Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEVADA > Nevada Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Info
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Nevada Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Info This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Nevada.

Old 12-23-2014, 02:50 PM

Exclamation FAQ: High Desert State Prison (HDSP) (been there done that)

Hello, I found this forum just being bored. I decided that I should start a thread with the in's and outs of HDSP. I will be as detailed as possible and if the MODS feel I put this in the wrong place please move it to the correct location.

It all begins while you are at county jail, for me it was CCDC. After being sentenced is when you really need to get your stuff together.

***At sentencing ask the lawyer for your PSI (Pre Sentence investigation)
This will come into play later. This is very important! IF you have it hold on to it for dear life. If you are too late ask your family to get a copy from the lawyer, public defender and mail it to you!****

They NEVER tell you what day you will be heading out. It took me 24 days from after sentencing to get shipped out. I worked out a deal with a cellie of mine gave him family's number and he did me the favor of calling them the day I left so they knew I was on my way. If you can't find someone to do this for you you may go up to 1.5 weeks without contact. Your family should know by this time you have been moved.

Day of movement.
They wake you up as if your going to court, but the C.O. says your going to prison gather your stuff. You can only take legal paperwork with you, no commissary. I had to mail back photos of my family because they were not allowed. However some C.O.'s do not mind if you take pictures. This falls on the luck of the draw.

30-45 minute ride to HDSP

Offloaded and moved to holding tank. Hear they will ask you for pant size, shirt size and shoes. You will will be issued 2 pants, 2 shirts 1 pair of shoes. In your laundry bay you will be given envelops blank paper and a pencil (not sharpened)

You will see the Nurse (any medical issues you may have or concern state them here, if not later on it will be a headache to have them follow up with you.)

Next you will see the SART team (counter gang team) they will ask you questions and take pictures of all your tattoos. Here is where they decided who you will be celled up with. here is a break down.

White
Paisas (latinos,hispanic non gang members)
South siders (hispanic latino gangs)
North siders (norteno gangs)
Blacks
Uses (asians)

There are subgroups but as long as you are within your race there is no issue.

Next you will see the Psychologist who will ask you background information in regards to your family life, your state of mind ect.

Next you are taken to a Case Worker who will ask you the same questions as the psychologist. They will tell you the charge(s) you will being time for. They will ask you at this point if you require Protective Custody. (If you are a child molester, Snitch, or Norteno gang member state this) Norteno gang members are moved to prisons in Northern NV. All others if you state you are fine you will get to walk the yard and run risk.

The case worker will assist you set up your account on the phone. However you will not be allowed to make any calls.

At this point you are taken back to a holding cell, fed lunch. Late afternoon you will be moved to the Fishtank.

Welcome to the FISHTANK:

If you are doing a long sentence for a violent crime the Fishtank will be you holding cell until you are moved to ELY so you can level down.

There is nothing to do in the fish tank. So let's begin.

If you have... a cellie here is where you need to present them with your PSI and they will give you theirs. You are to read it and now you know who your are dealing with.

Now remember those pencils they gave you without a tip start finding a way to sharpen it so you can write. LOL we found the fastest way was to bite the pencil until we could write. Write your family ect anyone blah blah blah (getting money on the phone and on your books will make life easier) If you have alot of money and doing extended time now is the time to order your TV. (takes about 60 days to get it once your on level 3 you'll get it)

Start making a "Car" which is a bag with a hole in it with some string through it so you can fish supplies from other cells. At the bottom of the door you have 1.5-2in" of clearance so this is how you send your car out to retrieve coffee, notes, newspaper ect. It also kills time.

Now imagine these are cells

1=2
----
3=4

Cells 1 & 2 are on the 2nd floor while 3 & 4 are on the first floor. These are your neighbors. You can speak to these people using the vent located above your sink. Try to keep convos short as some people like quiet. Use this to ask them if they have a commissary sheet. Ask for the product numbers of things you need from the store. Like 30360 was beef ramen noodle 00516 was Zest soap ect. Also helps you just kill time by speaking to people.

When food is served the "Porter" does all the movements, ask them who gets the newspaper and ask if you can get it. Everyone has newspapers sent in to them and they are passed around. You may get something a month old but it will keep you entertained for a while. Once done you send it to someone who hasn't read it and you get another newspaper in exchange.

One a blank piece of paper that they gave you make a "KITE" put your cell number, I.D. number and name date ect. Request any religious book you need. Even if your not religious when you get bored it will give you something to read. It takes about 4-5 days to get it.

Now you get to shower 1 every 3 days thats it. Now if you work out remember you are going to sweat and smell ask your cellie if it's ok or just work out on days when you shower. Or if you know how you can birdbath it, which is filling the sink with water standing over the toilet and showing like that. Just ask your cellie if there's no problem with it.

