Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Jail Wedding Information Central
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Jail Wedding Information Central Everything about getting married in prison or jail. Notices, pictures, questions, stories, what to expect.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:37 PM

I can comment mostly from the immigration standpoint. I'm not aware of any exceptions for people who are incarcerated, but there are lots of other hoops. If you get a fiance visa, you have to marry within 90 days of arrival. Your USC (United States Citizen) has to sponsor you, so either he has to have significant assets (since he obviously has no income) or his family will have to sponsor you (form I-864). You will have to show that the marriage is in good faith. If you apply for your green card within two years of being married, then after two years you will have to apply for Removal of Conditions (form I-751) where you have to show that you have a legitimate marriage. The two principal factual tests are cohabitation and comingling of finances. You will of course not be able to cohabitate but showing you visited him as often as possible would probably be persuasive. While in the USA, you should probably have as many of your financial accounts in joint names as possible, and also show that you are supporting him to the maximum extent possible. Other indicative facts would be regular correspondence, acknowledging to your family and friends (both sides of the family) that you are married, demonstrating that you are planning for a life together after his release. At the same time, be very cautious about creating the impression that you are compensating him for his marrying you and enabling you to apply for residency. Marrying someone for compensation is an absolute guarantee to denial of immigration benefits (and possibly to a cell in the women's facility, although criminal prosecution is rare).
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2016, 08:16 AM

Default getting married in N.Y. State Prison

Hi, I am new here, I am from Germany and my fiance is inmate at Five Points. It would be nice to hear what country you are from. We want to get married in fall, my fiance is 32 yrs in prison, release date next summer. May be we can be of help to each other.
Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by dings View Post
my fiancé is an american inmate (illinois), we have contact since almost 10 years (through mail, phone, visits) and want to get married. i first thought it is not possible to marry while he's in custody, since i'm from abroad. but people told me different.

prison / county clerk / USCIS - all three of them gave us green light !
(well - you'll read more about USCIS later....)

this would be awesome - when i could live and work in the states already before his release - will make time run so much faster, since so i could go visit him every week.

but now - after starting to read the forms and documentations of the huuuuge amount of paperwork we have to go through.... i am no more sure if this really is possible.... but since i read here in the forum that people made it (and since also prison / county clerk / USCIS confirmed me) - it HAS to be possible !

but then - i had further questions to the instructions to the fiancée visa form I-129F - so talked again to the USCIS. and on this conversation the lady (in opposite to other people from USCIS before) told me:

"oh - murder it was ? so when he did comit murder - then he NEVER EVER will be able to apply for his wife to immigrate to the states! not even when he's released - and not even in 20 years!"

of course i had a huge shock then - she literally told me i would never ever be able to live in the same country as my husband (wedding is no problem - but the visa is)....... at least could i never live in the country through him.

well then after this huge shock - me and the family tried again to call USCIS - and they told us they have no clue why the lady said this - they never heard of that !

i also called other places like ice and state department.

from what i now know is - it is always a case-to-case desicion - it can not be said that since it was murder he never will be able to apply to bring his wife into his country.

he had enough punishment yet - he comit murder in gang-banging, when he was 17 - not even an adult. half of his life he was in prison - he is 34 now. he will come home in 3 years - after 20 years in prison.

how could they punish him even longer - for the rest of his life - not letting him be together with his love !

well i know - we just have to do step by step now and not give up - but what this lady told me - still so bad is in my bones - haven't got rid from the shock yet

what i want to know - did someone ever hear something like this ? that murderer never would be able to apply for immigration of his fiancée / wife ?

ah but once i read about a woman who got the greencard after marrying a lifer! (which quite sure must be a murderer also - what do you think?) so it definitely CAN be possible..... but maybe it depends from state to state......

i can at least be very glad that prison and county clerk do approve.......
Old 07-15-2016, 02:57 AM

I personally never heard about it, I think you should get in touch with a counsellor so that he will be able to help you out with this.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:58 AM

Miss A said it! Thats the rule
Old 11-16-2016, 11:20 PM

I didn't even consider that some weren't allowed, I was more preoccupied eith obtaining the right sizing for him.... also interested in 'fingerprint' engraving on the inside of band. How the hell im supposed to get his print, I'm also stuck on. Any feedback would be appreciated as far as the material, I was looking at 'tungsten'. It's some kind of crazy scratch resistant thing that seems unique.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:38 AM
Designated Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandera View Post
I didn't even consider that some weren't allowed, I was more preoccupied eith obtaining the right sizing for him.... also interested in 'fingerprint' engraving on the inside of band. How the hell im supposed to get his print, I'm also stuck on. Any feedback would be appreciated as far as the material, I was looking at 'tungsten'. It's some kind of crazy scratch resistant thing that seems unique.
I've seen some nice tungsten rings on Amazon for men. They're cheap, but durable. I say save your money up for the nicer fingerprint-engraved ring for when he gets out.

Hi! New Number, Who's This?
The Following User Says Thank You to only4love For This Useful Post:
bmoreicon (11-10-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 03:58 AM

Ladies who may come here for info here is my best after a rigorous search myself for rings. Google men's wedding bands under the shopping label. You can be as specific as you like, I search for rose gold $100 or less. My engagement ring came from Ice.com (double check details for clarity, quality, and stone type) where they also offer some financing. Wedding band from jewelryexchange.com. good luck ladies and gents!
The Following User Says Thank You to bmoreicon For This Useful Post:
angelbaby2417 (11-17-2017)