Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > General Health Care
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Health Care Prison Health Care.. Medical, medications and all that go with it related to health care in the prison system...

Old 09-28-2017, 11:25 PM

Post My advice as an ex-prison np

I tried it. I tried to work in a prison so I could make a difference. But there was no way I could. As a NP, I was the lowest on the totem pole. I couldnt order meds needed, treatments or anything. Everything was too expensive, not necessary ( wait-- I was the one tht went to medical school, not you Mr. CO!) but in the end, if I didnt quit, I would have been residing in one of the female cells. So now Im an advocate. And the mom of an incarcerated son. And I have a piece of advice.....

If you have a LO in the system, immediately get 2 things mailed to them to sign. You want them to sign a HIPPA form, and a NON-HIPPA form- and have it mailed back to you. Dont have them date it Dont have them write who its to. Just have them sign it, send it back to you and put it in your filing cabinet. ( a word of warning, most facilities dont like this... I had to print them off myself, and I mailed 5 of them, and my son only received 2.)

You want these for a few reasons- but most important, If you ever need to advocate for them regarding their health - you need this form. And Heaven forbid, if that time comes, youll never get one of those forms signed---So do it ahead of time. I keep the forms my son signed blank.( the originals) I have made copies and filled them out myself, one for the facility and one for the bigger "DOC" dept, and I mailed them in ( certified, of course) I did it with both the HIPPA and NON-HIPPA form. I have had to use them over the years, for a letter I had to write to an outside doctor he had for records, to the social worker to get a copy of his course work completed, to the security office when he failed a UA and I knew a possible false positive could happen because of a medication he was on.. I already had the releases signed. And it has made it easier. Hopefully youll never ever need it, but it makes things easier if you do!Thats just a helpful hint from someone thats been on both sides of the system.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Juniesgal For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (10-25-2017), Houlihan (11-12-2017), Hurley123 (09-29-2017), miamac (10-25-2017), Minor activist (09-28-2017), Ms Sunny (09-29-2017), Nickel Timer (10-03-2017), nimuay (09-29-2017), OnlyInTexas (11-19-2017), sidewalker (09-29-2017), Telica05 (10-26-2017), xolady (Yesterday)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2017, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniesgal View Post
I tried it. I tried to work in a prison so I could make a difference. But there was no way I could. As a NP, I was the lowest on the totem pole. I couldnt order meds needed, treatments or anything. Everything was too expensive, not necessary ( wait-- I was the one tht went to medical school, not you Mr. CO!) but in the end, if I didnt quit, I would have been residing in one of the female cells. So now Im an advocate. And the mom of an incarcerated son. And I have a piece of advice.....

If you have a LO in the system, immediately get 2 things mailed to them to sign. You want them to sign a HIPPA form, and a NON-HIPPA form- and have it mailed back to you. Dont have them date it Dont have them write who its to. Just have them sign it, send it back to you and put it in your filing cabinet. ( a word of warning, most facilities dont like this... I had to print them off myself, and I mailed 5 of them, and my son only received 2.)

You want these for a few reasons- but most important, If you ever need to advocate for them regarding their health - you need this form. And Heaven forbid, if that time comes, youll never get one of those forms signed---So do it ahead of time. I keep the forms my son signed blank.( the originals) I have made copies and filled them out myself, one for the facility and one for the bigger "DOC" dept, and I mailed them in ( certified, of course) I did it with both the HIPPA and NON-HIPPA form. I have had to use them over the years, for a letter I had to write to an outside doctor he had for records, to the social worker to get a copy of his course work completed, to the security office when he failed a UA and I knew a possible false positive could happen because of a medication he was on.. I already had the releases signed. And it has made it easier. Hopefully youll never ever need it, but it makes things easier if you do!Thats just a helpful hint from someone thats been on both sides of the system.
Thank you for this good bit of information. I myself worked at a prison as a nurse. Where you PHS (Public Health and Safety) ? I was a contract and tried for 3 years to help those in my care. Every day of those 3 years was difficult!, and heartbreaking! and arduous! My only consolation is that I TRIED, EVERY DAY to the best of my ability, to care for those men. Some will get to go home to their families one day because of interventions that were taken (because I fought for them). I was such a pain in the ass to our MD's and NP's!!! In the end I became emotionally and physically exhausted. The system is like a big federal stone that makes no sense and yet continues to grind down anyone that has an ounce of humanity in them.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hurley123 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-29-2017), Fridyrr.Likn (10-25-2017), miamac (10-25-2017), Nickel Timer (10-03-2017), nimuay (09-29-2017), sidewalker (09-29-2017), Telica05 (10-26-2017), xolady (Yesterday)
Old 10-25-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniesgal View Post