The toilet only flushes 1 time every 20 minutes. If you need to poop tell your cellie they will give you privacy either by looking away or by covering their face with a towel. If you pee before you flush wipe the seat down with toilet paper and ask if they need to use it.

In the fish tank you get the phone once a week. Each cell gets the phone for 30 minutes meaning if you have a cellie 15 mins each.

You can be in here anywhere from 15-70 days in the fishtank depending where you are going. If you already have a "back" number or have been in prison before you leave the tank faster. This is because they already know what security level you can be placed in. If. you ask for protective custody it may be longer as they shuffle people to find you a cell. If your going to CAMPs it takes about 30 days or sooner once they get enough people to fill the bus you are off.

1st timers takes about 21-30 days.

In the fish tank it will be boring...boring and boring....

You will be called out 1 time to see medical they will check your eyesight and dental health.

This means your almost out of the tank!!!!

A few days later you will called out by your ACTUAL caseworker. He/she will tell you where you are being sent, if you qualify directly to go to fire camp ect. Most will be sent to level 3 general population where they can request to be transferred. The caseworker will tell you to get in a program so your departure date does not move away from you. Every day you do nothing your release date moves away from you. You will also be told your parole date however keep in mind this number will also move farther away from you if you do not do anything. Mine moved 2 weeks from the date I was told by the case worker. Church does not count, being a worker or going to a school program does count. Church looks good for the parole board.

Now your case worker will tell you where you are going.
Go back to your cell pack your stuff up you are now leaving the fish tank.

I will continue this as level 3 in the same thread. Tomorrow 12/24/2014
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1sthand For This Useful Post:
Baer (12-23-2014), Britrdazahead13 (02-27-2015)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2015, 05:40 PM
Time well spent..

Very informative, thank you for that. I personally don't intend to do prison time anytime soon, but it tells me what my man went through when he got sent to prison in NV.
Wondering what happened to level 3 post that you promised us? ...
Old 10-24-2017, 01:39 AM

I realize that this post is 3 years old but most of this stuff is accurate. Only differences are to my knowledge your parole eligibility date doesn’t change whether you do anything or not and if you do choose to do something you have to complete it. For instance, if you start working on getting your ged and that takes 6 months and your parole eligibility date is in 2 months, you won’t be able to parole out because you’re in the ged program.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:38 AM

There has been A LOT of changes in HDSP since this post - new Warden who I think has made the place even worse, major staff shortages, regular lockdowns, phones not working properly - next to Ely this has to be the worse prison in NV
Old 10-25-2017, 03:32 AM

Really? My man told me the main problems he had in there was how long I take took, the fact that they segregate everyone by race, and the constant lockdown. And the C.Os arenít assholes compared to CCDC. I donít expect prison to roses and rainbows but from my what my man has told me itís not that bad.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judiwoo View Post
There has been A LOT of changes in HDSP since this post - new Warden who I think has made the place even worse, major staff shortages, regular lockdowns, phones not working properly - next to Ely this has to be the worse prison in NV
Do you know if theyíre getting rid of the parole board or is that just a rumor?
Old 10-25-2017, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMsT_ View Post
Do you know if theyíre getting rid of the parole board or is that just a rumor?
They have talked about it but I emailed the parole board and they said they knew nothing about it. It was to reduce the numbers of inmates in overcrowded prisons but they have now decided to ship some inmates out to private prisons instead - I think it's Arizona. It's going to be any out of State prisoners, gang leaders and a lot of the violent prisoners. This was in an article I read that the Director, James Dzurenda, gave to the Nevada Appeal.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Really? My man told me the main problems he had in there was how long I take took, the fact that they segregate everyone by race, and the constant lockdown. And the C.Os arenít assholes compared to CCDC. I donít expect prison to roses and rainbows but from my what my man has told me itís not that bad.
My husband also said that jail is worse than prison but compared to a lot of NDOC facilities HDSP is bad
Old 11-02-2017, 11:06 AM

Took my man 3+ months to get out of the fishtank and he only got the phone once a month IF he was lucky.

Last edited by annatretyakov; 11-02-2017 at 11:08 AM..
Old 11-04-2017, 02:43 AM

Update: I’ve talked to my fiancť more about what goes on HSDP and it sounds terrible. He’s getting transferred to southern desert hoping it will be better
Old 11-04-2017, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Update: Iíve talked to my fiancť more about what goes on HSDP and it sounds terrible. Heís getting transferred to southern desert hoping it will be better
Next to Ely HD is the worst prison in NDOC. My husband was talking to a guy whose been in there since it opened in 2000 and he said that the last year has been the worst in all that time. When they got a new Warden everyone thought things would be better but if anything it's worse. They have constant lockdowns and even though there has to be rules and regulations written down every CO seems to do it differently. My husband has been approved to move to Warm Springs but everything takes so long.