Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > 911 > Prison Petitions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison Petitions Post all petitions here.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1986 View Post
As said before: Please do talk to families who have lost someone in there due to heat related problems. The son of one particular family had been complaining about heat related health problems but medical staff just told him there were too many complains and they can't tend to everyone. Not much later this son / husband and father of 2 passed away.
With regard to the military as well as to many other manual jobs there is a reason why those works are carried out by fit and healthy men in their 20s and 30s.
And just because it was easier to sweep "some unfortunate deaths" under the carpet before, doesn't mean it was right back then or today.
I congratulate everyone who doesn't suffer from the heat in summer on their good health condition but our society is not just about the strong. We moved from Darwinism to Democracy (allegedly). And just because there are people worse off doesn't make an injustice right. That's like telling someone dying of cancer that there are children in 3rd world countries that don't even make it to their age ... it doesn't help anyone and two wrongs don't make it right.
Great points! Pretty sure we moved to Democracy, one person here sure disagrees but whatever. And yes, going to prison and losing ones freedoms and rights IS the 'punishment' and I don't think anyone here is advocating 68 degrees, more like get the temperature to mid-80's. Huge difference b/t 105 and 85. Not asking for the moon, just a little break from hellish temps. Tempers rise along with the heat index, for guards and inmates alike so safety is also an issue when it comes to extreme temps in an enclosed environment. Safety for all involved is the main objective 24/7 or should be.
okielove (09-01-2016), Sara1986 (09-01-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2016, 10:48 PM

I signed the petition and will share this with my family and friends. The ones that knew my loved one was in TDCJ were shocked that there is no A/C much less ventilation! It is important to share this because most will jump on board to voice that this is cruel and change is needed.
The Following User Says Thank You to BB's Mom Too For This Useful Post:
Sara1986 (09-05-2016)
Old 09-24-2016, 09:42 AM

I'm thinking we should also start a petition regarding overcrowding or respectively the size of the cells. My LO is currently in a 5x10 cell with another offender, so most of the space is occupied by the two beds (so it's basically a box with hardly enough space to lie down and no ventilation). This is a violation of the ACA's and the American Public Health Association's recommendations, who demand a minimum of 50 square feet for each inmate. What is your experience concerning this issue?
Old 06-27-2017, 12:11 PM

If any of your LOs become aware of a situation where the TDCJ Heat Directive is not being followed, report it here: https://actionnetwork.org/forms/tdcj...nt-survey-2017
Remember we have to keep the pressure up Thanks everyone!
Old 06-27-2017, 12:46 PM

Thanked 1,629 Times in 616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1986 View Post
I'm thinking we should also start a petition regarding overcrowding or respectively the size of the cells. My LO is currently in a 5x10 cell with another offender, so most of the space is occupied by the two beds (so it's basically a box with hardly enough space to lie down and no ventilation). This is a violation of the ACA's and the American Public Health Association's recommendations, who demand a minimum of 50 square feet for each inmate. What is your experience concerning this issue?
Aren't the facilities inspected to see they meet the proper space requirements? I can see if these are temporary cells but if they are permanent structures wouldn't they have to be approved?
Old 06-27-2017, 02:14 PM

Thanked 1,058 Times in 588 Posts

ACA accreditation is voluntary. The prison would have to ask for it and pay for it to get an ACA inspection.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:40 PM

Thanked 9,777 Times in 5,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Aren't the facilities inspected to see they meet the proper space requirements? I can see if these are temporary cells but if they are permanent structures wouldn't they have to be approved?
Given the Core standard from the ACA, 25 feet satisfies their requirement in a double-cell environment. https://www.bia.gov/cs/groups/public.../idc012203.pdf

Further, for double-celling to occur in Texas, it is general population. As such, there is a substantial amount of time spent OUTSIDE of the cell.

Remember also that these are cells that existed during the Ruiz litigation and passed federal court muster...new construction is larger but also often results in a less-than-ideal housing facility given that units like Ellis actually have stable populations and far more opportunity than most of the Michael-type construction. Ironically, it is also often on the newer construction (post-1985) that most of the complaints about conditions tend to emanate.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:34 PM

Id rather be in Tent City than that,but I gave up my rights to an opinion when I broke the Law.I guess?