Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Criminal Immigration Issues
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Criminal Immigration Issues Dealing with INS and other related issues.

Old 07-30-2017, 01:11 AM
<-GE M-1000

Default Admittance into Canada for work

OK folks, here's the situation. I was told that my old conviction only had a 10 year shelf life and would not appear in Canadian records. WRONG!! As I was heading up to Niagara Falls, ON for some sightseeing, I got detained by Canadian Customs for 3 hours ending up being declared inadmissible because of my 20 YO arson conviction. They told me the only recourse I had was to get a "Certificate of Rehabilitation" from the Canadian Consulate in NYC in order to be able to cross the border. Now, the processing cost is $770 US and the timeframe ranges between 8 months to a year and even then no guarantees. Plus my particular case was from being railroaded into it in the first place! That being said, how do I approach this new task? Because I am hoping to drive motorcoach next year and I NEED to be able to cross the border.
Old 07-30-2017, 05:57 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,199 Times in 10,381 Posts

If you want to go to Canada, you will have to complete their "process" and hope that our formerly friendly neighbors to the north will permit it. I used to drive to Alaska regularly, but as long as I can still fly there, I refuse to go anywhere I'm not wanted, especially if it comes with a $770.00 application fee.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:10 AM
<-GE M-1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
If you want to go to Canada, you will have to complete their "process" and hope that our formerly friendly neighbors to the north will permit it. I used to drive to Alaska regularly, but as long as I can still fly there, I refuse to go anywhere I'm not wanted, especially if it comes with a $770.00 application fee.
My only saving grace is the length of time and nothing but some traffic tickets since then.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:54 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Then you may be approved in about a year, but minus $770.00.

One prime minister or one president can cause a huge amount of negative change (or positive, depending on your perspective) for an entire society.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:24 PM
<-GE M-1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Then you may be approved in about a year, but minus $770.00.

One prime minister or one president can cause a huge amount of negative change (or positive, depending on your perspective) for an entire society.
That plus the truth that I was wrongfully convicted, but because of a weak alibi witness, I wound up taking a plea. Now this means confronting the fire marshals once again. But this time, I would have the Buffalo Fire Department Division Chief and my attorney present. Perhaps some legal pressure would force a statement of admission from them which I need as proof of this.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:21 PM

Thanked 1,547 Times in 502 Posts

This "wrongfully convicted" approach is going to fall apart pretty fast.

When you took the plea, you convicted yourself. You are the one that said you did it.

Who are you going to try to blame for that? How can you claim they wrongfully convicted you after you told them you were guilty?

As for "legal pressure", I think you might have some high hopes there. Other than a term that will do little or nothing for you, what form does this grand "legal pressure" take?
Old 07-30-2017, 06:16 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

You will be asking the Canadian bureaucracy for a favor, thus the one year wait for an answer, and the exorbitant cost. I hope you are approved, but think about seeing Niagara Falls from the US side instead.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:20 PM

Thanked 9,773 Times in 5,511 Posts

The $770 is a drop in the bucket compared to what OP will waste chasing frivolous litigation trying to unwind an antique conviction through the appellate process...not to mention it will be faster to pay the Canuck fee.
The Following User Says Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
yourself (07-30-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 07:26 PM
attorney

Thanked 19,689 Times in 7,095 Posts

Fwiw, a friend and sociology professor got refused admittance to a convention in Canada where she'd been invited as a major speaker. Her crime? Drug possession, personal use amount, 30 years prior. It was a misdemeanor in CA at the time and it was a couple of joints or something. Canada takes a number of crimes very seriously, drugs and crimes of violence being high on that list. My friend didn't even remember the conviction, after all, she'd finished her degree, got her PhD with all that entails, got married, had a kid, got tenure, wrote a couple of books....
Old 07-30-2017, 08:13 PM
<-GE M-1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post
Fwiw, a friend and sociology professor got refused admittance to a convention in Canada where she'd been invited as a major speaker. Her crime? Drug possession, personal use amount, 30 years prior. It was a misdemeanor in CA at the time and it was a couple of joints or something. Canada takes a number of crimes very seriously, drugs and crimes of violence being high on that list. My friend didn't even remember the conviction, after all, she'd finished her degree, got her PhD with all that entails, got married, had a kid, got tenure, wrote a couple of books....
As I indicated in my other post, I'm not looking to overturn the conviction. I have to explain to Canadian Immigration the circumstances behind the conviction and I'm not about to lie about it. This is why I need a statement of admission from the BFD in order to back up my explanation.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:39 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,862 Times in 1,265 Posts

In cases I know of, 3 years is more likely the norm. The US treats Canada terribly, and this is one primary way of pushback. I don't blame them. If you are serious about getting a visa, I expect you will need to hire a lawyer or representative. At least they are willing to consider making exceptions, as opposed to Australia.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:51 AM
<-GE M-1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellisq View Post
In cases I know of, 3 years is more likely the norm. The US treats Canada terribly, and this is one primary way of pushback. I don't blame them. If you are serious about getting a visa, I expect you will need to hire a lawyer or representative. At least they are willing to consider making exceptions, as opposed to Australia.
It's not a visa, it is a Certificate of Rehabilitation. And the timeframe is between 8-12 months. In addition, I can get a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) So I can work sooner.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:59 AM
<-GE M-1000

Default There Goes My Tax Refund.

Looks like I may have this problem solved! I contacted an immigration attorney and he explained the entire process to me in a way for me to understand. Next February when it's tax time for me, I'm taking my refunds, plus whatever savings I build up, and retaining him to get this going. First thing is to get my Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) at the border crossing while I work on my Certificate of Rehabilitation. The TRP has a shelf life of three years so I'll be OK.
fbopnomore (07-31-2017)