Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BECOMING INVOLVED > Prison Activism
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison Activism What's going on? How to become involved.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:46 AM
lady d

Default Fight against inmate abuse

I want people to help stand up and say enough stop mistreatment of inmates:

NYS DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTIONS UNDER FIRE FOR ABUSE OF INMATES

I’m go to start this with a quote from the department of corrections own hand book on ASAT/ CASAT programs, where they say:

Harassment or discrimination and retaliation against the complaining inmate is not allowed but it happens. And is tolerated…. The officer threatens the inmate in retaliation for filing a complaint other correction officers know about the harassment but will not say anything. Or report the threatening behavior, harassment, against an inmate. Instead they look the other way and no matter how it will affect the inmate they must agree with the officer. Inmates could end up with added time but it will not matter to them.”

So I will began my letter by saying that the department of corrections is the biggest disappointment
we have in our Government.

Any time correction officers can be made to feel it is alright to beat, harass or threaten some one for no reason and when they are not held accountable for their actions and feel they can do that and get away with it and no one will do anything about it or even care.
Then it’s time for someone to step in and say: “Hey! You have to answer to some one for your actions and the wrong you do.”

How can we allow this to go on unjustified when they are responsible for inmates, Yes they committed a crime but is it not a crime to assault and threaten someone, what makes one right and the other wrong? we put inmates in jail for their crimes why are correction officers allowed to go unpunished for theirs?,
Why do we let Correction officers walk around free, after beating and threatening an inmate and feel they are above the law?

The double standards that we are willing to live by in allowing correction officers to go unaccountable is unjustified and as humans we need to change and take a stand . Maybe justice is blind but is she also inhuman

Well I for one am taking a stand and will do all and anything I can to expose the abuse in our correctional facilities and the New York State Department of corrections for allowing it to go on unpunished.
Where in the USA has it become law that because of the color of your skin, or when you come from poor neighborhoods that you can be mistreated and beaten, threaten and abused because someone don’t like you or where you came from.

“Well it’s not ok, it’s not right and we should not stand by while it continues to happens.” “Where are the rights of the people?”

We need to open our eyes and open the eyes of everyone who didn’t know what is happening in the ny state facilities or who didn’t look the other way because it’s easier then rocking the boat.

Inmates have their rights violated all the time and it has become routine. is just insane thinking, No human should have to go through that nor be made or forced to live in fear of someone who has the responsibility of watching over you.

“Something needs to be done, someone has to be accountable.”
Now this is a clear case of abuse of power, and clearly physical abuse and mental abuse.

Where dose the Department of corrections come off not caring about what happens to the people placed with them, and why are they not accountable for their abusive ways, it is not an isolated situation many of the correctional facilities that the city and New York State run . They need to answer for this to someone because if they are allowed to continue this way why put people behind bars when criminals like correction offices are walking around free of their crimes.

I don’t have all the answers but I do have the complaints and calling Albany don’t help they don’t want to get involved it’s not their problem they say, they can’t get involved not even investigate well some one better do some thing and believe me I will not stop writing and making people take notice about what is going on.
“I will begin to name facilities and officers names”
enough is enough and now it’s time to stand up and make the officials take notice and do something.
“It’s getting out of hand and out of control,”

Too many times inmates pay more then their dues because officers have no respect or concern for human rights, because they wear a badge and have the power to do what ever they want……..

Get this out to as many as you can i am fighting to get help for our loved one's
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to lady winifred For This Useful Post:
Brown333 (02-19-2009), Chynab (02-19-2009), Huskers (07-24-2016), lindajean (12-21-2008), Mimzy (03-19-2017), pebblesp63 (03-26-2009), sweetfla (11-29-2015), Travs Lady (10-26-2015)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2008, 04:55 AM

Default Justice

All kinds of things go on in prison and trying to correct injustices at this level id like trying to straighten out a hunch-back. Everybody has their price and I'm sure a turnkey at any level is well aware of its power. Undercover work here seems so important. But my guess its the last place a cop wants to work at that level. Maybe Obama will make some changes in this system. There is so much waste involved with warehousing people.
The Following User Says Thank You to pearyb For This Useful Post:
lady winifred (02-18-2009)
Old 02-17-2009, 06:10 PM
Letha67

Jails and prisons are subject to little to no scrutiny, nor do they have to answer to anyone. They do what they want to, because they can. The abuses that go on in them, are many and horrific. In my city, people are known to commit suicide to get out of the terrors they experience. More often you only learn, when you have a family member, or close friend who is in one of them. I have a sister who is extremely ill in one. The abuses do not happen just to people like the Iraquis. They happen to Americans, every day, and night, in this country. It happens in penal facilities thruout this country. The atrocities are one of the U.S.s's "dirty little secrets". Why does it happen? Because not enough people care. Many don't often bother worrying about..complaining inmates..even if their complaints are "real".....A sad, and terrible shame. We are not talking about serial killers, or mass killers here, who probably deserve whatever ill treatment they get. It includes mentally and physically ill people(like my sister), who have just had the misfortune to land in one of these penal facilities. This is including the wrongfully convicted. Only the loved ones most often, learn of the real cruelty, and injustices that can happen in these places.

