Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Criminal Legal Help!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Criminal Legal Help! Ask questions, get opinions, and find resources on dealing with criminal justice legal issues, appeals, and more..

Old 01-18-2017, 11:05 PM

I was just released from prison in Ohio, on New Year's day. I am looking for a contingency fee lawyer for a due process constitutional rights violation. I am hoping to find one who has tangled with the Ohio drc before. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome. Thank you all.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2017, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,480 Times in 10,034 Posts

Willie, your chances are slim, but check with the ACLU, your state Bar and local law schools. They've got the best info about your locality.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:26 AM

Great list. Good to have it i am bookmarking it...
The Following User Says Thank You to davidbilly For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-24-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 07:37 AM

Most private lawyers disregard contingency cases (unless this is a well documented personal injury case). They hate investing money (billable hours) into something with a vague outcome. So seek specialty lists (pro bono etc.) from your local chapter of any criminal defense lawyers association (i.e. National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers)
Old 04-17-2017, 08:33 PM

Angry NEED Federal Appellate Lawyer in Midland Texas area

Does anyone know of any in this area doing Pro Bono cases? Thank you for any information as my friend has been in jail for a year and sentenced to 100 months for marijuana possession and violation of gun laws that he did not break

Old 04-17-2017, 08:55 PM
attorney

Thanked 19,689 Times in 7,095 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaRose703 View Post
Does anyone know of any in this area doing Pro Bono cases? Thank you for any information as my friend has been in jail for a year and sentenced to 100 months for marijuana possession and violation of gun laws that he did not break

1. Did he plead?
2. If not, what's the status of his direct appeal?
Old 05-05-2017, 10:54 PM

Any attorneys in or around Ft. Worth?

Old 05-05-2017, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Ask your local Bar Association or University Law School.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:20 AM

Any Pro Bono Attorney's in Florida????
Old 05-07-2017, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

See post above - re law schools and Bar Association.
Old 05-07-2017, 03:56 PM
attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGordaDelGordo View Post
Any Pro Bono Attorney's in Florida????
you really have to narrow your subject down a bit. Are we talking pro bono divorce? pro bono contract disputes? pro bono habeas corpus attorneys?

there's a sticky about finding attorneys attached to this forum. Use it.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:01 PM

Pro bono habeas corpus preferably in spanish

QUOTE=yourself;7627171]you really have to narrow your subject down a bit. Are we talking pro bono divorce? pro bono contract disputes? pro bono habeas corpus attorneys?

there's a sticky about finding attorneys attached to this forum. Use it.[/quote]
Old 05-08-2017, 03:41 PM
Be a voice Not an echo

Hi all I have a question:

My bf's mum passed away in 2015 and since then he has been trying to get his share of his inheritance from his brother. my bf's dad is his power of attorney but has been unable to successfully talk to him about giving to him as requested by my bf.

My bf has asked me to look up any attorneys that may take it on a commission basis from the money his is entitled to... I am a bit lost as to where I should ask and look as I am not up on how American law works, he is in Michigan. Any help will be grateful thanks

Old 05-08-2017, 05:07 PM
attorney

start by finding out if he's due anything - a copy of the will should be submitted tot he court. Further, an executor should be named to distribute the estate. It's the executor who should be sued.

It should be noted that there's a waiting period - her creditors must be paid first. Further, instructions based upon the will need to be followed, so if there's a house, it's gotta be sold. He's not going to get things piecemeal. There will be a distribution all at once, assuming he's actually entitled to anything.

Oh, and if he is entitled to something, it could be used as the principle to load a trust in his benefit that may trickle in funds to his account, or be waiting for him once out, or can only be used for educational purposes, or whatever the purpose of the trust document states it is.

It all depends on the language of the will. If no will exists, intestate transfer. He's going to have to have somebody use legal aid in his area to help with that one, assuming the estate doesn't amount to much (under the statutory limit for taxation or there about).
The Following User Says Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
AussieAngel (05-09-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 06:45 PM

I'm literally new to PT I'm not sure how to navigate around

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post
you really have to narrow your subject down a bit. Are we talking pro bono divorce? pro bono contract disputes? pro bono habeas corpus attorneys?

there's a sticky about finding attorneys attached to this forum. Use it.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

Stickies are always at the top of a forum. They're the threads/posts we think are so important that they shouldn't get lost in the shuffle, so they stay 'stuck' to the top of the page.

