Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > WEST VIRGINIA > West Virginia Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

West Virginia Parole, Probation & Release All information & questions relating to parole, probation or release in West Virginia should be posted here.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:15 PM

Default What happens when one refuses to take RSAT program

Hi Everyone, has anyones loved one ever been in prison and refused to take the rsat program? I was wondering what would happen, and if they would get written up for refusing the program?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2015, 08:22 PM
wvdonovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymichelle View Post
Hi Everyone, has anyones loved one ever been in prison and refused to take the rsat program? I was wondering what would happen, and if they would get written up for refusing the program?
They may not get wrote up, but it certainly will not look well when he goes before the Board. The RSAT program is really one of the finest models in the country, and if an inmate actually utilizes what he learns there and applies it on the outside, the chance of recidivism decreases.
rockymichelle (11-29-2015)
Old 09-29-2017, 11:26 AM

Default RSAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymichelle View Post

What is the RSAT program?
Old 11-07-2017, 09:47 AM

residential substance abuse treatment
Old 11-07-2017, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,451 Times in 10,023 Posts

The problem with refusing programming has two horns for your dilemma -

1) it's very likely that he won't earn good time if he refuses;

2) if he doesn't want to do a rehab program, I wouldn't hold out much hope for him getting/staying sober once he's out of confinement. That's something you have to think about yourself....you're going to be saddled with the chaos of having an addict in your life, and how far down your life that echoes is much more problematic than you might think, and none of it will be good.

Last edited by nimuay; 11-07-2017 at 02:56 PM..
Old 11-07-2017, 02:47 PM

Thanked 1,547 Times in 502 Posts

Shoving him through a treatment program that he isn't scratching and clawing to get into will do nothing but take that seat away from someone who wants to be in it and improve from it, waste money, and drop the stats that measure the program.

If he doesn't want to go, by all means, let someone else in there that wants to get better and let your guy be who he wants to be.

Treatment/rehab isn't something you do to a person. It's not something they get put through. It's something a person does for their self.

People talk about how 'the system ought to rehab prisoners' like there's a great big Rehab-O-Matic out back that they run people in one end and they pop out the other wanting to work 8-10 hours a day, stay home at night, and work in the yard on weekends.

Doesn't work like that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Straight For This Useful Post:
nimuay (11-07-2017), xolady (11-08-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 08:07 PM

"People talk about how 'the system ought to rehab prisoners' like there's a great big Rehab-O-Matic out back that they run people in one end and they pop out the other wanting to work 8-10 hours a day, stay home at night, and work in the yard on weekends."

LOL, that is a funny image. Now i have a big carwash type device in mind.

Now to the OP. As a teacher of young children I always taught them that if i request they do something (something reasonable and expected) and they refuse me that I will give them the right to refuse. BUT I also have the right to refuse when they want me to do something nice for them.

That's pretty much how it works with parole and other privileges in prison. If he shows no interest in doing anything to change the person he came in as then they have no reason to let him out on parole.

Parole is for people who HAVE shown initiative. After all you are asking them to grant you something and you don't usually get good stuff for free.

YOU should want him to go thru RSAT because it shows that he is trying to make amends and learn skills to have a better life with you when he gets out. He's sitting there not doing anything anyway so why not do it.

Be encouraging to him about taking classes. Go online and research RSAT so that you can tell him good things about it. That you you can understand what the program is all about so that you can have conversations about it.

He needs to understand that he needs to work to ensure the parole board has no reason to reject him. By not taking the course he is giving them a 100% legitimate reason to refuse him parole. They wont even want to waste their time with him.