Last edited by Letha67; 02-17-2009 at 06:18 PM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Letha67 For This Useful Post:
Huskers (10-18-2016), lady winifred (02-19-2009), sweetfla (11-29-2015), tolong (03-22-2009)
Old 02-18-2009, 11:34 PM
lady d

Default Fight against inmate abuse

Well it took my flyer and I don't know how many calls but for once someone took notice and my son was transfered out and now he is okay, some times you can't give up, and this is just the start I'm still writing letters because it is a fight worth fighting i'm getting the word out and i'm also mailing flyers and letters to Albany so the fight go's on, the abuse has to stop and someone has to be held accountable for it when it happens.

I'm planning my next petition
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lady winifred For This Useful Post:
Huskers (10-18-2016), sweetfla (11-29-2015)
Old 02-19-2009, 01:27 AM
Lemon's #1

Default You couldn't be more correct about c/o's that abuse their authority

Truly haven't served alot of time thank God,but The 4 months I did in Upper Marlboro correctional Facility I must say their c/o's were the worst I'd incountered from any other jail.The c/o's wer allowed to treat you any kind of way,and they also provocked people intentionally so that they'd retaliate and make things worse when they went before ajudge sometimes even lengthening their sentence.I used to say that I'd petition it but that stuff was basically forgot about and I moved on.I don't know how to start a petition but if there is one for me to sign I will,since I can relate and remember first hand of how badly the inmates were neglected when we wrote grievances to the white shirts.Nothing ever happened though,but maybe I have more of a voice out here.So I'm definetely with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chynab For This Useful Post:
lady winifred (02-19-2009)
Old 02-19-2009, 01:02 PM
lady d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chynab View Post
Truly haven't served alot of time thank God,but The 4 months I did in Upper Marlboro correctional Facility I must say their c/o's were the worst I'd incountered from any other jail.The c/o's wer allowed to treat you any kind of way,and they also provocked people intentionally so that they'd retaliate and make things worse when they went before ajudge sometimes even lengthening their sentence.I used to say that I'd petition it but that stuff was basically forgot about and I moved on.I don't know how to start a petition but if there is one for me to sign I will,since I can relate and remember first hand of how badly the inmates were neglected when we wrote grievances to the white shirts.Nothing ever happened though,but maybe I have more of a voice out here.So I'm definetely with it.
I know what you mean my son has been part of retailaion and because of my flyer he was transfered out, i'm going to continue to fight for things to change and work to have some one to be accountable for the abuse, or at lease find away to make it publicly known so people can help with the fight I know my fight is far from over be i'm in it for the long hul even after my sons come home.
lady winifred
Old 03-14-2009, 04:35 PM

Angry ..inmate abuse..i know your pain..

in just 3hrs 12min out of a total of 1day 2hrs 49min of life time jail time..they stole my life..they stole the life between me and wife..the hell in the cell invades nearly every thought word deed..what they did never stays in the background for long..what jail admin, internal affairs, city/county/federal investigators/attorneys..and one federal magistrate and his staff so far..have done to "investigate" "hold anyone accountable" is pure criminal cover-up on top of pure criminal behavior..

i will try to spread the word of your story too..people need to know what they don't know they need to know..good luck with finding fairness from someone..i have failed for longer than i care to admit..my specific version of hell was born in 87 days - 3 yrs..it will be born again soon enough..

between now and then is final preparations to move this topic into the forefront of the public conscience..all help..all efforts..all matter..i am sorry you have been given your own particular hell by those who should have been stopped by those who should have stopped them..but didn't..long ago..

it is up to us to take our constitutional rights back from those who stole and continue to steal them..it won't be easy..it must be done..

one ray of hope..almost everything..almost every conversation..almost every lie deception stonewall..digitally recorded..mostly secretly..our best weapons are the ones they provide us by their words..their own lies..evidenced by their recorded voices..

nonviolence - yes..room to get out of their own lies - no..

ghoztzohg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ghoztzohg For This Useful Post:
Huskers (10-18-2016), sweetfla (11-29-2015)
Old 03-26-2009, 09:01 PM

