Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Criminal Immigration Issues
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Criminal Immigration Issues Dealing with INS and other related issues.

Old 06-04-2017, 04:26 PM
Saibubba

Default Credit rating and job search

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
Hi Milena. No he cannot return to UK because he has gone down the fiance visa route and therefore his passport is stamped with a visa denial stamp from the New York UK embassy there. My lawyer said that he will be denied entry due to the stamp on his passport if he tries to re-enter because they will know his visa was denied and that he is likely therefore to be trying to re-enter to then stay illegally. He has gone through nearly a year of hell. As an ex felon he cannot rent, even working for places like wal mart are not allowed with a record. As an ex felon he has no credit rating so cannot get a credit card, do so much. He has no family, only me so is alone there. I thought it was hard when he was in prison but that was a walk in the park compared to this........ yes he basically flew into nothing...your analagy is correct.
In Virginia, the current correction/probation offices have people to help felons get jobs. Several contract companies and good will help find work. Even after my conviction and release (off probation) my credit rating is excellent. Goodwill has helped several of my friends from prison including sex offenders find steady employment. The probation office has connections to a few people who only hire ex-felons (They are ex-felons that run their own companies). please do not give up hope. I was in shock for almost a year after I was released. It is still no picnic, but it is better.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saibubba For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-04-2017), Jelly_Belly (06-05-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2017, 02:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by just1 View Post
Can someone please tell me if a US citizen with a felony record has any chance of moving to another country? Do any accept felonies?
Yes, a US citizen with a felony record can leave the United States and move to another country.

If you are a citizen of a country, you can enter and remain in that country even if you have a criminal record in the United States. If you are a citizen of a country that is a member of the European Union (EU), you can live and work in any EU country without having to obtain any sort of permission. I think there are now 28 nations that make up the European Union.

Many countries will offer citizenship to the children, grandchildren and even great grandchildren of people that were born in their countries. Ireland and Italy are two such countries. I know this because I am a dual national myself. I am a citizen of the US because I was born in the US. I am also a citizen of Ireland because I have family members that were born in Ireland. I now have two passports -- a US passport and an Irish passport. I use my US passport to enter the United States. I use my Irish passport for just about everything else, particularly when I am traveling in Europe.

My suggestion is to take a look at your family history and then begin researching whether you can obtain citizenship in another country. You might already be a citizen in another country without even knowing it. With a little work, you might be able to obtain citizenship in another country without first having to leave the United States. Believe me when I tell you that there are many advantages to having two passports. Good luck.

Please see:

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages...-birth-descent

http://ec.europa.eu/justice/citizen/

Last edited by Jelly_Belly; 06-05-2017 at 02:29 AM..
Old 06-05-2017, 07:20 AM
Saibubba

Default Irish decent

My sister has traced our Irish heritage back thru two different lines of the family tree. We truly believed that one of our great grandmothers was a native american, and it turned out that was not true, but the Irish ancestry is a good place to start to get a new passport. Thanks very much.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saibubba View Post
My sister has traced our Irish heritage back thru two different lines of the family tree. We truly believed that one of our great grandmothers was a native american, and it turned out that was not true, but the Irish ancestry is a good place to start to get a new passport. Thanks very much.
You're welcome. Good luck.

Last edited by Jelly_Belly; 06-05-2017 at 08:25 AM..
Old 06-05-2017, 08:26 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,030 Times in 988 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly_Belly View Post
Yes, a US citizen with a felony record can leave the United States and move to another country.

If you are a citizen of a country, you can enter and remain in that country even if you have a criminal record in the United States. If you are a citizen of a country that is a member of the European Union (EU), you can live and work in any EU country without having to obtain any sort of permission. I think there are now 28 nations that make up the European Union.

Many countries will offer citizenship to the children, grandchildren and even great grandchildren of people that were born in their countries. Ireland and Italy are two such countries. I know this because I am a dual national myself. I am a citizen of the US because I was born in the US. I am also a citizen of Ireland because I have family members that were born in Ireland. I now have two passports -- a US passport and an Irish passport. I use my US passport to enter the United States. I use my Irish passport for just about everything else, particularly when I am traveling in Europe.

My suggestion is to take a look at your family history and then begin researching whether you can obtain citizenship in another country. You might already be a citizen in another country without even knowing it. With a little work, you might be able to obtain citizenship in another country without first having to leave the United States. Believe me when I tell you that there are many advantages to having two passports. Good luck.

Please see:

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages...-birth-descent

http://ec.europa.eu/justice/citizen/
Thank you! This might come in pretty handy at one point.. my man is Scandinavian descent...
Jelly_Belly (06-05-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamenough View Post
I really think Canada and Australia are the 2 hardest for ex-felons to get into. Someone correct me if i'm wrong. Most of the central american countries could care less. As long as you have a passport fromt he country you are from yu are good to go. Your record does not follow you unless you are asked when trying to obtain residency. Here's a interesting situation. Say your loved one was in the US illegally and has a criminal record in the US...but is not a US resident...so your loved one gets deported back to his country and gets a passport from his birth country. then wants to travel. Well his birth country has no criminal record. What do you do when filling out a visa or residency application when asked about your criminal record. Since more than likely they wont be checking other countries for your criminal record. Something to think about.
It will really depend on the type of crime that was committed, murderers and sex offenders need not apply for immigration to Australia. Certain drug offenders will have a hard time getting a visa. Most people will have to get through a visa rather than a waiver program to come to Australia with a criminal conviction. Not to say it's not possible, it really weighs upon what type of crime you committed. It also then depends on the sentiments of the immigration department on the day.

Canada is even more tendentious in that they will stop people even with minor charges such as low range drink driving, that were once off, and happened several years ago. But that's not my particular business as I have no reasons or means to stay for any long period of time in Canada either now or in the future.

Whether you can stat or not? It really depends on the crime and the offender though. It's not smooth sailing and you can expect most of the visa waiver programs not to apply to convicted felons/criminals. Where a normal person would apply and be granted access to a country without a visa in most countries having a criminal record you will need a visa.

As to citizenship, I have an EU citizenship I cannot disavow myself from, not because I particularly want it, it's because the country in question does citizenship through right of blood. This causes all kinds of headaches though. Conscription is still legal in said country so if I spend more than 3 months in Europe at any one time I can find myself deported for military service. The wonders of things you never signed up for.

You ask yourself if the Greek government would really bother with over stayers who are Greek nationals by blood? Yes they would and have. It means I run the gauntlet every time I check in and out of Europe despite never having lived in Greece as a citizen full time. As a conscientious objector (pacifist) I have no interest in such things

Last edited by Roumelio; 09-15-2017 at 06:34 PM..