Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Headed to Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Headed to Prison Dedicated to those who are facing incarceration. What to expect; what you can do to prepare; Q&A's; support.

Old 10-31-2017, 12:07 PM

I'm in central va probably from nova looking at going to prison for the first time and far from a hardened person scared to death.

Origanly* from nova

I see this blog/forum is pretty old hope someone is out there.

Last edited by patchouli; 10-31-2017 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: Merged 3 consecutive posts :)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2017, 04:13 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,337 Times in 13,665 Posts

Hello & welcome to PTO! I've moved your post and given you your own thread in the Headed to Prison forum.

I'm guessing that you're still going through the court process....that in itself can be scary, especially if there is a possibility of prison. Hopefully it won't come to that, but if it does: its doable. Scary, but doable. Read as much as you can here in the Headed to Prison forum and in the Virginia forum (or Federal forum, if applicable). And ask any questions you may have
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (10-31-2017), Kpmva (10-31-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 04:38 PM
Ex-Prisoner & ACLU Intern
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,059 Times in 825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpmva View Post
going to prison for the first time and far from a hardened person
Take heart, OP. Most people who go to prison aren't hardened either. But we all adapt.

You'll be fine, and make it through a stronger person on the other side.

Last edited by Nickel Timer; 10-31-2017 at 04:41 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (10-31-2017), Kpmva (10-31-2017), priceam (11-01-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 05:28 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,196 Times in 10,380 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. Learn as much as you can about what to expect in advance. Inmate etiquette, how to interact with the other inmates and staff is very important. Ignore the TV shows that show the most bizarre prisoners. Apparently the more violence, the better the ratings. Millions of Americans are either in prison, or released from prison so you are one of many folks who face the same obstacles as you now are.

Try not to imagine problems. Deal with them as they actually happen instead.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:45 PM

Thanked 1,057 Times in 587 Posts

Follow fbopnomore's advice. Knowledge is the antidote to fear.
Kpmva (10-31-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 07:05 PM

Thanks for your post I have been trying to learn about the prison etiquette and have spoke with a few people that have been. From what I understand nothing can really prepare you for it. I am really anxious about going.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:15 PM

And I appreciate your advice fbopnomore as I find myself dwelling on certain situations I might find myself in and it's really been eating at my mind as I am skinny and have been my whole life I've been tryna to work out and gain weight unsucessfuly I am absolutely terrified. I really wish I would of listened to myself while continuing to engage in the same lifestyle. My charges are drug/marijuana related.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kpmva For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-01-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 07:49 PM

The people who get involved in sex and drugs and gangs and gambling will use up most of the drama leaving people like you with mostly boredom left over, from all I've read.

Keeping busy also helps keep you safe. Even the most useless class or program puts you in the company of people who are trying to improve themselves. That's safer company to be in.
fbopnomore (11-01-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 08:42 PM

That is a very good point minor activist I'm glad I contacted people on this site. You all are helping me to cope a bit better with this battle I've been having with myself in my mind.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:17 PM
OnparoleinTO

Many of us who went through this were also terrified before it happened - I certainly was. I got good advice from some guys I met in a support group who had recently been through the system - that helped a lot. The dangers are much less than popularly thought; the bigger issues are boredom, using your time to some advantage, maintaining relationships with family and friends, and getting yourself read for release (depending on length of sentence). Like just about everything else in life, you do get used to it. Much depends on your current circumstances re: family, supports, work history, etc. Some is, again like most of life, luck depending on who you happen to meet on the journey. But you will find on here many of us who've come through the other side. It's no picnic but it's not like TV, either.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onparoleinTO For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-01-2017), Minor activist (10-31-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 09:58 PM

Thanks for the advice onparolinto anything else you can provide is much appreciated at first I really had trouble coping with my current situation and had/am having a hard time grabbing onto hope that i will/can make it through this
Old 10-31-2017, 11:09 PM

I've seen at least one savvy person say it's a good idea to use the time before prison to learn yoga or meditation or breathing exercises, or just any kind of non-chemical stress reduction.

How long are you looking at? If it's more than a year or so, catch up on all your dental work now.
sidewalker (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 08:51 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 25,403 Times in 13,072 Posts

totally agree about any dental work you might need.

My hub was not *a hardened criminal* either.

Basic's: Dont gamble, dont owe anyone, mind your own business, choose *friends* wisely, Dont be too friendly with the guards. Follow the rules.
Learn to *read* the yard, avoid trouble if possible.
You might need to stand up for yourself and if it comes to that ya gotta do it. Hopefully none of that will happen.