Hi Lady Winfred,
Recently my fiance was verbally physically attacked by one of the officers in attica because he filed a greivance on the officer. He has made several complaints and the pointed the finger and said he is the one that is the aggressor and that he causes trouble. I have written complaints to the internal affairs and the inspector generals office still no response. My fiance tries to send out mail regarding the complaint and the officers in the mailroom disgard his mail. Do you have any suggestions or ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady winifred View Post
I want people to help stand up and say enough stop mistreatment of inmates:

NYS DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTIONS UNDER FIRE FOR ABUSE OF INMATES

I’m go to start this with a quote from the department of corrections own hand book on ASAT/ CASAT programs, where they say:

Harassment or discrimination and retaliation against the complaining inmate is not allowed but it happens. And is tolerated…. The officer threatens the inmate in retaliation for filing a complaint other correction officers know about the harassment but will not say anything. Or report the threatening behavior, harassment, against an inmate. Instead they look the other way and no matter how it will affect the inmate they must agree with the officer. Inmates could end up with added time but it will not matter to them.”

So I will began my letter by saying that the department of corrections is the biggest disappointment
we have in our Government.

Any time correction officers can be made to feel it is alright to beat, harass or threaten some one for no reason and when they are not held accountable for their actions and feel they can do that and get away with it and no one will do anything about it or even care.
Then it’s time for someone to step in and say: “Hey! You have to answer to some one for your actions and the wrong you do.”

How can we allow this to go on unjustified when they are responsible for inmates, Yes they committed a crime but is it not a crime to assault and threaten someone, what makes one right and the other wrong? we put inmates in jail for their crimes why are correction officers allowed to go unpunished for theirs?,
Why do we let Correction officers walk around free, after beating and threatening an inmate and feel they are above the law?

The double standards that we are willing to live by in allowing correction officers to go unaccountable is unjustified and as humans we need to change and take a stand . Maybe justice is blind but is she also inhuman

Well I for one am taking a stand and will do all and anything I can to expose the abuse in our correctional facilities and the New York State Department of corrections for allowing it to go on unpunished.
Where in the USA has it become law that because of the color of your skin, or when you come from poor neighborhoods that you can be mistreated and beaten, threaten and abused because someone don’t like you or where you came from.

“Well it’s not ok, it’s not right and we should not stand by while it continues to happens.” “Where are the rights of the people?”

We need to open our eyes and open the eyes of everyone who didn’t know what is happening in the ny state facilities or who didn’t look the other way because it’s easier then rocking the boat.

Inmates have their rights violated all the time and it has become routine. is just insane thinking, No human should have to go through that nor be made or forced to live in fear of someone who has the responsibility of watching over you.

“Something needs to be done, someone has to be accountable.”
Now this is a clear case of abuse of power, and clearly physical abuse and mental abuse.

Where dose the Department of corrections come off not caring about what happens to the people placed with them, and why are they not accountable for their abusive ways, it is not an isolated situation many of the correctional facilities that the city and New York State run . They need to answer for this to someone because if they are allowed to continue this way why put people behind bars when criminals like correction offices are walking around free of their crimes.

I don’t have all the answers but I do have the complaints and calling Albany don’t help they don’t want to get involved it’s not their problem they say, they can’t get involved not even investigate well some one better do some thing and believe me I will not stop writing and making people take notice about what is going on.
“I will begin to name facilities and officers names”
enough is enough and now it’s time to stand up and make the officials take notice and do something.
“It’s getting out of hand and out of control,”

Too many times inmates pay more then their dues because officers have no respect or concern for human rights, because they wear a badge and have the power to do what ever they want……..

Get this out to as many as you can i am fighting to get help for our loved one's
Old 03-28-2009, 03:46 PM
lady d

Default Thank you

Thank you every one for your story's and you understanding, even though they tranfered him they labled him as a trouble maker, retailation is real and it really damages the inmates, they cover up for one another so much it's hard to dig out the truth, and some times you never get it out, but that should never stop you from fighting, the best way to get the information is not by him writing, they always keep the mail from going out, it has to be given face to face at your visits and you have to remenber everything said word for and on your way home write it down and then you get the mailing done, send letters to the commisor department of corrections, also sent a copy to the preseident obamar and to every important person you can, and let them know that mail is being kept from getting out and what is going on " Let me warn you now that he will go through more problems because of it, it is dangurose to do this best left util e's out free and clear of their reach. build your file and write it all down then when it's time mail it all out I know it's hard to stand by knowing what is going on, you feel helpless but your not you need to fight quitely send me an email and we can work on how to do this and i'll send you my number so we can talk and work on this, if you like together we'll find a way to help.
Best of luck to all who have to suffer so much and feel so helpless, I feel your pain, I know your tears, I hear your prayers... I to am walking the same road.

