Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > PTO Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

PTO Lounge Come in... put your feet up and relax... talk about anything non-prison related! Hobbies, Books, Technical and Do it Yourself, Travel and more.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:36 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 13,820 Times in 5,322 Posts
Default Trump approves military surplus access for local police

Trump to reverse ban on local police using military equipment

"Attorney General Sessions is set to address the Fraternal Order of Police Monday, where itís believed he might unveil the new policy."Assets that would otherwise be scrapped can be re-purposed to help state, local and tribal law enforcement better protect public safety and reduce crime,Ē administration officials wrote in a document obtained by USA Today."
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2017, 07:17 AM

Thanked 3,964 Times in 2,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Trump to reverse ban on local police using military equipment

"Attorney General Sessions is set to address the Fraternal Order of Police Monday, where itís believed he might unveil the new policy."Assets that would otherwise be scrapped can be re-purposed to help state, local and tribal law enforcement better protect public safety and reduce crime,Ē administration officials wrote in a document obtained by USA Today."
This is pretty scary. I live in podunk and our police force make mayberry look sophisticated. I hope they have to be qualified to use this stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
patchouli (08-28-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 07:56 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 25,379 Times in 13,063 Posts

** I hope they have to be qualified to use this stuff.***

Me too.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
xolady (11-08-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 08:18 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,304 Times in 13,647 Posts

I believe its a giant step in the wrong direction....and it scares the hell outta me = tRump, Marshall Law, Military take-over, DICKtatorship....etc Think about. Seriously. This is not a good sign.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
miamac (08-28-2017), sidewalker (08-28-2017), xolady (08-29-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 09:06 AM

Thanked 9,748 Times in 5,501 Posts

One has to wonder if it would have occurred if not for the idiotic violence being perpetrated by antifa...they go out of their way to create problems of a violent nature as Berkeley I and II have shown...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
NeedA_Name (11-07-2017), WaitingWilkes (08-28-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 10:35 AM
attorney

Thanked 19,659 Times in 7,084 Posts

At least Antofagasta hasn't run into a crowd of people the way a trump supporter has....

You want to sling political dirt, go ahead. We can play that game. It is pointless on this forum where under Sessions and trump, most people here would suffer more. Longer drug sentences, worse conditions, etc, for prisoners and those convicted of crimes. No matter what the crime.

Now, if somebody wanted to get real about the subject, the question I'd have about the new policy is how does it differ from the old policy. Under Obama, plenty of decommissioned military equipment went to podunk town police forces as well as big cities alike. Long before the Klan crawled out from under its rock and BLM became a thing, assault vehicles were being painted a different color and delivered.

Is this just an extension of a policy, a revitalizing of a policy later abandoned by Obama, or is this an expansion of the policy such that weapons are being released to the police. To me, that is the pertinent question. We have not had a need to antiaifcraft guns in any of out jurisdictions outside of the military - if land mines and antiaircraft guns and the like are now in the hands of Maryberry, because you know, free weapons....
Old 08-28-2017, 11:25 AM

Police deserve to be as well armed as criminals.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:29 AM

Default Hide under your desks, kids!

[quote=yourself; ... Is this just an extension of a policy, a revitalizing of a policy later abandoned by Obama, or is this an expansion of the policy such that weapons are being released to the police. To me, that is the pertinent question. We have not had a need to antiaifcraft guns in any of out jurisdictions outside of the military - if land mines and antiaircraft guns and the like are now in the hands of Maryberry, because you know, free weapons....[/quote]

1,200 Surplus B1-B bombers armed with 100 megaton nuclear bombs have been transferred to the Mayberry Police Department.
The Following User Says Thank You to WaitingWilkes For This Useful Post:
xolady (08-29-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 12:18 PM
She's Home! Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,735 Times in 1,597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitingWilkes View Post

1,200 Surplus B1-B bombers armed with 100 megaton nuclear bombs have been transferred to the Mayberry Police Department.

Well. That escalated quickly.
The Colorblind Moderator (I'm not even going to try to use green down here, I'll embarass myself! LOL!) Currently assisting in all forums and actively monitoring Wives and Girlfriends in Prison and the California forums.

#ByeCDCR #TimesUp #HomeForChristmas
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to missingdee For This Useful Post:
WaitingWilkes (08-28-2017), xolady (08-29-2017), yourself (08-28-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 12:23 PM
attorney

Thanked 19,659 Times in 7,084 Posts

Quote:
Police deserve to be as well armed as criminals.
Yes, the Amon brothers taking siege of a national park reserve were pretty well armed. Don't remember seeing bazookas however. Don't remember seeing land mines, though I guess the could have improvised pressure cookers. And it's been a long time since I've even seen a WWII tank running down a street or in a used car lot.

We are talking vehicles for the most part that are a tax suck to the people of the community - they cost a ton to maintain, rip up streets with their weight, and have nothing to do with actual policing, or what the criminals have or don't have.

But, hey, you want to rip into an honest question, fine. You don't like me. If you can't actually discus the issue, stfu.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
miamac (08-28-2017), xolady (08-29-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingdee View Post
Well. That escalated quickly.
"The nukes are nice enough as far as they go," the Mayberry Police Chief told CNN talking head Wolf Blitzkrieg "but what we REALLY need are HEAVY WEAPONS"!
Old 08-28-2017, 01:19 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post
Is this just an extension of a policy, a revitalizing of a policy later abandoned by Obama, or is this an expansion of the policy such that weapons are being released to the police. To me, that is the pertinent question. We have not had a need to antiaifcraft guns in any of out jurisdictions outside of the military - if land mines and antiaircraft guns and the like are now in the hands of Maryberry, because you know, free weapons....
I haven't had to time to trace it properly, but if memory serves this goes back to Clinton era and "tough on crime". Military surplus and funding was used as incentive for cities to support measures that promised to rid them of drug problems. Well, we know where that went. And frankly, we know where it started. Under Obama it was abandoned (actually cut-off, if I'm not mistaken). Trump is Making America Great Again by force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
** I hope they have to be qualified to use this stuff.***
Me too.
And that was one of the issues in Round One. They weren't. You think you get attitude from LEO wielding a taser? Put them on a tank with military grade weapons.

