already had.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,479 Times in 10,033 Posts

So, I think we need one clarification - is your daughter's cancer terminal, or is it simply (!) something that needs continued treatment when she gets out, treatment that you want her to get where she can have your support?
Patrickj (11-14-2017)