Last edited by lady winifred; 03-28-2009 at 03:48 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to lady winifred For This Useful Post:
Huskers (10-18-2016)
Old 10-26-2015, 06:55 PM

Hey lady Winifred, i came across ur post and my fiancé is going thru it with this one female corrections officer and 4 out of the 5 months hes been upstate shes wrote him a ticket every chance she gets. I could really use your help on how to send letters to who to call everything.. Please i would greatly appreciate it!
Old 10-26-2015, 07:24 PM

I wouldn't agree murderers need whatever treatment they get. They're still human beings and deserve having their human rights intactand protected.
Let's not forget they're human beings, just like you and me, human beings who made terrible mistakes but human beings nonetheless, deserving to live in decent conditions just like any other inmate.
Just my thoughts....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Szymon For This Useful Post:
frostwoman1954 (11-29-2015), SemoJD (02-27-2016), sweetfla (12-01-2015)
Old 10-26-2015, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady winifred View Post

[b]The double standards that we are willing to live by in allowing correction officers to go unaccountable is unjustified
I experienced the double standard more than once while working at a prison. I realize that this post specifically addresses inmate abuse but the double standard is even more far reaching than that. I had a CO (who was my friend and helped me get the job) ask me if he could buy food stamps from me (which boggled my mind because we had talked about that in the past and he knew I would not sell them) while we sat in the office in the kitchen in the prison in front of witnesses. He really had no shame about it either.
Old 11-29-2015, 05:45 PM

Default And.yet.it.STILL.goes.on.today!!

My/bf/is/going/through/something/similar/at/Clinton.
He's/made/complaints/(so/have/I)and/is/hoping/to/get/transferred/out!
He/hasn't/gotten/mail/from/me/in/almost/3/wks/now/and/I/realise/that/is/bc
of/retaliation!
Other/than/making/a/case,/what/can/loved/ones/do???
I/feel/so/powerless...
Old 11-30-2015, 08:50 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,187 Times in 10,376 Posts

Yes, complaining to prison staff can sometimes make the situation worse because of retaliation. There is no easy answer, but only complain if he asks you to do it.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:56 AM

my son is in protective custody and is being assaulted by inmates. they have no proctective custody there. he was in a fed halfway house and and was set to be sent home and then the jail picked him up. ive made numerous calls to try and have him moved and was told by public defender that he has no rights and is property of Gov. i am sickened to my core and if anyone has any suggestions or information it is so greatly appreciated.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:13 PM
Donation Award 

I have learned they can and do what they want when they want. Most of the guards would probably be in prison because of the way they treat the inmates if they weren't guards. It's so sad, but inmates have absolutely NO rights even tho they are supposed to.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:00 AM

Abuse happens for many reasons because the correctional officers believe when your an inmate and your in jail or prison "your no longer a human"and the public/community believes that because he or she is in prison they deserve to be treated like animals.This mentality has to stop,the state takes no responsiblity for their wrong doings.The court sentences offenders to be state custody for a certain amount of time,if a person is state custody it is responsibility of the state to be hold accountable for the offender's safety,health,etc.And I believe the offender's family need to complain to department of corrections and if possible file lawsuits.These abuses that inmates deal with is horrific it goes from rape to some even murder.A offender's sentence is not be beaten,raped or abused in anyway or form.We as a community need to take a stand and hold prison officials accountable so this can atleast deter others from doing the same thing.Right now prison officials believe NOTHING can happen to them if they abuse a inmate,and you know what?Their right because the judicial system and crazy citizens support them.
The Following User Says Thank You to someguyfrommars For This Useful Post:
Huskers (10-18-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadmom1130 View Post
my son is in protective custody and is being assaulted by inmates. they have no proctective custody there. he was in a fed halfway house and and was set to be sent home and then the jail picked him up. ive made numerous calls to try and have him moved and was told by public defender that he has no rights and is property of Gov. i am sickened to my core and if anyone has any suggestions or information it is so greatly appreciated.
Dear lord I pray for your son to make it alive and peaceful,and normally ALL jails in america have protective custody.As for your lawyer's comments it is sickening granted he has lost his rights but he has and wont EVER loose his human rights.Maybe that lawyer/public defender's opinion might change if his son or daughter was in jail and getting abused.And imagine someone responding "Oh his just government property".Sick world we live in,america is becoming worse and worse..
Old 07-25-2016, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskers View Post
I have learned they can and do what they want when they want. Most of the guards would probably be in prison because of the way they treat the inmates if they weren't guards. It's so sad, but inmates have absolutely NO rights even tho they are supposed to.
Agree many guards are criminals with government uniforms,the reason inmates have NO rights is the LAW and the community.The law makers and community apparently have agreed that ALL offenders in jail or prison deserve to be treated like "dog shit".Like I said family members of prisoners will have to get together,with such a high prison population I hope slowly people will relize inmates are humans and not all offenders are their for violent crimes,even of they are they are still human and deserve some type of right.And it is funny the state claims prison is for "rehabilitation" how can ANY human be rehabilited if he or she is considered "state property"???
Old 09-06-2016, 10:09 PM
Donation Award 

