Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BECOMING INVOLVED > Prison Activism
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison Activism What's going on? How to become involved.

Old 08-31-2017, 06:28 PM

Default Stop prison extortion

I am looking for anyone interested in forming a group to stop the extortion of prison inmates and their families. Please contact me if you are interested.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2017, 07:51 PM

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,895 Posts

It is something that is inevitably going to occur, just as we are seeing predators engaging in looting in Houston, some of whom went across town to victimize persons and businesses (fortunately, they are being held without bail in many cases after arrest).

As to families, DON'T PAY IT. If you don't pay, they move elsewhere.

Those in custody who make the decision not to name names are ALSO part of the problem. A unit cannot properly investigate when someone won't say WHO is hogging them...
Old 08-31-2017, 08:10 PM
OnparoleinTO

Shavans - can you say more about what you have in mind? What would this group do?
Old 10-08-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onparoleinTO View Post
Shavans - can you say more about what you have in mind? What would this group do?
I'm up for suggestions. Anything we can do.
Old 10-08-2017, 05:53 PM
Owned

Thanked 3,922 Times in 1,799 Posts

Do you mean legal extortion such as expensive phone calls and charges to add money or do you mean the illegal extortion the con artists inmates do?

Last edited by safran; 10-08-2017 at 05:55 PM..
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to safran For This Useful Post:
dtmom2013 (10-10-2017), Hebrews12and1 (10-31-2017), Megamom (05-31-2018), Ms Sunny (01-14-2018), patchouli (10-08-2017), xolady (10-08-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 06:56 PM

Thanked 5,507 Times in 2,890 Posts

I think if anyone feeds into extortion then they can just deal with it alone, not my problem. But if it's the system extorting then any idea's are welcome.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:39 AM

When my son went in I sent him a secure package and then $50 a month. The next thing I know is my son is calling me and telling me I need to send western union $ to strangers and Walmart to Walmart or he's going to be hurt or killed. I sent him probably $600 over a three week period. I accused him of using inside but he said drugs are much more expensive than that. I am not a wealthy person. I live in an apartment and my bills are late because of this. He was finally moved and now wants a secure pack. I told him "no way, I'm not getting involved in this again", now he wont talk to me. I'm the last family member that will have anything to do with him. He has nobody. I'm so torn as to what is going on. Is there anyone that can lend some good advice. I really want to form a group to stomp this type of behavior out. Don't these inmates know that their not taking from my boy, their taking from me, and I've done done nothing wrong except try to provide for him. These lousy, scum, gang bangers should be shipped off to an island where they all have to deal with each other.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:43 AM

Thanked 5,507 Times in 2,890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shavans View Post
When my son went in I sent him a secure package and then $50 a month. The next thing I know is my son is calling me and telling me I need to send western union $ to strangers and Walmart to Walmart or he's going to be hurt or killed. I sent him probably $600 over a three week period. I accused him of using inside but he said drugs are much more expensive than that. I am not a wealthy person. I live in an apartment and my bills are late because of this. He was finally moved and now wants a secure pack. I told him "no way, I'm not getting involved in this again", now he wont talk to me. I'm the last family member that will have anything to do with him. He has nobody. I'm so torn as to what is going on. Is there anyone that can lend some good advice. I really want to form a group to stomp this type of behavior out. Don't these inmates know that their not taking from my boy, their taking from me, and I've done done nothing wrong except try to provide for him. These lousy, scum, gang bangers should be shipped off to an island where they all have to deal with each other.
Your son is the problem he's doing illegal stuff and you were helping.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (01-21-2018), miamac (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 12:08 PM

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,895 Posts

Quote:
I really want to form a group to stomp this type of behavior out. Don't these inmates know that their not taking from my boy, their taking from me, and I've done done nothing wrong except try to provide for him. These lousy, scum, gang bangers should be shipped off to an island where they all have to deal with each other.
1) as long as people keep paying, you are not going to stomp anything out. Those who pay are part OF the problem.