I hope you can avoid prison. Personally I think the harder part is the not knowing.

That's my dog's nose art

Old 11-01-2017, 10:57 AM

Here's something that may help you. Drug charges? They'd have no reason to put you in one of the rougher prisons. Being locked up with serial drunk drivers and parole violators is better than lots of other things.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:26 PM

Thanked 3,968 Times in 2,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor activist View Post
Here's something that may help you. Drug charges? They'd have no reason to put you in one of the rougher prisons. Being locked up with serial drunk drivers and parole violators is better than lots of other things.
Some places like in Florida they house min-cm in same prisons in the same housing units. It's a mess, so I personally wouldn't get myself all psyched because my charges are drugs and not murder, you could end up in the same place. But from what I know generally if you mind your own business and don't borrow, steal, cheat, or get into gang stuff you should be ok.
Old 11-04-2017, 02:30 PM

Yea i appreciate all your responses, have been a few days since looking at the thread. I have went to the dentist a few days ago. And yea I hope I will go to a min security facility but if I get a long time or all of my charges from what I understand you get placed based on a point evaluation system not based on your charges. I will definitly try to mind my business as I'm not a problem starter or into gambling or anything like that but from what I've been told I inevitably will have to stand up for/defend myself I just hope it doesn't get out of hand or stand up for myself against the wrong person.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:23 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Sounds like its Federal, I provided the link to the Federal forum a few posts up (#2).

If you do get some prison time, there are some other things you can do ahead of time: appoint a POA; if you have no life insurance, get some - No, not for the reason that just popped in your head It may be hard to get once you're a *gasp* felon; write down addresses and phone numbers on a list that can be sent to you once you're settled; write down all your user names & passwords for when you get home; take lots of pictures that can be sent to you once you're settled.....I'm sure there are more "to do" things that others can/will think of for you

I just hope that we're putting the cart before the horse...
The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-05-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
Sounds like its Federal, I provided the link to the Federal forum a few posts up (#2).

If you do get some prison time, there are some other things you can do ahead of time: appoint a POA; if you have no life insurance, get some - No, not for the reason that just popped in your head It may be hard to get once you're a *gasp* felon; write down addresses and phone numbers on a list that can be sent to you once you're settled; write down all your user names & passwords for when you get home; take lots of pictures that can be sent to you once you're settled.....I'm sure there are more "to do" things that others can/will think of for you

I just hope that we're putting the cart before the horse...
Why do you say it sounds federal!!! Now I'm really scared .as far as I know it should remain at the state level but I wouldn't know this is my first experience with serious charges
Old 11-05-2017, 05:07 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,196 Times in 10,380 Posts

In my case, the feds elbowed the State out of the way by indicting me on the same charges the State had already started in their court. Luckily (LOL) the State then dismissed the case so I wasn't facing two cases for the same crime. Many times (more in the past than today what with the new surplus of federal Special Agents, prosecutors and Courts) law enforcement decided to avoid "dual prosecution" cases when the individual was already facing charges in State court, as a waste of resources.

Unless you embarrassed someone in the federal prosecution machine, or your case will result in much publicity, your case will probably remain only in State court, and one case is much better than having to face two.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 11-05-2017 at 05:09 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
Nickel Timer (11-05-2017), patchouli (11-05-2017), xolady (11-08-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 03:55 PM
PTO Administrator

Donation Award 

Quote:
...from what I understand you get placed based on a point evaluation system not based on your charges.
I didn't mean to freak you out Maybe your state sentences according to a point system....similar to Federal. I would think you'd know if your case is State or Federal. I'm sorry if upset you
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (11-06-2017), xolady (11-05-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 01:00 PM

I never lived a criminal lifestyle before I went, and Orange is the New Black came out right before I went. I think all my friends watched this and cried, "You're Piper" lol. Anyway, if you keep to yourself, and don't get involved in the drama, you'll be fine. You'll probably have some people that try to take advantage of you in the beginning (borrowing your stuff or asking for store) but stay firm to what you have. Share, but don't be a yes person to everyone. Eventually, people will lose interest with you and move onto real targets.

Remember, you're there to do your time and get back to your family. A lot of people have nothing to go back to, so prison IS their life. You're only visiting!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KaylaPaige For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-08-2017), xolady (11-08-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Why do you say it sounds federal!!! Now I'm really scared .as far as I know it should remain at the state level but I wouldn't know this is my first experience with serious charges
Don't worry, it sounded like it was federal when you mentioned points. That's how the federal system operates. Sometimes federal is better actually, it was in my case. Best of luck to you
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to de8er For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-09-2017), patchouli (11-08-2017)