I'm all for safety for our peace officers. Kevlar, proper firearm carry and training. Yes. Tanks? No.

We're just ticking things off the fascist checklist.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (08-28-2017), yourself (08-28-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I haven't had to time to trace it properly, but if memory serves this goes back to Clinton era and "tough on crime".
Correct! Slick Willie started the march toward nuclear tipped missiles in every squad car!
Old 08-28-2017, 02:29 PM

The Mayberry Police department respond to a jay waking incident: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/AH_TSKVa1VY/maxresdefault.jpg
Old 08-28-2017, 02:31 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Correct! Slick Willie started the march toward nuclear tipped missiles in every squad car!
I'm not sure why this is something to be made light of.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
yourself (08-28-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure why this is something to be made light of.
It became necessary to destroy Mayberry to save it. https://static.mydealz.de/live/comme...S/12450370.jpg
Old 08-28-2017, 02:49 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
One has to wonder if it would have occurred if not for the idiotic violence being perpetrated by antifa...they go out of their way to create problems of a violent nature as Berkeley I and II have shown...
Not directed at you, CTL, but I don't think some people know why or how the name came into play.

Antifa is short for anti-fascist. Not a bad thing to be. Antifa, as an action, does take the side of public disturbance as a way to push their message. I have a hard time supporting their actions, but I can absolutely understand their goal. Antifa traditionally focuses on corporate and capitalist targets. But them showing force against racist ideology isn't new, either. Last night I read this and I think it's the best example of why people feel that aggression toward the rise in neo-Nazism, racism, and hate is an appropriate reaction.

As I said in another post, this surplus thing started back in the Clinton era. The policy already existed, Trump is capitalizing on it.

If Antifa is being used as an excuse, then so is James Alex Fields and his ilk. In my eyes, and I don't think I've hesitated to say this in any of my posts, this is an end-goal under this administration. The political elite will stir the pot until we tear each other apart. So we either stop giving them the attention and power they seek, or we pick a side. Personally I'd like to see the first option. But now that bigotry has been given the big thumbs up again, is that enough?
Old 11-07-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
Speaking as someone with personal experience related to both groups, I have to second this post while also acknowledging that the people they stand against are just as guilty of causing problems. Not always of a violent nature, but problems nonetheless.

I can't go into details on what my personal experiences are or who I personally know in those groups, because, as someone who supports neither side yet has connections to both, I risk having both groups send their armies after me for even discussing them in the first place. If that alone doesn't tell you how bonkers both groups are, I don't know what will.

I was also raised in a cult church, and the thing that terrifies me the most about these groups is just how much they reek of the cult mentality.

Get out of the hive mindset. Think for yourself. It's not illegal.

...Yet...
The Following User Says Thank You to NeedA_Name For This Useful Post:
WaitingWilkes (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedA_Name View Post
... I was also raised in a cult church, and the thing that terrifies me the most about these groups is just how much they reek of the cult mentality. Get out of the hive mindset. Think for yourself. It's not illegal. ...Yet...
The issue de jour is never the issue with the far left. That's why they can never be placated or satisfied. The issue is always The Revolution.
The Following User Says Thank You to WaitingWilkes For This Useful Post:
NeedA_Name (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 05:39 PM
Ex-Prisoner & ACLU Intern
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,053 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedA_Name View Post
Speaking as someone with personal experience related to both groups, I have to second this post while also acknowledging that the people they stand against are just as guilty of causing problems. Not always of a violent nature, but problems nonetheless.
Yep. I do find it curious that certain right-wing media outlets keep harping about Antifa, but completely ignore the threat posed by the radical white nationalist / pro-Confederate / neo-Nazi groups they are protesting against.

Indeed, it takes two to tango, and these far-left and far-right groups rely on each other to keep each other motivated and wanting to fight.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
WaitingWilkes (11-09-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel Timer View Post
Indeed, it takes two to tango, and these far-left and far-right groups rely on each other to keep each other motivated and wanting to fight.
I used to work at a daycare. Watching those two groups go at it becomes even more depressing when you realize you've seen two years olds go at it on the playground in a more mature manner than they do.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NeedA_Name For This Useful Post:
Nickel Timer (11-07-2017), sidewalker (11-10-2017), xolady (11-08-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Yep. I do find it curious that certain right-wing media outlets keep harping about Antifa, but completely ignore the threat posed by the radical white nationalist / pro-Confederate / neo-Nazi groups they are protesting against.

Radical white nationalist / pro-Confederate / neo-Nazi groups have been around since the democrat party created the Klan.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:22 PM
Ex-Prisoner & ACLU Intern
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,053 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Radical white nationalist / pro-Confederate / neo-Nazi groups have been around since the democrat party created the Klan.
You mean all those southern Dixiecrats who became Republicans after LBJ signed the Civil Rights Act in 1964?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
miamac (11-09-2017), WaitingWilkes (11-09-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
You mean all those southern Dixiecrats who became Republicans after LBJ signed the Civil Rights Act in 1964?
Pretty much.