2) Those engaging in acts that are extortionate in nature don't give a damn about the impact on you...part of that whole 'criminal thing' in case you forgot.

3) He could have put a stop to it by reporting it in the beginning. Instead, he chose to jeopardize his liberty and your ability to visit by having you sending funds to third parties.

4) If he stops communicating, then that is an indicator that he was complicit in the conduct. It lends credence to the aforementioned claim that he is involved in activities that are, at a minimum, against the rules and, at worst, illegal.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (01-21-2018), miamac (01-14-2018), Ms Sunny (01-14-2018), xolady (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 02:27 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 18,162 Times in 6,616 Posts

Quote:
He was finally moved and now wants a secure pack. I told him "no way, I'm not getting involved in this again", now he wont talk to me. I'm the last family member that will have anything to do with him. He has nobody. I'm so torn as to what is going on. Is there anyone that can lend some good advice. I really want to form a group to stomp this type of behavior out. Don't these inmates know that their not taking from my boy, their taking from me, and I've done done nothing wrong except try to provide for him.
Your son is taking from you and letting you vilify others in order to meet his needs. Yes, extortion happens but smart inmates with nothing to hide bend over backward to limit their personal property and avoid association with predatory residents.
Quote:
These lousy, scum, gang bangers should be shipped off to an island where they all have to deal with each other.
And your Boyscout is in prison for...? My point is, you're pouring your energy into defending a guilty party. My guess is that you've done that for some time now and standing up to him exhausts you because he's manipulated you into seeing him as a victim. Until you decide that it's possible to love someone and not enable them, this is going to be a very lonely road.

Last edited by miamac; 01-14-2018 at 02:29 PM..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (01-21-2018), patchouli (01-14-2018), safran (01-14-2018), tglsmom (01-14-2018), xolady (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 04:17 PM

I was doing what I could to keep him safe at any cost. I agree he is where he should be. He needs to pay for his deeds but that doesn't meant that he should be threatened and bullied daily by a group of men. One on one I think he would be fine but these people don't work that way. Their cowards. He cant fight his way out of this and ratting people out is a death sentence.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:02 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 18,162 Times in 6,616 Posts

Quote:
I was doing what I could to keep him safe at any cost.
These are not random threats. Trust me. You said your son has a heroin addiction but that's not it because he told you drugs are more expensive? Mom, c'mon. Get thee to an Nar-anon meeting post haste. You love your son but you are actually putting him in far more danger by feeding his habit. You can put this back on the folks who are supplying his drugs all day long, that's not going to help your son. That's the definition of enabling.

I promise-- the more you choose to look outside for his problems, the greater the hardship on the both of you.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (01-21-2018), Ms Sunny (01-15-2018), tglsmom (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 05:31 PM

Thanked 3,893 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote:
I was doing what I could to keep him safe at any cost. I agree he is where he should be. He needs to pay for his deeds but that doesn't meant that he should be threatened and bullied daily by a group of men. One on one I think he would be fine but these people don't work that way. Their cowards. He cant fight his way out of this and ratting people out is a death sentence.
You're right - no one should be threatened or bullied at any time, but this is prison and it is not a normal world. Things can happen that we would never even think about and it can be very upsetting when we learn what goes on. I don't know if your son is innocent, partly responsible or fully responsible for the trouble he is having, but you would do yourself a big favor by realizing that you have absolutely no control over what happens. I know, as a mom, you want to keep him safe, but you have no control over that either. It is completely up to your son and if he feels threatened, perhaps he should ask for protective custody.

In the meantime, I would also urge you to go to a Nar-anon meeting to gain the strength and fortitude you will need as you move forward. Also, please check out the parent's forum here on PTO. Look back a few years when the site was more active and you will find a ton of advice on how to deal with our addict kids. It helped me tremendously .
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tglsmom For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (01-21-2018), gvalliant (01-15-2018), miamac (01-14-2018), Nickel Timer (01-15-2018), safran (01-14-2018)