You have to go back to the first page of this thread (scroll up, look down below the header and look for the page numbers - click 'first' or '1') The bolded "Sticky" will show on the left side, and each title will tell you the content.

Last edited by nimuay; 05-08-2017 at 09:21 PM..
Old 05-09-2017, 03:40 AM
Be a voice Not an echo

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post
start by finding out if he's due anything - a copy of the will should be submitted tot he court. Further, an executor should be named to distribute the estate. It's the executor who should be sued.

It should be noted that there's a waiting period - her creditors must be paid first. Further, instructions based upon the will need to be followed, so if there's a house, it's gotta be sold. He's not going to get things piecemeal. There will be a distribution all at once, assuming he's actually entitled to anything.

Oh, and if he is entitled to something, it could be used as the principle to load a trust in his benefit that may trickle in funds to his account, or be waiting for him once out, or can only be used for educational purposes, or whatever the purpose of the trust document states it is.

It all depends on the language of the will. If no will exists, intestate transfer. He's going to have to have somebody use legal aid in his area to help with that one, assuming the estate doesn't amount to much (under the statutory limit for taxation or there about).

Oh thanks so much this helps heaps.
As far as I know estate has been sold and his relatives have had their money distributed by her executor (her son, my bf brother) all except his and his other brothers money. They are both incarcerated but his other brother has request at times small portions from the executor of his share and they have been transferred to him which I guess is why my bf is mad as he has asked the same and getting no where.
Thanks again I will start there

Old 05-09-2017, 09:32 AM
attorney

Most states have pretty decent self help for probate matters. I'd start there and send you bf the forms and docs
The Following User Says Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
AussieAngel (05-09-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 03:50 AM

Default Pro bono

I husband got arresIf want meet I can after 4ted today we need a pro Bono attorney in minnesota I'm
To represent him in dwi case and sex crime case
Old 05-29-2017, 05:32 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,199 Times in 10,381 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. If you can't find a pro bono lawyer, he will be appointed counsel by the judge.

The beginning, when nothing is known about what will happen, is always a very difficult time. but try to be patient until you know more. Here's a link to the Minnesota prison forums.
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=150
Old 05-29-2017, 06:32 AM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 6,439 Times in 2,934 Posts

Hi there your husband will be appointed counsel if you are unable to find pro bono as fbopnomore says and make sure you get some support for yourself. It must be a very difficult time for you.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army
Old 05-29-2017, 07:24 AM

Thanked 9,773 Times in 5,511 Posts

There isn't a lot of pro bono work in the criminal defense realm. Where it DOES exist, it is often on a case with a very unique issue. A routine DWI doesn't get someone willing to invest the time for free...especially with a sex crime on top of the DWI.

If someone cannot afford counsel on a felony, then they will be appointed counsel by the Court.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
bellisq (05-29-2017), Nickel Timer (05-29-2017)
Old 06-03-2017, 02:53 PM

I'm personally seeking assistance from a pro Bono lawyer that would help my husband so far I haven't had any luck and quite frankly I'm not sure if I'm looking in the right place
Old 06-15-2017, 11:32 PM

Can they help with early release for state?

Old 06-16-2017, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashnmario View Post
I'm personally seeking assistance from a pro Bono lawyer that would help my husband so far I haven't had any luck and quite frankly I'm not sure if I'm looking in the right place
Go back up to the top of this forum and read the stickies. You'll find one on how to find a lawyer.

Can they help with early release for state?
Not unless you've got a long lead time for that early release. They're taking time out of their money-making week to do any of these pro bono cases, so unless you have a really interesting issue, one they can write up for a law journal or other legal publication, they're not going to be terribly involved in your case.

Last edited by nimuay; 06-16-2017 at 11:32 AM..