Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Criminal Legal Help!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Criminal Legal Help! Ask questions, get opinions, and find resources on dealing with criminal justice legal issues, appeals, and more..

Old 04-17-2013, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImzadiValentine View Post
I hope I didn't screw up my husbands case because the police cornered me, Literally held me in a hallway and told me stuff that probably wasn't true in order to get me to say bad things about my husband. I really hope they can't make me testify against him because I won't.
Also, I am going to tell my children NEVER to talk to a cop EVER. I can see it now, my kindergratener telling the cop "I need an attorney" when they ask "What's your name?" It makes me laugh but that is what I am going to teach my children, when I have them.
They cannot make you testify against your husband unless it is a domestic violence case in which you called them yourself.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2013, 12:12 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,314 Times in 13,653 Posts

Quote:
They cannot make you testify against your husband unless it is a domestic violence case in which you called them yourself.
That's not exactly true. Spousal Privilege can be complicated and there are more exceptions than just the one you list. Its always important to demand an attorney if questioned by the police and to not rely on what you believe you can/cannot say/do.

Last edited by patchouli; 04-18-2013 at 12:13 AM..
Old 02-11-2014, 10:24 PM

i got in more trouble than necessary because i naively thought if i was honest, forthright, etc.... walked right into the trap (not that I would have gotten off if I hadn't talked, but at least made them work for it a bit).

sillyness. this vid should be required viewing everywhere.
The Following User Says Thank You to stan_dr For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-12-2014)
Old 04-05-2014, 02:32 PM
Donation Award 

I guess my question is, I am guilty, there is proof I am guilty, I know I am going to jail because I have 3 prior felonies....I thought talking to the police and cooperating would be easier and look more favorable for me than being hard-headed. BTW, I will not have an attorney until I go to court, because I need a public defender, so I won't have anyone to talk to in advance. Since I cant afford bail, it will mean sitting in the jail and seeing the PD when he decides he has time.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:47 PM
attorney

Thanked 19,663 Times in 7,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybred4492 View Post
I guess my question is, I am guilty, there is proof I am guilty, I know I am going to jail because I have 3 prior felonies....I thought talking to the police and cooperating would be easier and look more favorable for me than being hard-headed. BTW, I will not have an attorney until I go to court, because I need a public defender, so I won't have anyone to talk to in advance. Since I cant afford bail, it will mean sitting in the jail and seeing the PD when he decides he has time.
what are you guilty of? btw, that's a rhetorical question. If you talk with the police without an attorney, you will make a statement that makes your facts fit the crime they want to charge you with. This is not a good thing because your facts may not fit the charge. Example - Dude kills Guy. LEO starts questioning Dude without an attorney present. LEO asks questions and obtains responses to fit a first degree murder charge. When Dude actually talks with a lawyer, lawyer finds that it's more a manslaughter, but now Dude has a confession to first degree murder to contend with, and facts already twisted to meet the definition of first degree murder. The difference in terms of time is astonishing.

Here's the other thing - you don't have to talk with LEO without an attorney present. If they don't let you go, you're functionally under an arrest and can demand an attorney, and a PD will be appointed for you. Yes, sure, things will be formalized once the court's involved and you have a case number and fill out a financial affidavit. But, you can still demand an attorney. If they don't give you one, you can and should leave. Might take some time to find you one, depending on when you go to talk with them, but if you make a demand, they have to supply you one. "If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed to you". Exercise your 5th amendment right. Compliance? pft - who cares if you're compliant if you dig yourself a deeper grave?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (04-06-2014), LifeTraveler (04-06-2014), Nickel Timer (04-16-2014), sidewalker (04-16-2014)
Old 01-21-2016, 03:16 PM

These videos are great.

Make your children watch them, too, especially boys.

If you can't get them to do that, have a talk, once they get to be about 11 or 12.

Tell them that the police are not their friends; don't schmooze with the police, especially when they're on duty. Tell them that if the cops start asking them details about what they did, when they did it, who they were with, tell them to say they need to talk to a lawyer, or, at the very least, to you first.

Tell them that the dangerous cops are the ones that get you to talk.

Tell them that their rights are their rights, regardless of the size of their boobs, brains or bank accounts, including their right to remain silent.

Tell them never to go to the station and answer a few questions without a lawyer.

Tell them that if they have friends who like to engage in rough activity to abandon those friends. (This is tough, I know. Your own advice is hardest to follow.) Tell them that if someone dies in the course of "bad [stuff]" they can be criminally liable just like the person who actually did the killing, even if they didn't have a knife, or a gun, or other weapon. Even if the killing is arguably accidental. Tell them that a fight to stay out of prison is for someone else, not them.

Tell them to not be paranoid, just careful.

If your sons' friends will listen, tell them too.

(Others, if you want, add?)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Abner For This Useful Post:
LifeTraveler (01-21-2016), nimuay (07-12-2016), sidewalker (01-28-2016)
Old 07-06-2016, 10:09 PM

I remember watching this video years ago... this should be required for everybody. I can't believe some of the things that they are allowed to do.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to additup For This Useful Post:
Jelly_Belly (05-18-2017), nimuay (07-12-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 12:28 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,587 Times in 787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by additup View Post
I remember watching this video years ago... this should be required for everybody. I can't believe some of the things that they are allowed to do.
Remember what the one person said. "You are not going to talk yourself out of the police station". It would be so nice if everyone would just remember this when they are being questioned by the police .
Jelly_Belly (05-18-2017), nimuay (07-12-2016), sidewalker (07-30-2016)
Old 02-20-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickj View Post
Remember what the one person said. "You are not going to talk yourself out of the police station". It would be so nice if everyone would just remember this when they are being questioned by the police .
Great videos. Never a good idea to talk about your case to anyone except to your legal counsel. Everything you tol the police officer and/or investigators will be used against you - whether they violated Miranda rights or not.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arkady For This Useful Post:
Jelly_Belly (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 06:32 AM
Banned

This is a such a great video. I love the advice that the law professor gives: Whenever the police want to question you, politely and calmly say two things: (1) "I am going to remain silent in accordance with my Fifth Amendment rights;" and (2) "I would like to have a lawyer present while I am being questioned." I would suggest that you also tell the officer that "I do not consent to any searches or seizures." Repeat as often as necessary. Cops have a tendency of developing poor hearing whenever someone lawyers-up so you might have to raise your voice a bit.

Some more free advice, for what it's worth: Be polite. Don't physically resist the officer. Show ID to the officer if he or she requests to see it. Only tell the officer your name, address, date of birth and Social Security number. Obey all lawful orders (e.g., "Place your hands behind your back.") Don't be intimidated by the cops. Remember that it is legal for them to lie to you. If you lie to them, however, about any matter, you can be charged with a felony. Again, it better not to speak with them at all. Ask the officer often if you are free to leave. If the officer says that you are free to leave, immediately walk away without saying a single word. Walk away no matter how rudely or improperly the officer may have treated you. Don't argue with the police. On the street is not the place to make a complaint about the way you were treated by a rude or unprofessional cop.

Last edited by Jelly_Belly; 05-18-2017 at 06:35 AM..