Default human rights try the prison law office

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguyfrommars View Post
Dear lord I pray for your son to make it alive and peaceful,and normally ALL jails in america have protective custody.As for your lawyer's comments it is sickening granted he has lost his rights but he has and wont EVER loose his human rights.Maybe that lawyer/public defender's opinion might change if his son or daughter was in jail and getting abused.And imagine someone responding "Oh his just government property".Sick world we live in,america is becoming worse and worse..
Try writing them. Or the ACLU. I do not know what state you are in but they should be able to direct you.

http://prisonlaw.com/
Old 09-19-2016, 06:45 PM
Donation Award 

Please send me a copy of your petition. I surely want to start one in CA. I did write but do fear retaliation and my LO is already an elderly person.

However, God does not give us a spirit of fear. Someone has to begin. We are a strong force of voters here. I am sure with over half million members you will get enough signatures on your petition. Count me in along with 30 friends.

I am so angry, about this all I could spit nails.

(WE WILL BE 78 YEARS OLD)

I PRAY THE LORD KEEPS US BOTH IN HIS CARE.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:35 PM
Donation Award 

The prisons are allowed to do whatever they want whenever they want. My brother was transferred -took 6 weeks before he made it to his new location. His personal items - most were gone - his radio - his mp3 player - his sweats - his hearing aids - and there is nothing he can do about it. For him to complain will not change the situation - he said "sucks, but it's the life we live." The prison he is at now decided when you get there if you have appropriate clothing on - you can not check the website to determine what is allowed because it may be one visit and not the next. I have to take at least two changes of clothing in case they decide what I have on is not appropriate. Last time I visited, someone was sent back - clothes looked fine to me - came back with a shirt that was more low cut - short sleeves - she visits every weekend and what she was not allowed to wear - she wore the previous month. Amazing the COs and guards have that much power
Old 03-14-2017, 06:40 AM

I am going through same type of medical neglect and them not following their own policy and procedures in Oklahoma. My husband was admit to the hospital and in critical condition and I was never notified. And yesterday he went to work and when he got off work his ride was in a car accident and we had to find another ride for him. He kept in contact at least 3 or 4 times telling where he was and we were still trying to find a ride. Yes it did take 3 hours to get him back, it was sunday and the bus transportation does not run to that area on the weekends. Now he is on restriction no visitation and no work. And he is a paranoid schizophrenic not getting his medication. So when they said he had to do a urine test he freaked out (in his head) and said no. Because he got 8 years for a false positive last time. My husband was locked for 19 months and no trouble till he went into this halfway house. It has horror stories for years online. I started a facebook page to spread the news and get things changed, contacted our governor, representative, tribal leaders, and news media. I need more help. I need my page to go viral and other families to share their stories about Oklahoma Department of Corrections. justice.for.familys.in.D.O.C.system search for it on Facebook, share, and add stories.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:47 AM

Thanked 1,053 Times in 585 Posts

You are a strong woman.

Here's one more lever you can pull. Since your husband has a diagnosed mental illness, the Americans with Disabilities Act might apply. The good news is that the ADA sets up organizations to help. They're called "protection and advocacy" organizations, the one for Oklahoma is http://www.okdlc.org/, and their authority extends to disabled people in state institutions. Not all P&A organizations pay as much attention to prisons as they should, but when they do they bring two very large hammers. They have a right to facility access under Federal law. On top of that, and brace yourself, they have the legal right to bring and use recording equipment inside the walls.

Maybe they won't help. Either it works or it doesn't.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:12 AM

Thank you so much. They have him on restriction now. No calls, visits for 3 weeks and no work because he refused a urine analysis. But him not being on his meds when they said he had to have one he heard, "Take one and your going to get eight years again like the last one." he wants to come home. And now it wont be for another 6 months because he refused the urine analysis. he is sick also and needs treatment and they aren't giving him any. There's a lot of people at this halfway house that dont get medical when they ask and need it.our DOC is under investigation now. Best time to hit them while everything is coming out and public. Thank you again