Dumb question, but if you're sending them the blank forms, can't we just have them sign them and leave them blank before they leave for prison so that we're ready if this is an issue? My husband is SS in December, so it seems prudent to have him sign the two forms prior to his leaving so I am ready if this becomes a problem. Or am I missing something?
Old 10-25-2017, 04:19 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,034 Times in 1,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk1 View Post
Dumb question, but if you're sending them the blank forms, can't we just have them sign them and leave them blank before they leave for prison so that we're ready if this is an issue? My husband is SS in December, so it seems prudent to have him sign the two forms prior to his leaving so I am ready if this becomes a problem. Or am I missing something?
Absolutely you can and should do this if you know they are going to prison in the case of SS. But many...probably most...don't know when they are going to prison. Or get picked up and sit in county until they go to prison.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fridyrr.Likn For This Useful Post:
xolady (Yesterday)
Old 10-25-2017, 04:36 PM

Default HIPAA Form

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridyrr.Likn View Post
Absolutely you can and should do this if you know they are going to prison in the case of SS. But many...probably most...don't know when they are going to prison. Or get picked up and sit in county until they go to prison.
Thanks, great advice. I found a Hipaa Authorization Form online, but what is a Non Hipaa Form? Would you mind posting a link to one? I can then see what it is and just print it out.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:45 PM

I'm an NP also but don't work in the prison system. However, I do volunteer for a prison activist group where my medical knowledge is utilized.

And...yes, I'm the Mom with a son who has been incarcerated 4 years now.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:30 PM
Liz

Have them sign a Health Care Power of Attorney and a Living Will too. For many years AZ gave out forms for inmates to sign which appointed the state giving DOC the ability to make decisions about their health care if the inmate was unable to do so. A suit required them to take that language out but did not require them to have the forms already signed replaced with a new one.

My son had been around me long enough that he declined to use their forms, waited for me to send him the HCPOA and Living Will. The prison did have a notary and state requirements vary so I had him sign with two witnesses and a notary. Originals sent back to me, copy for him to keep, copy for him to hand to any regular doctor, and copies provided to the prison. When he gave them to the prison, they weren't quite sure what to do with them and he told them put them in his permanent file.

When mail started coming to me with small bank account balance, a refund check from something, him needing me to communicate with the college he was getting classes from, deal with his attorney from a case in a prior state -
a General Durable Power of Attorney effective upon execution came in handy also. It depends on the circumstances, but that may also be something your loved one needs to sign.
The Following User Says Thank You to lizlizzie2 For This Useful Post:
xolady (Yesterday)
Old 11-19-2017, 05:54 PM

Yes, absolutely. Unfortunately, some people don't know to plan ahead, and/or are arrested and don't ever get to go home again before they are sent away, but if you have the opportunity to get your affairs in order, you 100% should.

My husband has taken care of all the POA for both Property and Health Care for himself and we had to make the changes on his mother's Estate Docs as well, because it had been him and now that he's not going to be available we had to change the language so that it is me.

One note also for people who may have restitution payments, or have other debts, to consider. If you may inherit money down the line, and you owe money to anyone, you definitely don't want them to automatically have the right to grab your inheritance. You should make sure you're not the beneficiary of that money. It's a catch-22 because you don't want to lose out on it either, so if you have minor children you can make them the beneficiaries, and you the trustee, so that the money is used for expenses related to them only, or you can place other restrictions on the money, you can put the money in trust, or other places, but you should most definitely not have money left to you personally if there is any chance it is just going to get taken away. The FLU has a long reach, however, the person who is leaving the bequest, can leave it to anyone they damn well please.

Aside from the POA stuff, your will should also be updated before you go away.
The Following User Says Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
xolady (Yesterday)